Search the forum,

Discuss Trainee plumber looking for experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all
I am currently studying for a level nvq in plumbing and trying to gain some experience i have emailed a ton of companies but no success any advice? I’m 25 btw so not at college or school and live in northamptonshire
Thanks
Pete

I hear your pain Peter. I remember doing my NVQ's in Site Carpentry and Joinery and getting a day with tradesmen, to get the modules signed off was an absolute orb ache. Thankfully, my old fella pulled me out the mire with the help of his pals (so came down to knowing somebody.)
The plumbers I know, are absolutely mad busy - and in the past I've asked if I can shadow them, but they're either too busy trying to earn a crust or genuinely don't need the help - or, don't like me.

I'm beginning to think whether getting my NVQ's in plumbing is actually worth it at my age (35). A quick Google doesn't produce many plumbing or gas jobs here in Merseyside and those that do require at least three years experience. Unsure as to how I'm supposed to get in to the trade without lucky timing.

Anyway, enough of me chatting on, hope someone can sort you out.

hello and welcome

Welcome Peter,
Im in my mature years and recently swapped trades for plumbing, I new people in the trade I could jump in with for the experience.
I would phone the plumbers and speak to them direct, start with the small companies / 1 man bands and offer to work for free or minimal amount until they feel your worth something to them. If you feel your earning them money and they are not forthcoming then move on.
It wont take long to pick things up but getting in the door is v hard.

Working for free is a misconception, especially with a one man band.

One man band will need employers liability insurance to cover the 'trainee'.
You will be slowing the person down.

So unless you are bringing something to the party or it is somebody who has taken on an apprentice you may find you are pishing in the wind so to speak.

Unfortunately it's not what you know but who you know, especially if you are career changing and haven't been brought in at 16 and paid 2 and 6 a day.

Good luck though.

Reply to Trainee plumber looking for experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock