Search the forum,

Discuss toilet with powerful flush? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

High level cistern 6-9l
Long flush pipe
Standard non cheap low level pan

High level cistern 6-9l
Long flush pipe
Standard non cheap low level pan
Just to be clear on Shaun's info, the Maximum flush volume allowed in this country is 6 Litres for new install & this is very much an upper limit now days.
We are not allowed to install pressure flushing valve in domestic properties, these are commonly used aboard due to there water supplies.

Just to be clear on Shaun's info, the Maximum flush volume allowed in this country is 6 Litres for new install & this is very much an upper limit now days.
We are not allowed to install pressure flushing valve in domestic properties, these are commonly used aboard due to there water supplies.

Still can get 9l flushing cisterns :D

Can't beat the old toilets 2 gallon flush.
I find a lot of the new toilets flush poorly, so much so that people will flush twice.

I have this problem with mine at home. It was installed and fairly new when I bought the place. I would have just replaced it myself but it's a corner toilet, all tiled in so I've not bit the bullet and changed it yet despite it continuously failing to clear the pan and often blocking with bog roll. I keep a wire coat hanger behind the basin unit as a necessary tool in the procedure. So instead of using around five litres of water per, "Release of the finless brown trout" I'm flushing away 10 or 15 litres of water every time.

I hate my damn toilet but it's a case of "the cobbler's children have no shoes" I'm afraid.

My bathroom at home is just about functional enough to keep the other half off my back - and that'll do. :D

Same here! There is also the fact that my Mrs doesn't have these problems with the pan blocking. I suppose her finless browns are not as monstrous as mine. She probably doesn't use 3/4 of a roll of paper every time either...

Snap Stigster!
Once upon a time many houses ago I thought the toilet waste had been badly done.
Now, many houses later, it seems that most of them had "toilet wastes that were badly done" - so I have eventually had to accept there is something strange about me, or something exceptional about my other half's wonderful cooking (she want me to be fit and healthy so I seem to have a lot of veg!
On the subject of foreign toilets - but off this particular topic I suppose - traditional Austrian pans are rather odd, they give you a chance of having a good look.

wc.jpg

Sorry Vanas, my reply was not much help to you!
I think the issue might not be how powerful the flush is but how the toilet pan is designed. It seems to me that some have bends that are too sharp and either get clogged up or slow down the passage of the water out of the pan - this also means the water level may rise enough that the flush does not do much of a cleaning job in the pan.
I have considered contacting some manufacturers for their view and advice but never got round to it.
I suppose the only thing when buying a new toilet is to study the bends to see if they seem too sharp and also if they appear to restrict the cross sectional area of the exit route.
Then advise me on a good make when you find one!

Sorry Vanas, my reply was not much help to you!
I think the issue might not be how powerful the flush is but how the toilet pan is designed. It seems to me that some have bends that are too sharp and either get clogged up or slow down the passage of the water out of the pan - this also means the water level may rise enough that the flush does not do much of a cleaning job in the pan.
I have considered contacting some manufacturers for their view and advice but never got round to it.
I suppose the only thing when buying a new toilet is to study the bends to see if they seem too sharp and also if they appear to restrict the cross sectional area of the exit route.
Then advise me on a good make when you find one!

You are spot on. Poor performing toilets do not have a formed bend - i.e. an easy flowing path to form the water seal. Instead they form the U cheaply with a blade of pottery so stuff gets stuck and also water turbulance reduces effectiveness.

Bear in mind too, no matter what bog you have, if you dont have an appropriate fall, or a floppy flexi, it simply isnt going to go. In other words, its resistance to flow until it hits the stack seriously matters. Do it right, & 6l works fine. :cool:

Also some of the English manufacturers didn't gear up & change their designs quickly enough when we went from 9 to 7.5 to 6L. They were still selling pans designed with wide shallow inlets & sides with 1 1/2" siphons or flush valves for years after, they just couldn't work with the reduced amounts.
2" valves in CC pans with steep side maximise the kinetic energy of the smaller volumes to clear the modern ones so they are much better albeit on the odd occasions you have to flush twice.

With toilet flushing being the biggest use of treated water it is very important that we stick to the 6Litre max or even reduce it further.

Anyone seen or worked on the vacuum bogs similar to the type on planes? They use around a Litre I believe.

Anyone seen or worked on the vacuum bogs similar to the type on planes? They use around a Litre I believe.

I had cause to stop at Thurrock services recently and they had those. The stink, even though they had quite severe extract (which waste **** loads of energy through heating loss), was truly disgusting! I'd rather crap behind a bridge parapet than go there again.

Ive fitted composing toilets before and they are just FAB. The liquid ran away to a reed bed and the solids got 'turned' manually every few days by turning a handle till it became like soil and was spread back on the land. They did not make you puke when you walked in!!!

I've got a floppy flexi - problem of getting old.:)
My next job in the house is to do the bathroom - and I think that will also entail a whole new stack to get the flow right - the current flexi is pretty much horizontal.

Reply to toilet with powerful flush? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock