Search the forum,

Discuss Towel Rail Heating Element in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andysanders

Hello all. Hope someone can offer me abit of advice...I have a heated towel rail in my bathroom, and have recently purchased a 250W heating element (from Screwfix) for it. However, having turned the element on for over an hour, the towel rail is only 'lukewarm'. The rail is approx 1100mm tall, and the element is wired stright to the mains. I was hoping to put it through a time switch so as to control the times that it turns on. I can't see any variable controls on the unit to control the temperature of the element. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

With a 250w it should be quiet warm within an hour, can you tell if it's switching it's self off via the built in temp control? Could be a faulty one.

need a bit more info. Is it on a sealed rail or is it on a conventional rail. If the latter the heat could just be leeching off through the pipes.
I made my own electric sealed rail. 1100 x 600 curved chrome rail 1200 watt capplilary element with thermostat and indicator light. ( ome of the websites maybe plumbworld had em cheap for 30 notes) in bottom right (capped off tee piece) two air cocks and other entry capped of.
Rail filled with (60/40) etheyl glycol mix same stuff we use in the solar rig circuits ( thanks keston) for sending me twice wot i needed lol. Rail filled up and top two rails left empty to allow for expansion, in all honesty top two rails always cold so probably could have added more glycol but best to err on the side of safety.
All done for around £125 saving a considerable sum on wot they charge for electric sealed rail. Heats up toasty in like 5 mins :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Towel Rail Heating Element in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi there We have a heated towel rail in our bathroom - Heller brand (well the switch is anyway). Was installed about 10 years ago. We have on a timer, comes on in the morning and back again in the afternoon, overall works well. However the Heller Switch / controller has been making a...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hello. I wonder if someone can help. We have noticed 2 issues in our house over the last couple of weeks . We have a Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi combi boiler and have never had problems with it previously 1) central heating always/near constantly on. We have 2 small radiators and a towel rail...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power. There are only a few companies that do central heating systems locally, and they are aimed at the very top end of the market. We are at the lower end of...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hoping someone can help with what I thought was a minor problem/easy fix issue with the towel rail in my new-ish house; it is now permanently cold. I'll explain a bit of background, the system set up and some things I've tried so far... Hopefully I'm missing something blindly obvious...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock