Search the forum,

Discuss Unhappy with my boiler service or am i being fussy? - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I’m after a bit of advice please.

I recently found a Gas Registered small firm to come and service my Boiler and Mega Flo.

The chap turned up and his gas safe card showed he was qualified for all the aspects he was undertaking.

My boiler is a Potterton, last serviced about 18 months before by British Gas, It doesn’t have any labels on it confirming which specific model of Potterton it is (30-100). I pointed this out to the engineer and he said not to worry. However on inspection of the paper readout he didn’t check the gas burner pressure. Each model of Potterton has a different gas pressure requirement. I subsequently emailed the company and they have responded saying he identified it as a 40L and the gas pressure was 11.8 so was in tolerance. But this isn’t on the read out of paper I got from the engineer.

Also he serviced my megaflo as the water pressure in the house is not great, all this involved was him opening the PRV, which improved the water pressure for a second or two only for it to drop back down. I’ve subsequent found online the correct way to recharge the air gap, by opening a tap on the ground floor and draining the whole tank. He did suggest i replace the cold water combination valve.

Finally I asked him to look at a TMV for conservatory underfloor heating, I had to answer the phone, while he was unscrewing the top of the TMV, he subsequently left and when I went to look at the TMV, it was weeping.

I’m subsequently being charged £185 for this service, but don’t feel like anything has been carried out correctly? Am I being too fussy, has everything been done correctly?

Thanks

Did he gas rate the boiler ?

I subsequently emailed the company and they have responded saying he identified it as a 40L and the gas pressure was 11.8 so was in tolerance. But this isn’t on the read out of paper I got from the engineer.

It sounds like he did Gas rate it and found it to be using around 1.4 M/3/Hr which is roughly 15Kw input (11.7 Kw Output).
Hence the identification of 40L. The 40L is 40000Btu/hr output.

Some of us do both Burner Pressure test and Gas rate but you do not need to. You can look at flame picture, flue Gas analysis etc along with Gas rate checks to confirm that something is burning correctly.

The Gas rate information will not be on your read out copy if that was from his analyser.

The other things you mention I cannot comment on without having witnessed them.

Ask them to come back and explain it to you if you think there is something wrong.

Last edited:
It sounds like he did Gas rate it and found it to be using around 1.4 M/3/Hr which is roughly 15Kw input (11.7 Kw Output).
Hence the identification of 40L. The 40L is 40000Btu/hr output.

Some of us do both Burner Pressure test and Gas rate but you do not need to. You can look at flame picture, flue Gas analysis etc along with Gas rate checks to confirm that something is burning correctly.

The Gas rate information will not be on your read out copy if that was from his analyser.

The other things you mention I cannot comment on without having witnessed them.

Ask them to come back and explain it to you if you think there is something wrong.
Thank you Last Plumber, that is very helpful info, and answers my question.

Having run many fitters over the years I would consider it fair to be invited back to rectify the problems. If they refuse or don’t turn up then ...release the dogs of war. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

It’s only my opinion but sometimes before handing the customer a piece of paper it’s better to explain what everything means.

Then the customer understands what’s been done.

Amount of times I’ve gone to jobs and there’s no paperwork or record of work carried out its annoying it’s like the blind leading the blind.

Did you ask the price before employing them?
Hi Scott,
Yes, I got a quote before hand and was happy with the price at the time, but unaware how little was involved in ‘servicing a megaflo’ with no improvement to the pressure. (There are no instructions on the side of my cylinder)
Also I wasn’t expecting him to leave a leaking Tmv.
It was why I wrote this post as I wanted some advice on if the boiler had been serviced correctly.
Thanks all who have posted!

Not a lot in servicing an unvented cylinder. But strainer in combi valve should definitely on the list.

As for the post in general then I believe you are both at fault. He hasn't explained fully what he has done and you haven't asked enough questions to him. After all its your coin you are spending.

Difficult to come onto a forum and ask about what he has done/not done when only you and the service engineer are present.

At least with the leaky tmv it's easy to get them back. Just have a list of questions.

Oh and include the strainer.

Most of the checks for the megaflow will be visual.
Testing both prvs and cleaning out the strainer.

Sounds like you paid quite a lot and got the bare minimum.

Most of the checks for the megaflow will be visual.
Testing both prvs and cleaning out the strainer.

Sounds like you paid quite a lot and got the bare minimum.

Couple of things. Well 3 actually...

1 - Did he show you his G3 qualification? That is NOT the same as Gas, neither is it covered by any gas course.
2 - IMHO, part of the issue here is the nonsense published online with varying, often wrong, information given. As already has been explained, every Megaflow is shipped with a dirty great label which carefully explains how to recharge the bubble. Occasionally tho these are fitted without the internal bubble in order to increase capacity. However, in that case they have an external pressure vessel instead. IF this is your case then the system should have been de-pressurised and that vessel pressure checked. As already mentioned, the control block filter should have been cleaned/descaled as it may be a cause of dynamic flow loss (or as you describe it 'pressure loss').
3 - Personally, I always tested each pressure relief device by physically activating simply to ensure the internal bits were still capable of functioning.

Your 'pressure loss' needs further investigation as a separate entity. As a non-professional, it is normal for you to assume, but more often than not it's simply incorrect on your part as you lack the appropriate experience and understanding.

As already been advised, ask them back. Start the conversation by admitting you assumed (probably incorrectly) that a 'service' would cure your ills. However, be prepared for additional cost as getting to the root cause of your lack of 'pressure' MAY not be as simple as you imagine.

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
all megaflos have the instructions for charging the air gap. if not on the cylinder then you should have owners instructions if you havent got them then use the internet will be instructions and videos on how to

Reply to Unhappy with my boiler service or am i being fussy? - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock