Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet smells after flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becady

Hi all, looking for help please with a smelly toilet.

I posted before but was not registered (apologies for this as I was unaware I had to register as the site allowed me to post as a guest). Therefore sorry for duplicating same thread....

I Had bathroom fully refitted with toilet and bath position swapped. Set up is now sink to left and bath to right of toilet and believe all use same drainage under the bath.
The roof vent was removed to allow new full size bath and valves fitted instead-believe they are called air admittance valves?!
When going in the bathroom in the morning the bathroom smells ok.
As soon as toilet is flushed (whether used or not) an awful stink appears and doesn't seem to go all the day the toilet is being flushed. It's a close coupled toilet with economy dual flush which cost around £90. My plumber says it's because it's a cheap toilet....I don't understand what one twice the price would do differently and wondered if replacing would solve problem.
Have checked seals ok, no blockages and adjusting water levels makes no difference.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

when the toilet flushes is there any water left/ does it go away when flushed?

Thanks for your reply...the toilet water level is fine, bowl emptied on flush and refills. All traps have water in them so everything visually appears normal.

Thanks for your reply...the toilet water level is fine, bowl emptied on flush and refills. All traps have water in them so everything visually appears normal.

same with the sink when flushes the toilet does it suck the water out of the sink trap? and where is the aav eg is it vented not boxed in etc

Toilet flush doesn't seem to affect sink trap from what I can work out.
I don't honestly know where the valve is as I can't see it so I assume it must be boxed in somewhere...the bathroom has been fully tiled floor, walls, bath panel etc.

Sounds like the water in one of your traps is being blown or sucked out when the w/c is flushed
If you had a breach somewhere in the vent pipe you would have a continuous bad smell

Has the plumber used an anti vac trap somewhere,this could be faulty

Last edited:
I am not aware of any anti vac traps but I will try and check with plumber.

If the issue is with regards to the water being removed from a trap, would this create an immediate strong smell (which is what is happening)? Also is there a reason why this would be happening and is there a fix for this??

Yes an open trap would cause an immediate bad smell, if the AAV has been fitted in an airtight boxing it won't work as it needs a continuous supply of air to feed the vent thus stopping the vacuum and preventing the water from being sucked out of the traps.

Get the plumber/builder back to investigate, maybe he forgot to fit a AAV.

Thank you all for your replies, an aav was fitted but underneath the bath which is tiled in except for a small gap which leads out to where the back of the toilet is so this may be the problem that the air is not getting to it. However I have managed to view all traps when toilet flushed and water levels are constant which suggests to me water is not being sucked out. Plumber is currently on holiday which is why I am posting here but he did come back to look which is when the replacement toilet was suggested. I think for anyone to investigate fully the bath panel tiles will need to be removed so may have to just accept that and get the tiles off

Thank you all for your replies, an aav was fitted but underneath the bath which is tiled in except for a small gap which leads out to where the back of the toilet is so this may be the problem that the air is not getting to it. However I have managed to view all traps when toilet flushed and water levels are constant which suggests to me water is not being sucked out. Plumber is currently on holiday which is why I am posting here but he did come back to look which is when the replacement toilet was suggested. I think for anyone to investigate fully the bath panel tiles will need to be removed so may have to just accept that and get the tiles off ��

Did your plumber/tiler not make the panel so that it would be removable If needed in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet smells after flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock