Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder..best buy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tibbs

Will be extending the house this year and am thinking of putting in an unvented cylinder can anyone recommend one?? Thanks in advance.

All unvented cylinders have such a good build spec,there is not really one that stands out,when you are ready,just shop about for a good deal for the literage you required :)

Cheers, i`m no plumber do i just search for `unvented cylinders`or do i need to be more specific?

Cheers, i`m no plumber do i just search for `unvented cylinders`or do i need to be more specific?

No.That will bring them up,then you just have to sort out what size you need,which will depend on space and you hot water demands
Hopefully you will employ a good enough plumber to sort that out for you

May advise on unvented cylinders,make sure you have flow restrictors on all outlets,especialy if metered,because of pressure you can waste so much water and energy by using unregulated outlets

Puddle, what are flow restrictors? We are metered and yes i will get a fully qualified installer to do the work. From what i`ve read about these they can be very dangerous in the wrong hands so to speak.

I have to disagree about all unvented cylinders being equal.

1st Buy nothing that has a sacrificial anode to replace
although I don't know if any supplier is still making these.

2nd I don't like the internal baffles/airgaps on some cylinders like megaflows. These are some of the best made cylinders around but I think they are a pain. A stainless pressure vessel (just like a posh expansion vessel for your central heating) is a much better and cheaper alternative.

I use the basic Telford cylinders, they take standard fitting immersions and are cheap as chips. I have 4 on a roof housing in one of my own properties and they are trouble free.

Richard.

Puddle, what are flow restrictors? We are metered and yes i will get a fully qualified installer to do the work. From what i`ve read about these they can be very dangerous in the wrong hands so to speak.

When I say metered, I mean if you had have a water meter fitted, you can use alot more water if not careful

This is because you will get great pressure from outlets (as long as good main supply into property)
Which means great shower pressure ,yeeeee,great flow to bath,yeeeee
But often also means great waste
Water is going to become expensive and energy already is, we have efficient boilers to heat our homes and water
Then we go and flush tank full’s of water down the plug holes from these mains pressure fed cylinders
By fitting restrictors at outlets we can control the amount of hot and cold water at outlets thus saving unnecessary energy and water usage
Example, very few people put a plug in a sink when they are using it, they let the tap run when washing, shaving, cleaning teeth, the amount if water used form a tank to cylinder system to and pressurised cylinder is immense, can be maybe four times as much, and that’s four times more hot water
Showers save water over having a bath, you get a shower going from a mains cylinder system, with a nice big shower head and you can use as much water
I am not saying run at a trickle, enjoy a good flow rate but that good flow rate can be gained through restricted outlets from the cylinder and you can save £££'s by doing so:)

I use megaflow, i find them easy to install and problem free. (all depends on the installer) I have fitted others but wouldn't recommend cheaper makes and models apart from the anode all other fittings and valves etc are of a lower quality.

generally speaking the better quality fittings you use the eaiser they are to install and replace parts when needed.

I agree that megaflow are well made cylinders. I have two at home. The only thing is the airgap, that is a pain. I also fitted a megaflow some years ago and the immersion started to leak through corrosion. The immersion is non standard and at that time was not available. The Sadia rep drove me one round and gave me some Heatrae Sadia gifts to recompense me. Great service but shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place. Just fit Telfords now and haven't had a single problem ever. They don't look as good though.
Richard.

Tibbs

What I think is equally as important as a good cylinder, is to ensure that your plumber/installer is suitably qualified to install unventeds.
I have seen a few installs done by complete muppets, that have been dangerous and illegal.

Graham

ps I favour the Santon premier or the Megaflo.Systemfit if you can afford it. It saves on install time.

Thanks for all the advice. I will get a registered ,fully qualified installer to do the job. No good paying out for a quality cylinder and getting someone to `have a go` on the cheap.

Go for a stainless one (some aren't) and get it serviced every year then you should have a 20/25 year guarantee on the cylinder.

From what I understand you have to have this passed by your local building inspector and/or have this installed by a qualified person.

You're right. I'm a registered installer and I have to notify all unvented installations.

Good grief! Got something correct! I'm learning this stuff for an exam soon but keep being interrupted by customers wanting things fixed so I'm not up to scratch yet.

You have to be ticketed to install/maintain systems 15 litres and above.

View attachment 401 I serviced an unvented recently and noticed that the pressure relief valve was preset to 8bar on the megaflow unit pictured. When i tested the valve it backed up from the higher tundish and discharged onto the floor. I advised the customer about this and advised him to keep any valuables off the floor beneath. I was told that for the prv to be set any higher than about 4bar is questionable on sealed systems but this system was electric (megaflow Heatrae Sadia). If the valve did discharge would it do so at the full 8bar straight away or would it trickle out? probably the former but just wanted a second opinion. The sizing of the discharge pipework looked correct. Thanks in advance for any feedback.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heinz when a pressure relief valve lets goes it does not normally gush water out. Normally drips, never normally to back up pipework if disharge pipework installed correctly.

If however the temperature relief on the cylinder lets goes that will gush out.

Main thing about the setting of the PRV is to comply with manufacturers instructions. If they say 8 bar then 8 bar it is.

Check ot out if in doubt.

OK, newbie to this forum, but this thread seems to follow closely to my requirements, so here's the situation:

House ~30 years old, small 3-bed detached, pretty good insulation & double glazing
1 bathroom with bath + shower attachment. May add shower ensuite in future,
Boiler ~6 years old, i-Ideal HE15 15kW, room sealed condensing, vented system.
Hot Water - Gravity fed system, huge cold water storage tank in loft, rubbish pressure!!!!

Thinking of exchanging regular, vented cylinder with unvented to get mains pressure cold + hot water supply throughout house. May add solar panels later.

Cold water really good:
Static ~4.5bar
Dynamic ~2.7bar
Flow ~22ltrs/min

So, attracted to Santon Premier Plus solar indirect 210ltr, but want to make sure I'm making the best choice?

Others have mentioned megaflo, but that it has problems with the integrated "air bubble" for expansion, over a separate, additional expansion vessel (as used by Santon etc).

I posted elsewhere on this forum, but the response was for several other makes e.g. ACV, OSO & Main.

I heard that Megaflo, Santon and Main are all made in the same Heatrae Sadia factory in Norwich anyway.

Am I right to go for the Santon?

If you are set on a BDR store why not get the Main solar store it's the same as Stanton.

Yes it's a good standard cylinder. Don't forget to have it installed by a qualified engineer. One mistake and that's your house and family gone.

I heard that Megaflo, Santon and Main are all made in the same Heatrae Sadia factory in Norwich anyway.

They certainly all come off the same line.

Am I right to go for the Santon?

No, you're not. The Main version will be much cheaper. The difference is that Santon brand has as sales force running round trying to get house builders to specify their product. Do you want to pay for that sales force? No? Thought not. Get the Main version.

Many thanks for the feedback.

How can I ensure that the plumber/installer if G3 qualified (for unvented cylinders)?

Also, who has to notify the local authority (council?), me or the plumber/installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder..best buy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock