Search the forum,

Discuss tundish on condensate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

migoplumber

just been to a job.

found a tundish valve (visual warning device of liquid passing, open to atmosphere) connected directly to condensate of remeha boiler.

we dont need to talk about the boiler, it wouldnt of been my option but one of those things

technically i understand, condensate is part of flue system, as i had never seen this configuration, (which i dont believe is necessary. re tundish) i rang a few friends for an answer.

i wanted to I.D. this boiler, in theory flue gases could escape into the room, even though we all know this is highly likely never to happen, it is possible. and the fact of the matter is that its installed in a police station that i maintain. could do without that sort of grief!!

I was told by friends, that im right, and should I.D. boiler.

however remeha installation manual states, " an air break should be allowed when running the condensate to an internal stack "

as manufactures instruction overide the gas regs to a point, i would like to know if any1 else has found this done before.

many thanks.

shaun.

p.s. i did I.D. the boiler, returning tommorow to remove tundish for my own piece of mind. right or wrong???

Topic: Discharge pipes

Title: Discharges from condensing boilers

Regulation/Byelaw Clause Reference: G19.4

Reference Number: I14

Decision Date: February 2003

Text: The expansion relief valve and the condensate discharge pipes of condensing boilers must be arranged so that their outlets can be observed to have satisfactory air gaps above any tundish which conveys the discharge and so that a discharge from either one can be observed independently of the other.

a tundish also going to waste stack should have a 75mm trap fitted.

[DLMURL]http://www.atmos.uk.com/core_files/productDoc(102).pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks sonray, good quote.
either im being pig headed or i just dont want to accept this.

figure 2 from file is named for "termination for internal stack", no air gap involved no tundish.

figure one tundish included but i cant see or read anything about connection to internal waste.

i just feel this is bad. an air break can be made with a trap/combined air inlet valve. it just all seems wrong.

if this is me being pig headed please tell me, i just feel its unclear.

many thanks
shaun

This goes to demonstrate what we already knew about John Prescott! The purpose of a tundish as incorporated in pressure discharge from boilers, toilet cisterns, unvented cylinders etc is to provide a visual warning that there is a problem. You know there is a problem if you see it dripping! With condensate this would be silly as condensate is intended to flow. I have had to remove tundishes from condensate pipes before national companies would give maintenance contracts because they argued that if the internal boiler trap failed then you could get products of combustion into the room. This is probably also silly as the only problems I have ever come across with boiler condensate is where the stupid things block up and then nothing gets out - least of all products of combustion.

thanks graham
perfect reply, and i agree totally.
but where do we stand legally on this. after more research and a bollokin for condemning a boiler (on which i have now removed tundish and declared ok) your statement agrees with mine, we both know its not going to happen but what if?

shaun

Sounds like one for Corgi's technical helpline - that's what we pay them for...

I have had a few frozen condensate drains lately. When everything backs up on a Worcester or Vaillant the boiler safety cuts out. This couldn't happen if an internal tundish were fitted.

BTW - Remeha Advanta are made by Broag. They're a reputable dutch firm. I understand their stainless heat exchanger is the same one Vaillant use in their Ecotec range.

Rgds - Jon

I agree - one for Corgi's helpline - if you can get them to commit themselves. The problem with the condensate freezing is that if you have a tundish then the stuff spills all over the floor. This probably doesn't fit the idea of 'safe disposal'! I wouild point out that fitting a tundish is quite definitely the exception, so has anyone out there been picked up on inspection by the stazi for not having fitted one?

I bet Corgi will respond with 'what does the installation manual say'

In my years with Corgi Including dealing with an exploding gas meter they were not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tundish on condensate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock