Search the forum,

Discuss Torbeck Bottom Entry Cistern Float Valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monkertron

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I have a problem with a trickle of water constantly filling in the toilet bowl. I've looked in the cistern and it seems to be consistently filling/trickling out of what i've located as a Torbeck Bottom Entry Cistern Float Valve. The water level fills up but not enough to raise the float arm to shut off completely. You can push the arm down gently so it fills above the float and it shuts off. You can screw down the float to a lower level, but the water never fills up to cover the float to shut the fill off.

I did read it may be a problem with: the syphon, or grit or limescale. The latter i have read the Torbecks don't suffer from. I'm not sure what or where the syphon is or looks like on this unit.

Sorry i'm a novice but i reckon i should be able to fix this problem without a plumber.
Thanks in advance.

Well I was just about to offer some advice but then read your bit about fixing it without a plumber so i guess that rules me out. :)

Ahh don't be like that gents. I meant i hope it was fairly simple fix. Of course i bow to all knowledge on here. If it needs a plumber then so be it.

We are only kidding, some of us have a warped sense of humour on here.

1. isolate cold feed to the toilet. You will hopefully have a isolation valve on the cold feed, if not, turn your stop tap off

2. where the arm attaches to the body, you will see a round plastic piece with threads on, unscrew this carfully.

3. This will expose the diaphragm, take careful note of how it fits into the body for reassembly

4. check for any dirt on it or in the body, also check for any rips or tears

5. slowly turn the water on to flush out any debris that may be in the valve, be careful as it will go everywhere if you open it too much

6. reassemble in reverse order ensuring the diaphragm is seated correctly in the valve.

7. If it still does not work, replace the torbeck valve

8. Let me know your address and I'll stick my invoice in the post :)

Thanks. I've tried to point 2 and unscrew the blue threaded circle part from the arm, but it won't budge. Gentle nudge with an adjustable?

You have fallen at the first hurdle:D

Try adjusting the float down first. You said it shuts off if you fill it more so the valve is working ok.

If i adjust the float down, the water still stops short of covering the float.Therefore making the arm completely go up. The water constant fill is coming out the arm joins the diaphragm i think.

im lost, what is the problem, is it the syphon or the float valve? put an opella torbeck syphon in with a built on float the other week, had to get another as the first was letting water in the pan, tried another and it did the same, there cr@p!! never again will i purchase such rubbish!

The water keeps dribbling out i think of the diaphragm by the baseof the float arm. Trouble is i want to get to th diaphragm and clean and check it out. But can't get the damn blue nut off. Is it clockwise or anti? its bloody tuff!

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Turn it anti clockwise as you face it. The fact that the arm is too stiff to properly shut off without assitance means the whole assembly is probably gunked and scaled up, hence added difficulty in shifting nut. A small pair of grips on the widest jaw setting should do it but watch you don't disturb where it sits on the bottom of the cistern. With old stuff in plumbing, touch anything and something will probably leak.

Torbeks are rubbish get a fluidmaster pro valve about a Tenner in screwfix.

What happened to the days when a ball valve was a part 1 or part 2?And a sytphon was a syphon,and carrying spares was possible?Even a toilet flush can be a major job,nowadays.

Part 1? Part 2? Luxury. We used to dream of having a toilet. We used to go in a bucket.

you had a bucket? we had a hole at the bottom of the garden.

Cheers Guys. I took the diaphragm out and the filter. There was gunk in it. Cleaned it out. Now the water is worse and running out on top of the float arm. I think this faulty valve is also contributing to the fact we have water hammer also.
NOW. Should i replace like for like and go with a Torbeck again OR switch to a Fluidmaster Pro45B? Any recommendations?

Also being a novice. When the part says... 1/2" or 3/8" which bit is this refering to - the brass shank? Cheers

it sounds to me that the syphon or what everthey call it now is allowing water to run into the pan therefore the valve never closes personally i never take torbecks to pieces as they are crap now and it sounds like youve buggered it
just replace both valve and syphon

It will most likely be 1/2". If you are not sure take the old one with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Torbeck Bottom Entry Cistern Float Valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Hi all, apologies in advance for my ignorance. I have an old style toilet with what I've researched is a ballcock. The toilet was screaming every time we flushed so I googled and found it was the diaphragm valve that needed replaced. I bought a pack of diaphragm seals and attempted to change...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, one of the two hooks on my toilet Torbeck fill valve has broken, and so the float can't connect. I've bought a new fill valve, however it's incredibly difficult to access underneath and replace the whole valve. I therefore just want to replace the plastic part that has the two hooks...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have fitted this brass float valve to my toilet cistern. Obviously the inlet is the same level as the overflow pipe so it needs to be water tight. The inlet pipe is not flexible and enters the cistern at a slight angle to the side of the cistern, the washer I used is not squishy. The result...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock