Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet leaking and refilling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

As per my username, I am a complete rookie! Our downstairs toilet seems to refil itself more or less every 5 or so minutes, sometimes less, and it’s driving me crazy!

I’ve put tissue to the back of the basin and indeed water is seeping out nonstop.

I have taken our the flush valve (I think it’s that?) and cleaned the bottom which has a lot of grime on it! Reattached and still happening!

The toilet is about 2 years old (new build). I’ve attached pictures if that helps? Any advice is welcome. The item circled is what I took out, the arrow is what was covered in grime! The unit is stuck to the wall so I’m hoping it doesn’t have to come off?

Thanks

90D55B0D-78B7-4B45-BFD7-518F96C70E8D.jpeg

Hi all,

As per my username, I am a complete rookie! Our downstairs toilet seems to refil itself more or less every 5 or so minutes, sometimes less, and it’s driving me crazy!

I’ve put tissue to the back of the basin and indeed water is seeping out nonstop.

I have taken our the flush valve (I think it’s that?) and cleaned the bottom which has a lot of grime on it! Reattached and still happening!

The toilet is about 2 years old (new build). I’ve attached pictures if that helps? Any advice is welcome. The item circled is what I took out, the arrow is what was covered in grime! The unit is stuck to the wall so I’m hoping it doesn’t have to come off?

Thanks

Hello absolute rookie,

Some things to consider:
Do you know how to isolate it? Should have a valve on it.
Second just double check the seating of where it sits for any debris.
You can obtain replacement rubber seals for those push button syphons and it could also be leaking from in between where it sits through the cistern - in which case the cistern would need to be removed.

Edit/update: the washer could be in tact and as I said could be from the push button syphon/flush valve where it meets the underside of cistern.

Thanks,
Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get a new flush valve washer. Comes with the white plastic clip that holds it in place on the flush valve. Change them regularly and always keep a few on the van.

Ignore valve on left, 9 times out of 10 rubber seal and seat has debris or needs replacing. Most are 1/8th turn to left to disconect and remove after isolating water incoming.
Isolate incoming water and look for securing lugs, remove and inspect seat face`s.

Does it still do it when the lid is off the cistern?

If not then the button is probably pushing down and holding the valve partially open, adjust the height of the valve downwards or shorten the rods from the button.

If it does do it with lid off ignore the above!

Does it still do it when the lid is off the cistern?

If not then the button is probably pushing down and holding the valve partially open, adjust the height of the valve downwards or shorten the rods from the button.

If it does do it with lid off ignore the above!
Good point if a recent install, always worth checking out though.

Looking at your photo it looks like one of the ideal standard flush valves.
As mentioned take a look at the rubber washer for limescale. If need be replace it sometimes the rubber blisters and no longer holds. The flush valve should remove with a quarter turn.
The push button is not adjustable on these as it has a big plastic flat piece on it rather than rods.
With the cistern lid off just make sure the inlet valve isn’t constantly running and water is going down the internal overflow.

Reply to Toilet leaking and refilling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock