Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder Expansion Vessel - advice sought in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am a homeowner, I had a new unvented cylinder (OSO DC 300) fitted in August, and had a small problem yesterday with the pressure valve dumping water and making a lot of noise. Eventually this was resolved. However, during my conversations with plumbers it appears that I have a red expansion vessel rather than a white or blue one!.

On investigation, it appears that although my cylinder came with a white one, my gas safe heating engineer saw fit to install a different one.

Is this a problem I should have fixed? My 'google' research suggests that the difference is that the red ones are not potable. I am not sure how much of a problem this is.

David

Is the red vessel definitely connected to your mains water supply and not to your central heating system?

If so, it should still function to take up the expansion of hot water - so the fact your Pressure Relief Valve is opening suggests it is either defective or has not been charged correctly (or may even be too small).

The use of a non-potable vessel means that it will disintegrate much sooner. It may also be against the water regulations - someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm.

If so, it should still function to take up the expansion of hot water - so the fact your Pressure Relief Valve is opening suggests it is either defective or has not been charged correctly (or may even be too small).

So, this is a good question. My mains pressure is very high, and there is a valve that 'reduces' it.

Once I got in touch with the installer, he talked me through adjusting the valve to lower the pressure to 2.5 bar and it seems to be fine. I guess my concern is what had changed, given it had worked for weeks with no problems.

Depends on the pre-charge on the vessel. It should be set to whatever your incoming mains supply is reduced to (and this in turn should be set to whatever your cylinder manufacturer has stated).

The idea is that no water enters the expansion vessel at normal reduced mains pressure. Only when the hot water is heated is the expansion taken up by the vessel.

This is weird! Your installer fits a different vessel to the one supplied and then advises you over the phone to adjust the inlet pressure ????
Get an unvented qualified plumber in immediately to check and test the work.
I would doubt if it is safe by your description.
Could you put some photos of cylinder, vessel and pipework?

Its a bit of a pita at the moment.....see if this helps

IMG_3378.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3413.jpeg

I can tell you now it's not fitted right

Contact the unvented unit manufacturer technical and send them some good photos showing the pipes and vessel clearly.
If that vessel is for a sealed heating system, then it will rust through and flood your property with mains high pressure water.

Also the safety discharge isn't correct

Could you elaborate please? what is wrong?

You said yourself the vessel was replaced and by a red smaller vessel
I am going to get it replaced. And as part of the replacement get a verification. However, I would like ShaunCorbs initial view

It is wrong, simple as that. Your installer is responsible for the cost to put it right.
Discharge pipes all must be above the tundish also.
Normally I would say get the plumber back, but not with that job.
Just get the manufacturer to condemn it and you have all the proof that you need before you contact the installer.

Reply to Unvented Cylinder Expansion Vessel - advice sought in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Do most composite valves now for unvented cylinders have a tee on them For the expansion valve connection? The ones I used to fit just had the balanced cold connection coming of it. Them I tee'd off downstream of the composite valve for the expansion
Replies
Views
Potable water unvented expansion vessel needs replacing - water is coming down the tundish. What else needs to be replaced. Does the enginneer need a G3 unvented certificate to do this work and what are the consequences if he does not have one
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock