Search the forum,

Discuss Using solar (and attached direct) cylinders as heat stores in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Or use intermediate vessel, but it is more likely no maintenance on the vessel caused problems.

Thing is, with an open vented system there are no vessels to cause those problems! Regardless, even for systems just ten years old the energy they consumed via their thermal store aspect was simply huge as they were all so poorly controlled.

I do see the benefit of solar but I'd never entertain a thermal store neither would I entertain a sealed/pressurised system. Of course what I do not understand is how one would 'lose' the heat if it wasn't a thermal store. Perhaps it needs to be, is a bigger metalic thermal mass heated using solar but designed more like nuclear fuel rods calculated to absorb huge amounts which can then be lowered into a medium to heat our water. Then we go back full circle to the shc of water and it being a b1tch to heat up...

I need a beer!

Looks similar to a wet (heating only) system I installed years ago at an outdoor centre. Place was off-grid and previously relied on a generator which had been replaced by a wind turbine and solar PV feeding battery storage & inverters with the genny as backup. Existing turbine controls dumped excess energy into a large resistor heating up the locality once the batteries were charged. We fitted a 1000L buffer tank with 4kW immersion heaters (8x500W) switched by the existing controls so instead of wasting energy it was used to preheat the tank. Heating was weather compensated with 3-way valve. According to the site manager the boiler hardly ran at times in spring and autumn.
Water might not be the best material for thermal storage but it's the easiest to install without getting expensive.
Thanks, its also easy to get the heat out of water which, at times when people might not want to use much energy, has its own value.

We design and instal, one off renewable energy solutions, generally for larger properties or small commercial premises. In essence your scheme is viable, but would require a fairly complex control system to optimise the performance - the inclusion of the intermittent heat pump (gym powered) significantly adds to the complexity of the system. Heat pumps ideally need to be operational 24/7

In general, if you can design around standard components a neater more economic solution would be achieved.

Three or four coil tanks are only viable with tank capacities greater than 500 litres.

If you are looking for the system to be granted RHI status, then it would need to be designed strictly in accordance to the RHI scheme rules

Hope this helps

To store enough water for heating isn't on. You would need a massive amount of storage, just think how much water is contained in a central heating system & multiply it by the number of changes you need to keep the house warm. Yes you can get 3 coil cylinders, I have one, the intermediate coil above the solar one is heated by a wood stove, the boiler heats the top one. I also have an immersion heater which is fed by PV solar panels to stop the surplus electricity going back into the grid.

Regards

Chris

To store enough water for heating isn't on. You would need a massive amount of storage, just think how much water is contained in a central heating system & multiply it by the number of changes you need to keep the house warm.
Chris

This was exactly the problem with our local brand Ecostor heatstores. You put the heating on in the morning and your thermal store was full of luke warm water in about an hour, no good for bathing in conjunction with that. Ecostor were usually 300 litres volume I believe and even that would only work with very careful timed use of the system or in a bedsit with 2 rads and one shower, usually electric!

Reply to Using solar (and attached direct) cylinders as heat stores in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock