Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Unusual noise from pipe. Any thoughts? in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. paul bing

paul bing New Member

Hello everyone.
    I've just noticed a noise from my water pipe. It sounds like water is flowing through the pipe, yet there are no taps in use etc. It is loudest under the sink. I have an outside loo which is close by but isn't making any noise. There is no evidence of leaks anywhere in the house or overflow (I ain't been into the lost though) I'm going to turn off the stopcock tonight just in case. I'm guessing the beast from the east has left me a little gift?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be and/or I go about investigating further before calling my plumber?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chester

Chester Member

do you know where your water meter is?

3. paul bing

paul bing New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't have a water meter. I'm hoping that the supply pipe hasn't sprung a leak somewhere. My local water board offers a free repair service, but with caveats. At least half of that feed is under my garage, if the leak (if that's what it is) is there then they would charge.
    If I turn the stopcock off under the sink when we go to bed should the noise stop, even if it's external, or is the noise simply being transferred along the pipe?
    BTW it's an early fifties house.

4. Chester

Chester Member

what happens when you close your stop cock?

5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If you can hear water running I would say you have a leak somewhere

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

I would agree with Shaun if the sound stops when you close your stopcock then possibly it may be internal but obviously this needs further investigation,usually any pipe from your external stopcock on your property boundry will be your responsibility i am afraid but i am sure your water company will advise you but be aware there are 20,000 customers without water across the southeast so it may take a while . cheers kop

7. paul bing

paul bing New Member

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Last night, when I went to turn off the stopcock, the noise had gone! It hasn't returned at the time of writing. Dunno what it could have been as there were definitely no taps or cisterns open/filling. The noise was at its loudest under the sink like I said, just sounded like water being run through the pipes.

8. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Might of been air moving

9. paul bing

paul bing New Member

I just thought I'd let you know how this panned out. The sound of running water was coming from a leaking pipe - on a house two doors away. Apparently four (semi detached) properties are fed by the same main supply pipe. The WB repaired the pipe and the sound has disappeared! Yey! Thanks for all the replies.

• Like Like x 1