Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss training at ableskills in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

i paid £1,100 when i first did it in 2000, my reassessment with 5 elements was £880 with 4 days training, i think it was money well paid as the training was very thorough

2. ambrosia

ambrosia Plumber GSR

me too

Ian is a top tutor, and Able are a lot better than BTSC who i did a 6129 with,
    the only thing i would say is when you submit your gas portfolio they seem to be a lot stricter than other colleges

• Like Like x 2
  3. nicky

nicky Guest

thanks to all the replies hav agood xmas and merry new year hope 2011 is more prosperous...cheers

4. billybobconnor

billybobconnor Guest

i just completed 6129 and doing unvented, regs , efficiency in a couple of weeks time...they were fantastic. no sales or hard sell, good instructors and work area. go and take a look

5. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

not doing your nvq?

6. billybobconnor

billybobconnor Guest

im still in the army at the moment and cant commit the time until after xmas. i have been asking local contractors if i can work at weekends and evenings even putting annual leave in for bigger jobs and a full time 3 month resettlement period all for free with no obligation , but its likely that i will have to pay a company for work to complete my nvq, i intend to become fully qualified and work for an employer. its pretty tough getting my foot in the door, but ill keep going as i want to be a plumber and nothing less.

7. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

well good luck mate, you havnt chosen an eay road but i wish you all the best if its your dream

8. BowjeyBoy

BowjeyBoy Guest

I'm the same, I'm based in Larkhill although currently in Afghanistan and all i want to do is be self employed, Starting off as a plumber with gas safe and progressing onto Renewable energy.

I am a fast learner and am looking to do one of these crash courses. The main two i have looked at is able skills and the plumbing academy in Kent.

Now if i am going to commit hard earned money that i have earned from being in this **** tip then i want to know which one i'm going to benefit from the most! Because i'm not the type of person to get ripped off , so if i did one of these courses and found it to be a waste of money and time then i assure you no matter how big the boss is, i will be getting a refund!

But hopefully these companies are good companies with good people.

Good luck to you Billy

9. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

10. billybobconnor

billybobconnor Guest

from the start of my plumbing course able skills made it crystal clear that i would not leave as a qualified plumber but the 6129 was a technical certificate and a step towards NVQ. i would advise anyone who is thinking of a course not to take one which has a specific sales team who try to sell you a course or run a mock aptitude test which everyone miraculously passes. insist on visiting their training establishment and see what is really on offer and ask questions to the students... be prepared to have to pay hard cash to work for a plumbing firm to attain your nvq, it is likely that a company will not touch you without your nvq being achieved. i have not walked into plumbing blind and i am prepared to have to stump up my cash to get qualified. however im in for the long haul and its not going to be easy.

11. bostonlincs

bostonlincs Guest

Able skills is a very impressive company, I came across them in 2007 completing a short plumbing course. The course was informative and structured. At the time I worked Full Time in a different career. I must say though I learnt a lot more through experience but was able to use the learning at able skills to help me get into the trade. In 2009 I returned to Able Skills to complete a Domestic Installers Part P package, this I can tell you a totally different story. Jim was good but the centre had a dispute at the time and one of the tutors left, I passed just like 100% of all the other candidates which I was happy about, I only wanted the cert so I am able to work safely but thinking back I and worried how someone can leave on the Friday and get registered the following week. My experience tells me it is best getting a qualification via a traditional college with experience in the real working environment. Able skills are good enough to get DIY skills but not for the real trade. If you are good and get through the qualification try getting a job, most well paid and professional companies will just laugh and tell you to come back in two years, in that time you might as well got through a college. I am now training in Electrcial Engineering but through a college, the business will never take on quick course tradesmen as a rule due to this experience. I hope this is useful so you can make up your own mind.

12. billybobconnor

billybobconnor Guest

cheers Boston, i am glad that doing a course like that helped you get into the trade, i am hoping for the same chance. i agree completely that experience counts for everything and hopefully someone will see past my lack of experience and see that i am grafter, trustworthy and grateful for employment. willing to start right at the bottom and work an apprenticeship. my career in the army is coming to a close and i now need to focus on working for someone else for the next 20 years. i am sure an employer could benefit from investing a little time in me, for the loyal service i give in return.

13. Mike_Heath

Mike_Heath Guest

I am looking at training with Able skills and was wondering if anyone had anymore comments before I part with cash.

14. niceone7

niceone7 Guest

Hi all i'm currently doing my 6129. i'm doing a practical assessment task from my portfolio low carbon steel sp-1. there asking for me to do a summary of the task without waffaling on what would be the best way to tackle this i don't want to write a full story..lolol

15. SafeGasInstall

SafeGasInstall Plumber GSR