Search the forum,

Discuss Training Courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Starting to feel confident in Gas and want to go ahead with the course,

My local college don't do any form of gas and just wondering which centres people have used and that have been good.

I dont mind travelling for 10 weeks but it needs to be a good one that wont scam me of my money.

And for all you long time Gas engineers out there don't panic, my plan is

1. Do Gas course
2.Work for a gas engineer (possibly for free if must) for as long as possible until I feel confident on Gas
3.Become gas safe
4. do more work for free
5. Do Boiler manufacturers courses
6. When finnaly feel confident, I will start adding it as a service to customers, not before.

I aint expecting it to be fast, just think it is time to start on it.

If you are starting to feel confident in doing gas work then you must have missed something vital.

find a decent place that will put you on placement and possibly get you a start once you finish your course. My old company had a deal with the college where they took on adult trainees for 6 months only have to pay half of their wages college paid other half, and if they are any decent give them a job after the 6 months, plumbers mates rates is what they got paid.

find a decent place that will put you on placement and possibly get you a start once you finish your course. My old company had a deal with the college where they took on adult trainees for 6 months only have to pay half of their wages college paid other half, and if they are any decent give them a job after the 6 months, plumbers mates rates is what they got paid.

But what happens to my business for 6 months? And where do I go to get this, nearest college to me that does gas is 60 odd miles. So 60 miles travel every day on basic wage, supporting wife and child, whilst also loosing all my current customers, not really an option!! There are so many people on here that have done the training centre route, can nobody reccomend a good one?

dont think your placement is 6 months im talking about after your ACS etc, gets you the experience. Still going to have to work for someone to gain experience for a while so may have to do weekends/evening work for your own customers.

Sorry I think you are missing the point, I am at stage 1, finding somewhere that will not rip me off, get me doing pointless assessments which are not needed, fail me for the smallest of reasons, so that they can charge me for retakes and one that is actually legitimate. I am not lookidvice on how to do it or which route to take, I don't mean to be rude but I have looked it up, researand know which route I want to take. Just want to know which training centres (if any) are good

im not missing the point only giving some advice mate can't answer your question though

try this
Home | BPEC

but as GQ said, it will take more than 10 weeks to do it. You might need to travel 100 weeks to college but harder part will be finding somebody who will take you on to gain some experience and sign your portfolio.

Starting to feel confident in Gas and want to go ahead with the course,
My local college don't do any form of gas
I dont mind travelling for 10 weeks but it needs to be a good one that wont scam me of my money.
I aint expecting it to be fast, just think it is time to start on it.

:driving:..if your willing to travel that far surely there must be another college other than the one you currently attend that covers gas.
It used to take me about 35minutes to get to college.:wink5:
joking aside is there not another college anywhere close to you?

100 weeks?

I have spoken to several colleges and they all say the ACS college part can be done in 4 weeks. Where is 100 weeks?

The workplace part is the longest part, from my research it is varied between a certain amount of hours (100 to 200)
to 5 of each of 5 applaince of each type (bolier, cooker, meters i.e.)

What i am saying is that i do not care what other plumbers say or think about me being a "fast tracker" I dont care about doing it at a training centre and "robbing all the work" off of quality time served plumbers and I definetly don't care about not being able to get a job. Simply put, I get such a job satisfaction from my job and want to complete it and be a fully qualified plumber in the eyes of family and friends (not another plumber).

I am not stupid and do not expect the course to teach me everything, but there are other ways of getting experience.
Where there is a will there is a way. Never give up and all that

As there is a different person on this forum every week ranting and raving about training centres I thought i would see if anybody could reccomend a good one, so that I can look at it.

According to that link, 30 miles there and 30 miles back.

Thats 60 miles or £60 a week on fuel, with minimum wages, plus rent, bills, food, phone and all the rest. Not realistic to be doing it for too long.

Chill out mate :44:

I think you take peoples posts to your queries way to personally, trouble is at the distance of a keyboard it is very difficult to gauge someones answer to your question.

No one on this thread has slated you for being a fast tracker and in general (as a fast tracker myself, now 3 years at running my own company) I don't think many people care about fast trackers either way.

Who does your gas work now? If you have a problem with a boiler who do you call?

This is where you are probably going to get your gas training and work experience. I have a very good friend and I pipe up the boilers when we work together, he checks it I commision it, he checks it and signs it off.

Unfortunately, being fast trackers and working on your own we can't have it all, its a nightmare, your either working or on courses that is the way of it. If your on a course and you loose a customer then thats tough.

If you can't afford to do the gas because of poor wages then again, tough, this is the way of the trade and coming into at an older age.

You don't have to respond to every post people put up, you get more and more annoyed from reading your replies :19:

Chill out mate :44:

I think you take peoples posts to your queries way to personally, trouble is at the distance of a keyboard it is very difficult to gauge someones answer to your question.

No one on this thread has slated you for being a fast tracker and in general (as a fast tracker myself, now 3 years at running my own company) I don't think many people care about fast trackers either way.

Who does your gas work now? If you have a problem with a boiler who do you call?

This is where you are probably going to get your gas training and work experience. I have a very good friend and I pipe up the boilers when we work together, he checks it I commision it, he checks it and signs it off.

Unfortunately, being fast trackers and working on your own we can't have it all, its a nightmare, your either working or on courses that is the way of it. If your on a course and you loose a customer then thats tough.

If you can't afford to do the gas because of poor wages then again, tough, this is the way of the trade and coming into at an older age.

You don't have to respond to every post people put up, you get more and more annoyed from reading your replies :19:

It is a little frustrating when you don't get the answer you are looking for, but instead a lot of answers abut something totally different, but I am a stubborn git and will keep looking. I am the sort of person that feels I do not get my point across well and this is extremed in this forum as every time you try to explain yourself, somebody else will pick a fault with what you write, but I am in the start of my journey and all comments have been taken on board.

It is a little frustrating when you don't get the answer you are looking for, but instead a lot of answers abut something totally different, but I am a stubborn git and will keep looking. I am the sort of person that feels I do not get my point across well and this is extremed in this forum as every time you try to explain yourself, somebody else will pick a fault with what you write, but I am in the start of my journey and all comments have been taken on board.

Love it, I've had 2 replies to my one post.... beat that :30:

100 weeks?

I have spoken to several colleges and they all say the ACS college part can be done in 4 weeks. Where is 100 weeks?

The workplace part is the longest part, from my research it is varied between a certain amount of hours (100 to 200)
to 5 of each of 5 applaince of each type (bolier, cooker, meters i.e.)

What i am saying is that i do not care what other plumbers say or think about me being a "fast tracker" I dont care about doing it at a training centre and "robbing all the work" off of quality time served plumbers and I definetly don't care about not being able to get a job. Simply put, I get such a job satisfaction from my job and want to complete it and be a fully qualified plumber in the eyes of family and friends (not another plumber).

I am not stupid and do not expect the course to teach me everything, but there are other ways of getting experience.
Where there is a will there is a way. Never give up and all that

As there is a different person on this forum every week ranting and raving about training centres I thought i would see if anybody could reccomend a good one, so that I can look at it.

think you may be missing the point, the acs is for experienced plumbers and not designed to be fast track. yes the days in college can just be a handful, doesnt mean there isnt much to learn, it makes the assumption you already know a lot

the only thing that I want to add to that is that the college all say it is approxiamately 10 days, training centre says 10 days.

So how can fast track be any different from the college?

And how is fast track a fast track when it takes the same amount of time either way?

the only thing that I want to add to that is that the college all say it is approxiamately 10 days, training centre says 10 days.

So how can fast track be any different from the college?

And how is fast track a fast track when it takes the same amount of time either way?

ill try to explain.

The ACS is a course for experienced and/or qualified gas fitters (or related trades) It is only the safety aspects of gas and is not designed to train people to be gas fitter, a common misconception.

Therefore 10 days for somebody with skills and experience is reasonable to check they are aware of the safety aspects.

I think he term 'fast track' refers to somebody who wants to do the course with no or minimal qualifications and experience. Often thinking this is some type of gas installation course. Even if successful it will not prove or teach competence to install or maintain but only that you can work safely and ensure appliances are safe to use.

in addition, the 'work placed element' as you put it isnt something designed by the qual such as an NVQ. It is only there to attempt to stop chancers to bluff their way onto the course. If you have an old gas C&G you dont need any evidence as you have proved competence in the past. It is there for the people who have worked in the industry for years but without full quals, it gives them an opportunity to become legal. This evidence point has been confused with being part of the course, it isnt meant to be like that

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah and if you read my original Post I said i am looking to gain experience first, then do the course, then get more experience, go on the manufacturers courses and then go it alone,

My aim is 2 years before I go it alone.

yeah and if you read my original Post I said i am looking to gain experience first, then do the course, then get more experience, go on the manufacturers courses and then go it alone,

My aim is 2 years before I go it alone.

i dont doubt it, but i like to take the opportunity to iron out any misconceptions if i can

And after my original post i spoke to several plumbers in my area and a few are going to get back to me, so might go to college if they offer me some sort of position.

Well at least you tried fuzzy !! can I have a go now.
Hi Jase do you have an NVQ Level 2 or 3 in plumbing or heating? if not you will be classed as a category 3 at any ACS (gas assessment) centre & therefore your only option is to get an NVQ or attend a gas foundation course normally 20 - 25 days of training & building that all important portfolio of gas work evidence done by you but sign off by a GSR engineer. There is no other way around this it will be the same at any college or centre the only thing that changes is the way that you attend (at our local centre you do one day a week for around 20 + weeks). If you pass this course this only gets you the right to sit the ACS as fuzzy was saying us have to have the skills & knowledge to pass & it is one day practical & one day theory. Hope this helps a bit.

I am confused.....

Where in my OP did i ask for the steps to becoming a gas engineers?

I am asking all those thousands of people who come on here and say they have trained through a training centre or are thinking of training through a trainng centre, if anybody can reccomend a good training centres

Now Either there is absolutely no good ones out there or the training centre members haven't read my posts.

Why is it that Nobody can mention training centres on here without getting mixed stories of the routes you have to do and loads of abuse.

And FYI CW, I have been doing plumbing for 4 years now and have my NVQ 2.

"There is no other way around this it will be the same at any college or centre the only thing that changes is the way that you attend"

THIS IS WRONG, I HAVE HEARD THIS ABOUT 10 TIMES, THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT, SOME TRAINING CENTRES HAVE LOCAL GAS ENGINEERS WHO THEY PAY TO TAKE YOU OUT WITH THEM AND SIGN YOUR PORTFOLIO.

The one that I spoke to years ago charged £1,000 for a signed portfolio. People on here need to start researching these training centres and I am sure you will be suprised on exactly what they do.

The only problem is that half the centres say they can get you the experience and then they don't.

Times are changing and people need to accept it. There has been people on here who are talking about "becoming a plumber", Everyone says "don't do it" yet they still do it.

There is nothing you can do to stop these people training, get over it and move on.

:chillpill:.

What you need is a plumber to gas man course. did mine 7 years ago to the tune of 3k. this is a 10 day course and available at most acs centers i did mine at one in london called beta gas training services, but think they've gone under now. only did it there as it was 1k cheaper then everywhere else.
You will need to find someone to help with a portfolio i sat in my local hrpc for an hour one morning got talking with people and after 2 or 3 people found someone willing to help me.
This will get you your ccn1 and any other elements you wish to add.
Once you've done that you can get yourself on makers courses (worth checking in with your local merchant as every now and again they get freebies to hand out).
The rest is up to you!!

dont know where in the land you are so unable to help with specific centers near to you but mine are gas train, and rad training.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I am confused.....

I am asking all those thousands of people who come on here and say they have trained through a training centre or are thinking of training through a trainng centre, if anybody can reccomend a good training centres

Now Either there is absolutely no good ones out there or the training centre members haven't read my posts.

Why is it that Nobody can mention training centres on here without getting mixed stories of the routes you have to do and loads of abuse.

"There is no other way around this it will be the same at any college or centre the only thing that changes is the way that you attend"

THIS IS WRONG, I HAVE HEARD THIS ABOUT 10 TIMES, THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT, SOME TRAINING CENTRES HAVE LOCAL GAS ENGINEERS WHO THEY PAY TO TAKE YOU OUT WITH THEM AND SIGN YOUR PORTFOLIO.

The one that I spoke to years ago charged £1,000 for a signed portfolio. People on here need to start researching these training centres and I am sure you will be suprised on exactly what they do.

The only problem is that half the centres say they can get you the experience and then they don't.

Times are changing and people need to accept it. There has been people on here who are talking about "becoming a plumber", Everyone says "don't do it" yet they still do it.

There is nothing you can do to stop these people training, get over it and move on.

indeed you are confused, and very defensive. I think the recent responses have aimed to explain what the ACS is, what t is for and how it is constructed. It doesnt tell you not to do it?? not sure how you have read that

Once again, there is no port folio in terms of an NVQ. It is just proof of evidence prior to assessment to ensure the short course is being aimed at somebody with experience. The alternative is you do a gas NVQ and therefore no ACS required to become GSR, this does have on site assessment and evidence as part of the course as opposed to a pre requisite.

I dont know about centres as such just the quals. Some will provide longer/shorter training

remember it is only gas safe not competence, good luck with your choices

I carried out a gas course at Steve Willis nr Portsmouth after leaving the Navy they were fine the hardest part is finding someone gas safe to mentor you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I am confused.....

You are spot on there my old fruit, you are most confused !!
First, in your OP you made no mention of where you are based so very difficult for any of us to recommend a good training center to you, don't you think !!!
Secondly do you know that plumbing is a service based industry?? if you talk / treat any customers the way you have been on here you will not have any long term ones, we do not expect thanks for the free help & advice given here but I think we can demand a civil tone. Thirdly you are right what do I know about gas ACS training centers, I only work in one !!! So I think I speak for most people on this thread when I say go away & find your own training center that suits you & your pocket, just remember this, even if you manage to get passed the ACS, Gas Safe will come out to see you working on a number of jobs on your own & if you do not cut the mustard you will not be allowed on the GSR.

Last edited:
You are spot on there my old fruit, you are most confused !!
First, in your OP you made no mention of where you are based so very difficult for any of us to recommend a good training center to you, don't you think !!!
Secondly do you know that plumbing is a service based industry?? if you talk / treat any customers the way you have been on here you will not have any long term ones, we do not expect thanks for the free help & advice given here but I think we can demand a civil tone. Thirdly you are right what do I know about gas ACS training centers, I only work in one !!! So I think I speak for most people on this thread when I say go away & find your own training center that suits you & your pocket, just remember this, even if you manage to get passed the ACS, Gas Safe will come out to see you working on a number of jobs on your own & if you do not cut the mustard you will not be allowed on the GSR.

firstly no,

There could be any all over the country, including OLCI or BTSC which have several all around the country. So no not that hard really, simple really, just tell me which one you have used and if it was any good. not hard is it?

Today I walked up to the customers house to tell them I will fix what i want to fix, aint gonna solve their actual problem, charge them £400 for half hours work, make sure I get paid before I leave or i break there legs and then leave, wheel spinning all over there flower bed.

Get a life and stop being a total arze

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Training Courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock