Search the forum,

Discuss Towel Rail strange happenings... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I am new here and looking for some advice.
I recently installed a towel radiator in the bathroom to replace the old radiator. The towel radiator will not heat up. So far I have tried:
  • Turning off all other rads
  • Bleeding all rads
  • Checked that TRV and lock valve are fully open
  • Closed both valves, dissipated residual air pressure from bleed nipple, removed bleed nipple, screwed in a drain cock with a hose attached, opened trv side and allowed gurgling to stop. Repeated on lock side. (At this point warm water flows into rad), close valves, remove drain cock, bleed nipple back in, bleed air, open both valves, turn heating back on...........COLD!!
Am I missing something here? Could one of the valves be faulty? If so how is it that warm water actually comes through when I do the above?
Does it matter which side the Trv and bleed nipple are on? Currently, both are on right-hand side of rad
Went under house and could feel that the 22mm pipe which feeds the 15mm pipes for this rad is warm but the 15mm pipes are cold.

Property is a bungalow with Combi in loft

IMG_8911.jpg
IMG_8912.jpg
IMG_8913.jpg
IMG_8914.jpg
IMG_8915.jpg
IMG_8916.jpg

I realise your pic is rough but is it a one pipe system ie just one 22 mm pipe feeding both flow and return

you havent teed both into the same pipe have you?

and how come your rad in the bedroom is teed off the same pipe?

your drawing shows two pipes?

If it’s a one pipe system would it require different rad valves?? I know they have to be specific TRVs but I do t know if there is a towel rail equivalent?

sounds like a one pipe system new towel rad wont work

sounds like a one pipe system new towel rad wont work

Managed to get one to work a couple of weeks back, customer insisted on going ahead without converting to two pipe system against my advice. Used swept tees and re routed the main pipe to so that the pipes feeding the towel rad were less than 1m in length.

In this scenario between distance from 22mm pipe and the number of bends between the 22mm & the towel rad its not going to work. Swapping the tees for swept ones and altering the pipework might allow it to work.

Managed to get one to work a couple of weeks back, customer insisted on going ahead without converting to two pipe system against my advice. Used swept tees and re routed the main pipe to so that the pipes feeding the towel rad were less than 1m in length.

In this scenario between distance from 22mm pipe and the number of bends between the 22mm & the towel rad its not going to work. Swapping the tees for swept ones and altering the pipework might allow it to work.
Might :D

I would strongly doubt it. It may not work stilleven with copper swept tees. The rad valves you have are very restrictive and depending on the internals of the towel rad itself they can also be restrictive in order to get an even heat

Thanks all, I think re-routing the 22mm so it runs under the rad and reduces the 15mm tails would be my easiest 1st option then. Do you know if JG do a swept tee?

No there isn't a speedfit swept tee, its hard enough getting your hands on an e/feed one.

With regards to rerouting the 22mm, you've got nothing to loose bar some time, but its much more likely not to work than it is to work imo. It could also be as @Riley says that the internals on the towel rad you have installed are too restrictive, if that's the case no alterations to the pipework or swept tees will get it working I'm afraid.

Reply to Towel Rail strange happenings... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock