Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Toilet not flushing everything in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

Hi guys.

I have just had a new toilet fitted (concealed cistern).

It’s a Tavistock Apex side filling.

Now, it doesn’t flush everything away, mostly toilet tissue, after being ‘used’.

Can anyone tell me what the possible problem is?

Thanks

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Have a play with adjusting the water level higher & lower in the cistern, have found on occasions that too much water can create a vortex of water and waste matter just twirls around in the pan.

3. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

So the previous unit worked ok.
    Was it in the same position.
    was it a like fir like swap ...more info required plse Rob Foster aka centralheatking the acid test is a whole builders bucket of WATER down the crapper in one go, see what happens and report back, with ..ha
    ha NOT photos ...centralheatking

4. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

No. It was a cheap £99 standard toilet that was installed a year ago after a cowboy broke the previous one. It flushed really good.

Then we have had a back to wall pan and the concealed cistern installed, so completely different.

Can the toilet be to blame ie the design of the waste pipe, or is it usually the cistern?

5. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

I’m not at home just now to try the bucket test?

• Like Like x 1
  6. rpm

Yes, sometimes it can be the toilet pan hence adjusting the amount of water in the flush can make a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

Even when using the short flush, sometimes urine is still evident in the pan.

The cistern built in unit hasn’t been sealed yet, so if I can get the problem solved and I need to switch things out that would be cool.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

Also, I want a matte black flush plate. The cistern is pneumatic.

Do I have to get specific flush plates to match up to specific cisterns, or are they all interchangeable. As there are maybe only a couple of matte black flush plates that I have quick access to. Thanks

9. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

It could be as rpm said the level of water in the cistern. It could also be a restriction in the flush pipe, not allowing the full flow of water to take effect. It could also be an issue with the push button and flush valve. It might be worth contacting your installer to put it right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Try setting the inlet valve level higher as above. Also some syphons have buttons on them to adjust the flush levels.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

Just found out the Tavistock apex cistern, whenever I press the full flush, it doesn’t seem to empty the cistern fully of water.

Any ideas?

12. rpm

There is always some left in the cistern.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

I’ve tried throwing a bucket of water and everything disappears.

14. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Active Member

Of course, that bucket is 15 litres, your pan/cistern is designed at 6 litres

15. kevnick80

kevnick80 New Member

So is it likely to be the cistern or the toilet that is the issue with not everything flushing then?