Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Indirect Cylinder via Water Softener in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have decided for a Telford Tempest Indirect unvented 250l cylinder to be installed - heat up times seemed better than the joule but the main reason was the dimensions (we only have 1.5m height by 2m width) and didn't want to go for a horizontal.

One issue we might have is the water softener.
We currently have a high flow water softener (on 22mm copper pipes) that connect to our combi (around 2.5m away from one another) which supplies the whole house, except garden tap, with soft water.

The plumber has advised the best location for the softener would be next to the cylinder however this would mean difficulty access the water softener each time we had to replace the salt.
We ideally want to keep it where it is but there is around 9meters between where the cylinder will go and where the boiler is located.

Would there be big reduction in flow rate due to this distance or will we be ok?

The mains pipe is 25mil and flow rate is between 18lpm-20lpm at 2-2.5bar.

Is that the flow rate out of the softener?

Just tested it again with a water flow cup and I am getting 14-16lpm (whole house excluding garden tap runs off the water softener). I have heard due to the recent weather and some issues in my area, the flow/pressure has been reduced...

Just tested it again with a water flow cup and I am getting 14-16lpm (whole house excluding garden tap runs off the water softener). I have heard due to the recent weather and some issues in my area, the flow/pressure has been reduced...

Can I clarify that even the kitchen cold mains is supplied from the softener?

It's a tough one really

You need it connected to your hot water cylinder

I would have a look to see if I could eek a bit more lpm out of my system

Stop tap externally fully open
Inside stop tap fully open etc

Was gonna say those aren’t amazing flow figures

both are fully open but it is down to the water reducing the pressure/flow recently.
If it stays between 14-16lpm, what would that mean for the hot water cylinder?

not really acceptable for an unvented cylinder if you want more than one outlet open at a time

eg basin tap and shower etc

Will this be the softener that is causing such a reduction even thought it has 22mm pipes to the boiler or just poor pressure from the mains?

Looks like the softener is slowing it down by around 4lpm so yes and no really

Just thinking out loud here. Is there any isolators or fittings in between the pipes and the softener that you could change to full bore?

From the
Just thinking out loud here. Is there any isolators or fittings in between the pipes and the softener that you could change to full bore?
From the stop tap it branches off to the garden tap and softener and then on the return from the softener it branches off to the kitchen sink, dishwasher and then the boiler

From the

From the stop tap it branches off to the garden tap and softener and then on the return from the softener it branches off to the kitchen sink, dishwasher and then the boiler

Ok. So doesn’t that mean the only drinking water tap you have is the outside tap?

From the

All in 22mm ?

only the pipe to the water softener and from the softener to the boiler is 22mm.
Rest all 15mm

When the cylinder is installed the plumber said he will run new 22mm to the the new bathroom and existing 1st floor bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Indirect Cylinder via Water Softener in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock