Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented santon (45 yr old?) immersion heater with gravity fed tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I hope someone can help, we recently were forced to move to a ground floor social housing flat because of my partners worsening health condition. It has an assisted shower with a mira advanced thermostatic low-pressure shower unit so hot water for baths isn't a problem.

However, the immersion heater fitted is apparently as old as the building (45 years) and has as far as I'm aware never properly been serviced. I can see some minor fixes probably installed with the new kitchen in 2013 however it's in a right state and the Housing Association say that they will be installing gas in the block of 12 flats sometime...in next year or decade?!?!

We've literally only just moved in and it was boiling so bad that I was scared to even open the door to it, could hear steam and a huge amount of banging as we accidentally had it only for maybe a max of 4 hours? turned it off and no watch it carefully, I can feel the fused switch getting stupidly hot when turning it off and on almost to the point I need insulated gloves to turn it off.

Maintenance has already come around and found both stats at the max when supposed to be 45 degrees but even with them turned down only 3 hours on and it's crazy hot, we've had it off 4 days and the water is as hot as the kettle.

I've attached some pictures, to me someone who's not a plumber and I refuse to even tinker with it seems dangerous. And The water pressure is stupidly low anyways and we don't have a bath. I don't understand why a simple inline water heater wouldn't do the same job better?

20181228_174804.jpg

20181228_174813.jpg

20181228_174822.jpg

tbh its old surprised its still in use, the only thing you can do is keep complaining

it wants ripping out and starting again

tbh its old surprised its still in use, the only thing you can do is keep complaining

it wants ripping out and starting again

Not sure to who at the moment, they say they've done one property last year with gas but jesus Christ it's nearly twice as old as me.

It's a shambles really the housing assoation has alrssdy said we're over a month I arrears because the day we said we were interested was the day we signed up even after notifying them of a current private contract and letting them take the money out of our account.

Is there any chance the local council environment team would say this isn't fit for purpose?

do you have a social worker?

Just concentrate on getting the hot water system in a usable and safe condition, if the water is still too hot then the stat/element maybe faulty or require further adjustment.

Just concentrate on getting the hot water system in a usable and safe condition, if the water is still too hot then the stat/element maybe faulty or require further adjustment.

I have tried I only need a bit of hot water for dishes. We don't have much money far far under the poverty line atm and our last months bill at New place with brand new heating and solar panels was £196.

I'm not sure it just leaving it off is an option, is it possible to isolate the heater at the fuse boxes?

I have tried I only need a bit of hot water for dishes. We don't have much money far far under the poverty line atm and our last months bill at New place with brand new heating and solar panels was £196.

I'm not sure it just leaving it off is an option, is it possible to isolate the heater at the fuse boxes?
£196 is a heck of a bill, can't you just turn it off with the switch in the last photo you posted?

Leave it off, turn it on for 2o minutes` at a time and see if it's enough.

My concern was that it is still crazy hot after four days of being off and there seems to be some blackening on the cylinder above the heating element indicating it may be near to failing. Call them back if it seems dangerously hot if only to adjust the stat again, the header tank looks like it's been renewed but nothing else does.

Ah...just seen the immersion at the base of the cylinder. Surprised you can turn both on at the same time so you must have a dedicated circut and therefore fuse at the board. Ok from now on just use the middle immersion which appears to be connected left switch (Check) unless you need a lot of hot water. Half a tank should be enough for most of your needs.

I've attached some pictures, to me someone who's not a plumber and I refuse to even tinker with it seems dangerous. And The water pressure is stupidly low anyways and we don't have a bath. I don't understand why a simple inline water heater wouldn't do the same job better?

You spoken to the council?

Costs me a fortune running my immersion heater, electric showers and just boil the kettle whenever you need hot water.

Reply to Unvented santon (45 yr old?) immersion heater with gravity fed tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock