Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Using solar (and attached direct) cylinders as heat stores in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

Hi, this is all at the stage of considering theoretical possibilities but I'd really appreciate comments and guidance on the workabilities of the ideas proposed:
    (multistage diagram then explanation):
    conventional heating and options for heat storage.png
    (if that didn't work try this: Imgur).

One positive with the ecological movement for many of you guys is that it may bring in a lot more work into plumbing trades. Many ecological groups are saying one of the most effective ways of keeping within renewable provision (via, heatpumps and hydrogen and biogas boilers) is to store heat in between times when provision is high and within times when the wind stops blowing.
    Many have also recognised that water is a great resource for holding heat.
    The diagrams represent my best attempt so far to show how this might happen. The solar cylinder is used because it has two coils.
    Are there products on the market that have three coils?
    If there are two tanks, one for summer and the other added for winter, how could the relationship between the tanks work? At what beneficial heights on solar cylinders are there outlets and how could these outlets best fit in with a parallel cylinder and radiators etc? Would additional pumps be required?
    You'll be well aware of the heat capacity of water and I doubt you've got great affection for ice. The heat pump idea tries to tap into the latent heat of water (which gives off an energy equivalent to the energy in water that's 79.5° above ambient heat.
    Renwable energy providers may begin giving cheaper rates when their production levels are high so it would be great to find systems that can fit.
    Cheers.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

TBH solar isn’t a diy install I would get an approved company in to design what you want and install

3. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

Thanks and yes - its definitely not a job for me. This is more looking at the kind of new developments that councils might support. It's a concept that I'm trying to explore.

4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Looks like ball cocks to me.

The wheel is still round, worked for quite a while.

If your serious get a renewables company in and pay them to create your heating and hot water system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Damn autocorrect

6. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

What are your criticisms of it?
    If you can find me a renewables company that can show how the heat stored in water can be later used for heating I'd be grateful.
    Thanks.

7. gmartine

gmartine GSR

I'd go for a battery array to store all that gym work. ;)

8. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

Each to their own :)
    I'm looking at people who don't want to use energy at times when renewables aren't producing it and who also don't want to get cold.:confused:

9. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

It would also be great to get msg comments if people don't want to reply here.

10. ShaunCorbs

So your looking to sell an idea ?

11. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

Trying to save the world. :)

12. ShaunCorbs

Time to pay the pros to design something for you to pitch then

13. gmartine

gmartine GSR

How do you intend powering the heat pump when no-ones in the gym?

14. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

A scheme to use hot water as a heat store would be great. Any suggestions from the pros here???

15. GregKaye

GregKaye New Member

If you are saying that storing heat in water for later use in heating then fine. Why? What is wrong with the idea? If you are saying that there is a problem with the execution, what?
    You're pros.
    Can you please specify what the issue is?
    Thank-you.