Search the forum,

Discuss Useless foam washer on waste outlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Probably resurrecting an old topic. I am of the opinion that the foam washers supplied with waste outlets are a total waste of time. I read suggestions of forget the washer and use silicon, boss white etc etc.
Anybody have a definitive solution. The one I am trying to fix without leaking is a 1 1/2 on a bath. Is a McAlpine so reasonable make but that foam washer does just not look thick enough to do anything.

I believe it is to absorb any irregularity in the casting of the porcelain of the basin / sink.
Thumbs down for silicone from me (see old thread)...

Use the foam washer on mcalpines

It is so thin in my opinion does not fill the gap between the profile of the waste and the profile of the bath. If it was a bit thicker might actually work.

Should compress when you tighten

Always chuck it in the bin and use silicone. Fits down closer to the bath/basin and does not leak ( leave for few hours before testing).
If job is just change this and nothing more, then use stixall or ct1 as can be tested straight away without compromise.

I think I have a similar problem on my bath in my new flat. Whatever cowboy installed the bath before I bought the place didn't level it or secure it to the wall, applied a super thin silicon bead with the bath empty (split immediately after I filled the bath the first time) or put runners down so two of the feet were over holes in the floor.

I removed the bath, fixed the issues, and sealed up properly but the waste keeps leaking after a while. The foam washer that goes between the plughole and bath is something like the picture below but made of soft white foam and not plastic. Very thin and I have to tighten the plughole screw to stop seepage more often than I'd like. Don't want to end up over-torquing it.

55697.jpg

Only spare I could find was made of medium plastic like the picture (bendy but not soft) so I don't think that's going to conform to the bath any better than the original foam piece.

Since any leaks will be concealed once the bath panels are on, I ended up using low modulus silicon. It's messy and not ideal but provides the most robust solution even if it is semi-permanent. Was considering plumbers mait but heard the movement of the bath could cause leaks down the line and it stains acrylic/fibreglass.

Last edited:
Sometimes the old way is the best way. Plumbers Mate won't let you down here. Get a tub of that, pinch off a blob and roll it into a sausage shape. Use that in place of the seal. Any excess putty will squish out as you tighten the waste down. Then use something like a matchstick or fine plastic scraper to clean up any putty that doesn't just pull away from around the edge of the waste flange.

Sometimes the old way is the best way. Plumbers Mate won't let you down here. Get a tub of that, pinch off a blob and roll it into a sausage shape. Use that in place of the seal. Any excess putty will squish out as you tighten the waste down. Then use something like a matchstick or fine plastic scraper to clean up any putty that doesn't just pull away from around the edge of the waste flange.

It's the upper seal between the plughole and bath, I'm guessing the Plumbers Mate wouldn't stain the inside on the bath, and even if it does, it'll be covered by the plughole but would movement from the bath as you get in and out or fill it for a bath not cause the Plumbers Mate to leak over time?

I'm not a plumber despite my forum name (messed up the signup
process, thought there would be a separate display name option later).

The foam washers you refer to have been around for years and there's been no improvement, completely useless not sure why they waste their time supplying them. Only work on a stainless steel kitchen sink.
Plumbers mait as previously been said fail proof. Silicone a pain in the backside when the waste has to be removed for whatever reason and it does happen ie click clack do fail and its a right struggle getting the waste out when it's been siliconed. Who said we didn't care for the next plumber who comes along.

The foam washers you refer to have been around for years and there's been no improvement, completely useless not sure why they waste their time supplying them. Only work on a stainless steel kitchen sink.
Plumbers mait as previously been said fail proof. Silicone a pain in the backside when the waste has to be removed for whatever reason and it does happen ie click clack do fail and its a right struggle getting the waste out when it's been siliconed. Who said we didn't care for the next plumber who comes along.
Still haven’t had a picture?

It's the upper seal between the plughole and bath, I'm guessing the Plumbers Mate wouldn't stain the inside on the bath, and even if it does, it'll be covered by the plughole but would movement from the bath as you get in and out or fill it for a bath not cause the Plumbers Mate to leak over time?

I'm not a plumber despite my forum name (messed up the signup
process, thought there would be a separate display name option later).

It doesn't stain and it really isn't visible once everything is tightened down and cleaned up. Plumbers made those waste seals, top and bottom for decades past. It's one of those cases where the "old way" is still a very good way. It really is the solution to your problem I think and it's what I would do if you asked me to come and fix this.

Reply to Useless foam washer on waste outlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock