Search the forum,

Discuss Training to fit smart meters (met 1) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,
Just a quick question, can a company train you from scratch just to fit smart meters (met1) ? or would you need to train for a ccn1 qualification first/along side? I was under the impression you would need your ccn1 to be registered gas safe ?
Thank you in advance
Kind regards Steve.

There used to be a short cut into Gassafe by via Met 1 by bypassing CCN1, but it was stopped a good few years ago.

As far as I know and can see on training sites, you need CCN1 to be able to get MET1.

Yes I finished my ACS training a couple of years ago and you do need your ccn1 to do meters. I applied for a job doing meters and they wanted know you had the qualifications before they would talk to you.

We I've just had a message back from the company, and this is what I got:
You gain CMA1 & MET1 enabling you to work on gas meters.
so they train you to get cma1(emergency gas training or meters) instead of ccn1, i presume, wounded ! oh well looks like I'll just pay to get the ccn1 myself in 12 months time then just add on my appliances no biggie! Cheers for the input guys much appreciated!

We I've just had a message back from the company, and this is what I got:
You gain CMA1 & MET1 enabling you to work on gas meters.
so they train you to get cma1(emergency gas training or meters) instead of ccn1, i presume, wounded ! oh well looks like I'll just pay to get the ccn1 myself in 12 months time then just add on my appliances no biggie! Cheers for the input guys much appreciated!

Hello Steven Garden,

This is NOT a tirade aimed at You - I am just commenting on the attitude of the Company that you are quoting.

When ANY Gas Meter is installed as a replacement for an existing / in use Meter the Gas pipework has to be tested and purged to each Appliance and each Appliance has to be visually checked that they are correctly installed / there are no obvious / visual Safety issues when the Gas is turned back on and re-lit to confirm that they are working.

I find it impossible to understand how any Company or person working with Gas could think that a Meter can be legally fitted for a property that has an existing Gas supply and Appliances without the `Meter Fitter` having not only CCN1 Core Gas Safety but also ALL of the Domestic Appliance ACS categories.

Without CCN1 and the Appliance ACS assessment passes how could a person who had been only Trained & Assessed on CMA1 and MET1 have ANY knowledge for example on whether a Gas Boiler was installed correctly or whether a `Gas Basket Fire` was installed correctly or had the correct `Purpose Provided Ventilation` ?

Those are just 2 examples of the MANY `Safety Critical` decisions that a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer / Gas Installer would have to have knowledge of when putting Gas Appliances back into service after a Meter was fitted.

I assume that other Members would agree with these comments ?

Chris

I know for a fact that there's a fair few of the big 6 providers with engineers fitting smart meters without the appliance knowledge/qualifications.
They just replace meter, at risk the installation as "unable to confirm safety" and they then issue a free of charge job to one of their qualified maintenance/repair engineers to go round and check/sign off.

Ridiculous setup I know.

As the amount of people I've heard from who have been talked into having a smart meter fitted only for their installation to be left off afterwards as the meter fitted didn't have the knowledge or ticket to remove boiler case for purge/confirm safety.

Supposed to be same day service but I've seen a few where they were left without the followup appt for days/over a week (in winter time may I add) o_O

Hello Steven Garden,

This is NOT a tirade aimed at You - I am just commenting on the attitude of the Company that you are quoting.

When ANY Gas Meter is installed as a replacement for an existing / in use Meter the Gas pipework has to be tested and purged to each Appliance and each Appliance has to be visually checked that they are correctly installed / there are no obvious / visual Safety issues when the Gas is turned back on and re-lit to confirm that they are working.

I find it impossible to understand how any Company or person working with Gas could think that a Meter can be legally fitted for a property that has an existing Gas supply and Appliances without the `Meter Fitter` having not only CCN1 Core Gas Safety but also ALL of the Domestic Appliance ACS categories.

Without CCN1 and the Appliance ACS assessment passes how could a person who had been only Trained & Assessed on CMA1 and MET1 have ANY knowledge for example on whether a Gas Boiler was installed correctly or whether a `Gas Basket Fire` was installed correctly or had the correct `Purpose Provided Ventilation` ?

Those are just 2 examples of the MANY `Safety Critical` decisions that a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer / Gas Installer would have to have knowledge of when putting Gas Appliances back into service after a Meter was fitted.

Chris
I totally agree Chris, I thought at a bear minimum, you would of be expected to have ccn1 and your main appliances ! well I'm going to go and sit them myself, i take health and safety very seriously and I want to be able to do the job 100% right the first time. Thanks for the comments guys it's much appreciated.

I agree, obviously no offence to Stephen Garden. I think that it is now the norm to 'shorten' qualifications and make them 'specific'.

I know for a fact that a test centre I used has provided a 'shortened version' of commercial. It was for an employee of a company who installs Gas solenoid valves as a component part of fire extinguishing equipment. These are installed in Hospital kitchens. I wouldn't know where to begin with a rant about that one. I haven't got time.

To my mind, experience of the whole is necessary before the focus on one aspect. The opposite seems to be becoming the norm in our trade.

How many "proper" guys here have ALL of the Dom Cats? Even I don't - I dropped WAU last time.

Even with the Cats, there is a serious lack of knowledge displayed on this site.

Has anyone done cma1 along with met1 just to fit smart meters? in my interview I asked how I could do a purge and a relight after fitting a smart meter with out ccn1 and appliances, and i was told with the cma1 its also a core gas safty training course,which covers a purge and relight within the modules I don't know how that can be ?

I personally know someone who’s house was burnt down after a smart meter installation. It’s covered by insurance but that’s not the point.

just been to a job where the meter guy with a gas background has changed both gas and electric meters for smart meters..:. Only problem is, he got the polarity on the electric meter wrong way round and blew the PCB in the boiler

Whoops!!

Just thought I would do a little update I'm now fully trained as a duel fuel engineer I've got a cma1 and met1 the cma1 is a core gas qualification like the ccn1 but a bit more watered down but the training is just as hard as ccn1 theres now a top up in place to gain ccn1 for cma1 engineers. with cma1 you have around 80% of the ccn1 qualification already if anyone wants any answers to anything to do with this subject send me a message.

Reply to Training to fit smart meters (met 1) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock