Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Toilet/Sink on concrete "step" in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Mike.P

Mike.P New Member

Hi, just joined and would like some advice if possible.

We have just put in an offer for a bungalow which needs a total refurb, everything seems straightforward but the one thing that puzzles me is the bathroom. As you walk in there is a concrete plinth covering probably 3/4 of the floor so to get to the toilet and sink you have to step up on to it. I asked the agent to contact the seller (who is in a old persons home) and the reply was:

As far as I remember No 3 was built approx. 1953/54 and was the first of 5 properties to be built as an extension of Edward Rd below the Drummond Rd/Edward Rd junction' The main drain is at the top of the road on the corner of Drummond/Edward Rd.

As the road slopes away from Drummond Rd it was necessary to provide sufficient ‘fall’ for the WC of No.3 to flow into the main drain by installing the WC on a concrete plinth in the bathroom. Unusual perhaps but it has worked. There have been no significant issues with this arrangement over 60 years of operation. The next house to be built was No 1 but this needed a cesspit installed because the slope of the road was too great to allow main drain connection. However, when this property was modernised a few years ago the cesspit was replaced by a connection to a new main sewer running west to east in the vicinity of “The Paddock”, the property to the south of the gardens of No. 1 and No.3.

So my question is, will this be likely to cause a problem in the future and if so is there an easy way to loose the step when getting the bathroom modernised?

To be honest it doesn't bother us too much but it may be a problem if we decide to move in the future.

Thanks in advance.

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Hello Mike,

Your best bet would be to seek the advice of a plumber or drainage expert, obviously we can’t see the installation so would be difficult to envisage or advise you, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike.P

Mike.P New Member

Thanks for the response.

I could take a photo if that's any good although all it really shows is the raised toilet and sink.

4. snowhead

snowhead Plumber

You'd need to look in the inspection chamber for the house to see how deep the drains are that leave the property, to know whether there is enough fall without the plinth.

The original builder may have been over cautious.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

You can try. Also it may have a soil pipe, see if you can photograph that as well?

• Like Like x 1