Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Undersink plumbing washing machine etc in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Branchy

Branchy New Member

We've been having issues with our washing machine recently where it is filling up in the drum overnight with clean water.
    I just went to look underthe sink to check (actually don't know what I was checking for!) anyway I knocked a small blue lever about 1/4 turn and all this water came gushing out.
    I have now switched this tap back to off position
    Should there be something at the bottom of this pipe??
    Also washing machine is all plumbed in correctly further along the pipework close to back of machine, so does anyone know why my machine drum is filling up?

IMG_20190610_211838.jpg

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Hello Branchy,
    That appears to be a cold fill for either your washing machine or maybe a dishwasher. What tap is your washing machine plumbed into? Take a photo futher back so we can see a bit more to help us with what maybe the issue. Also anything changed/renewed recently, eg a new tap or shower etc?

3. Branchy

Branchy New Member

The copper pipework that heads out the left side behind has more taps on where the washer and dishwasher both plumb in to.
    Have checked and there's no loose pipework that could go on to this lever under the sink, first time I've properly looked so unsure if there's ever been anything on there.
    Yes we've had a new shower fitted about 3 weeks ago..

4. CBW1982

Ok, so it must be an old feed then. Easily changed to an elbow given the use of speed fit fittings. Do you have a combi boiler? Did this problem start about 3 weeks ago? Could be cold forcing hot out of the way on the shower if it’s a mixer. Are you able to isolate the shower?

5. Branchy

Branchy New Member

Are you able to tell me what sort of fitting I am looking for?
    No this problem with the machine only started about 4 or 5 days ago

6. CBW1982

For which part?

7. Branchy

Branchy New Member

For that undersink bit with blue lever above. What's the part called that I need to get?

8. CBW1982

If you mean when I said it’s easily changed, then you need JG Speedfit Elbow

9. Branchy

Branchy New Member

Thank you :) will sort out fitting that on
    Do you think the problem with the machine is the machine or plumbing related

10. CBW1982

It could be either, that’s why I was asking if anything has changed or been renewed,like your shower. What type of shower is it? Can you isolate it?

11. Branchy

Branchy New Member

It's a electric pressure shower. But it was a replacement for the already existing unit not a new installation. No idea how to isolate it haha

12. CBW1982

I presume it’s a power shower? This could be the issue,but would need to isolate to confirm. There should be isolation valves on the feeds to it.

13. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Hold on, the part with the blue tap is an isolation valve turned off, are you saying replace it with an open elbow?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Branchy

Branchy New Member

What would I be looking for after isolating to determine this was causing the washing machine issue

15. Branchy

Branchy New Member

So if it doesnt need replacing then can I get a cap of some sort to place at the bottom? Didn't realise they were so easy to knock open