Search the forum,

Discuss UFH mixing valve not restricting heat to floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I would say it's too close
I'm not questionning the the requirements but it's actually further away from opening windows (both horizontally and vertically) than the old horizontal flue was when the house was newly built, silly house layout with the flue going out of the back wall rather than a side alley.

well, as a follow up to my call today RWC technical have replied via email and OK'd my install from my description and photos, their advice is to try restricting the zone actuators and then get a new valve body so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this soon.
Thanks again for all your suggestions, I'll let you know the outcome.

Well I think I've sussed it, I removed the valve to watch the stat react to hot water from the side connection, the stat didn't move at all so I removed the control tap and then the stat and Spring, I then reassembled with no spring and repeated. Still no movement of the stat, and then I realised the stat didn't recess further than flush with the tap base which means no return flow can mix into the inlet through the stat to the pump.
Basically the drilling in the valve body the stat recesses into isn't machined far enough to allow the stat to open!
This also explains why when I wound the tap into the minimum position, if not when it was factory assembled, the stat pin was crushed into the wax body so it appeared damaged when I compared it to a new one.
Pictures uploaded show how the stat plastic surround is flush with the brass body of the tap face when the tap is screwed in, I'll mail the info and pics to RWC but I'm pretty sure it's a manufacturing defect, typical when this is the first time I've used or seen one.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well it's sorted, just before Christmas I bought a new RWC mixing valve.
So it was the valve that was faulty but not in the way I had thought.
Turns out the brass tap mechanism that was fitted to the original unit is incompatible with the main casting and thermostat!
Basically the new tap has a different rear face that essentially makes it shallower and allows the water to flow and the stat to open. I couldn't resist so took the new one apart to investigate!
In the images attached you can see the new assembled unit at room temp with the stat very slightly open from the tap face, i.e. allowing a small flow of returned cooled water from under the floor. The old unit is jammed shut at any temp.
In fact as I'd discovered before, the old unit doesn't allow the stat to move at all, and worse than that as the tap face extends as you dial the temp down it crushes the stat pin into the wax and damages the stat!
The interesting thing is that I've carefully measured all of the new casting and it is identical to the old one so it's only the new tap that is different.
In the new year I'll ask RWC what is going on, because I'm interested to know what has happened here as the valves have the same part no??
The retailer was pretty poor, basically they only supply a whole kit with this valve and pump, so I'd have to pay packaging to return, £250 for a new valve and inferior pump or over 500 for a new kit and then wait weeks for a warranty claim. In the end (and actually suggested by the retailer - cheek) I bought a new valve for £100 from a different supplier to get it in a couple of days and took the cost myself. Bit annoyed and won't be recommending them to anyone soon.
Bottom line is there was nothing wrong with my self-install, it was a really odd, hard to diagnose fault with the mixing valve so I thought I'd share the detail.
I now have a steady 45 degree flow and a very happy cat lying on the new floor :)

New unit slightly open to return flow at room temp:
20171222_151559.jpg

20171222_160830.jpg

New tap has the protruding ring, but shallower main base surround
20171222_160841.jpg

20171222_170920.jpg

At initial low temp the input thermometer reads what I'd expect now, at about 42 on the knob it runs at a steady 45 regardless of other demand on the boiler
20171222_170925.jpg

Last edited:
So, it was equipment failure after all, not an installation error. Good good, glad you got it sorted. Unfortunately most things seem to be built and sold with low margins and this is the sort of sheight that we end up with.

As an aside, I know a plumber who insists the reason a TRV he installed won't allow any hot water through on any setting is that the customer puts her open-shelved TV stand in front of it, thus restricting airflow. I've seen it, I think it's a faulty TRV, as I don't think the shelf can possibly restrict airflow by any meaningful measure, but he was trying to train me so I just nodded politely. The lesson I learnt was to always blow through TRVs I'm about to install and check they are all roughly in calibration with one another, then they should all work about the same as one another. But on the production line, this would cost a few extra pence, which means that by the time it gets to the user, that's another £5 or so. So, sadly...

Going back to UFH, I used a different supplier and was very pleased with the quality of some of the components, and thought others were pants. Only reason I bought the kit was that it was easier to argue potential problems if I had used a kit, rather than make it up myself. I did suggest improvements to the firm, giving them some potentially valuable(?) feedback on what I liked and disliked (it was about 50/50), but they didn't seem that interested (I certainly never heard back) or even that knowledgeable about their products.

Hi. Only just skimmed the thread but this seems exactly the same issue I’m having with a Polypipe 4 port set up and pretty poor technical support from them. Would there be any chance I could speak to you on the phone please rather than send messages back and forth? Thank you

Reply to UFH mixing valve not restricting heat to floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock