Search the forum,

Discuss Under floor heating, radiator replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, im new to the forum and tried to search for a relevant thread, however only error message! So forgive me starting a new thread!
I have a heating system utilising microbore and associated manifolds. I would like to replace one radiator with a single zone underfloor heating system.
Can this be done as a direct replacement? (naturally I require the appropriate valve/pump/stat). I am more concerned with the fact I have a microbore system.
All UFH suppliers do not state in words or diagrams connection to microbore system!
Thanks for any help.

No it can't sorry needs to be from the main circuits before any port valves

No not off a micro bore system bud it will need 22mm flow and return pipework at the boiler. Kop

I have plumbed in an UFH manifold off 15mm after the central heating pump as only replacing one radiator in a single room and little over 1kW output. It works well, but was contrary to manufacturer instructions and I wouldn't have done it had this radiator not been the closest to the pump anyway. Perhaps it robs the rest of the system of flow for the 7 minutes it takes to circulate through the UFH pipework, but that isn't something that gets noticed or cared about.

Main thing is that the UFH manifold needs to have a decent flow when starting from cold so I think you're certainly urinating in the wind trying to run it off microbore. And, as others have said, you need to draw the UFH flow before any zone valves, else the UFH cannot run independently.

Gents, Thanks for the advice - I was afraid this would be the case! Unfortunately some single zone system suppliers are not that clear! Perhaps, profit comes before accurate information!
My next option, which I am afraid may hit the buffers again, - 'is it possible to Tee off an existing radiator connection to a new radiator, again microbore?

Stock answer is no, actual answer is hmm, maybe. Depends on whether the microbore serving that radiator has spare capacity or not, and how big this proposed radiator is.
EDIT - They would have to be VERY small radiators. I combined once, with the tee only inches from the manifold, and it worked well. But the combined output of both radiators was about 700W, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Sorry to say no again 10mm in reality only does one rad

Is the other rad close to ??

Its back-to-back, each side of wall. Ie the integral garage converted to room. It only had one rad, therefore was going to tee off dining room rad to aid heating!

Size of each rad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Under floor heating, radiator replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock