Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Flushing Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I've made a video of the problem I'm having. At first the problem was the cistern wasn't filling however I reseated the siphon which has stopped the water running into the pan. Now the issue seems to be that after a flush, the ballcock is stopping the water entering the cistern until I pull it back slightly (13s and 59s in video) which then lets the (I don't know the name of the part at the top of the ballcock) 'fall' which then lets water into the cistern. It's a relatively new toilet at 3 years old.

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated.
Video:

It's been incorrectly fitted.
The whole inlet valve needs to be turned clockwise by 10 minutes on the clock by ever so slightly undoing the plastic nut underneath the fill valve then holding the valve down low and turning it. Once turned you do it all up tight again.
Quite obviously you'll have to turn the water off and also undo the water connection into the valve too.
You can expect water to leak out when you slightly undo the plastic nut underneath.

The whole inlet valve needs to be turned clockwise by 10 minutes on the clock by ever so slightly undoing the plastic nut underneath the fill valve then holding the valve down low and turning it. Once turned you do it all up tight again.
Quite obviously you'll have to turn the water off and also undo the water connection into the valve too.
You can expect water to leak out when you slightly undo the plastic nut underneath.
Really? Quite shoddy then by the builder but I imagine you're not surprised!

So would I have to turn the water off at the mains? Or would turning the water off at the isolation valve going to the cistern be fine? I'm actually here because the original original problem was water leaking from where the isolation valve meets the cistern. I replaced the broken washer with a new fibre washer and that's solved the leak. In trying to troubleshoot this, was it possible I've moved the inlet valve at all when turning the nut?

Am I turning the white nut here?
IMG_20190104_231658.jpg

Yes, it's probably been caused by yourself.
Isolate locally then loosen slightly, twist and retighten.
Centre the float section half way between the fill valve and the cistern wall.

Really? Quite shoddy then by the builder but I imagine you're not surprised!

So would I have to turn the water off at the mains? Or would turning the water off at the isolation valve going to the cistern be fine? I'm actually here because the original original problem was water leaking from where the isolation valve meets the cistern. I replaced the broken washer with a new fibre washer and that's solved the leak. In trying to troubleshoot this, was it possible I've moved the inlet valve at all when turning the nut?

Am I turning the white nut here?
IMG_20190104_231658.jpg

Yes you are. I suspect it was indeed you and thanks for being honest. Yes local isolation will be fine.

thanks bud - that did the trick. Problem solved!

Reply to Toilet Flushing Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Toilet continuously flushing/cistern filling. This happens regardless of what else is going on within the house (videos were taken before and after a shower but this happens seemingly randomly and probably happens when no one is home). As a result my water bill has considerably increased but I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
Hi I've seen a few threads with similar issues to mine, but none are exact. My conceala 2 cistern flushes fine, fills up and stops. But then it periodically flushes some, but not all of its contents to the toilet bowl. This happens pretty frequently. At least twice an hour. I have tried 2 new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock