Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Fill Valve Identification Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

upload_2019-4-15_10-25-16.png

Hi there.

Have any fellow plumbers come across this type of fill valve before? It’s in one of those awkward toilets which is completely inaccessible ie no access to the close coupling bolts or inlet connections because of the style, though it it a close coupled type. My apologies for the poor photo but it the writing looks like “Idrols” (not Ideal). I’ve scoured Google images and can’t find a match. It appears to have a locking nut on the main body (like the fluidmaster). Thanks.

Did the white plastic nut on top with the arm coming out of it originally have a shroud or cover or is that as it comes?

Did the white plastic nut on top with the arm coming out of it originally have a shroud or cover or is that as it comes?
I’m not sure, sorry. Obviously I’m reluctant to open the nut and identify the washer as there’s no way to isolate the valve and sometimes removing a washer and replacing existing (worn) one can get you into a world of pain!

I’m not sure, sorry. Obviously I’m reluctant to open the nut and identify the washer as there’s no way to isolate the valve and sometimes removing a washer and replacing existing (worn) one can get you into a world of pain!

Understood, just that I had a few spare minutes to search for a picture of the valve online. The only distinguishing features in the picture are the blue coloured float/float shroud, that the float appears to be round and the nut is distinctive enough to hope to identify. If it did originally have a cover over that nut it's going to be much harder to identify by pictures online but I'll have another look. No promises though!

Unless it's obvious who the manufacturer is then I wouldn't bother trying to find a replacement. Just turn the water off, take the toilet out and replace with a valve you know you get spares for so future maintenance won't be an issue

I agree, if it was easy to identify it'd be a nice easy job to buy one and just change the top section of it but I think OP will end up having to disassemble the cistern from the pan and do whatever it takes to get at the fixings. I hate these designs for this reason.

My daughter had her syphon fail in her toilet recently and I was relieved to find it was low level wall mounted cistern with flush pipe. So nice to work on these older style installations.

Understood, just that I had a few spare minutes to search for a picture of the valve online. The only distinguishing features in the picture are the blue coloured float/float shroud, that the float appears to be round and the nut is distinctive enough to hope to identify. If it did originally have a cover over that nut it's going to be much harder to identify by pictures online but I'll have another look. No promises though!
Thanks.

Unless it's obvious who the manufacturer is then I wouldn't bother trying to find a replacement. Just turn the water off, take the toilet out and replace with a valve you know you get spares for so future maintenance won't be an issue
I think you’re right. Here’s the toilet, to give you an idea as to why I wanted to fix the existing fill valve

D3959017-6128-4456-ABC2-C5B5B9B470CE.jpeg

Unfortunately that looks like one of them nightmare jobs,

Have you removed the fixing bolts? If not youll have to tackle it with a stanley,

Give yourself just under half a day (don't try crack it out in under an hour)

Slide the toilet out if you have to remove the top of the cistern replace everything you touch, flush valve, fill valve and washers ect...

Seems like over kill and it is, but if I have a shxt job I don't want to be going back.

Good luck

Unfortunately that looks like one of them nightmare jobs,

Have you removed the fixing bolts? If not youll have to tackle it with a stanley,

Give yourself just under half a day (don't try crack it out in under an hour)

Slide the toilet out if you have to remove the top of the cistern replace everything you touch, flush valve, fill valve and washers ect...

Seems like over kill and it is, but if I have a shxt job I don't want to be going back.

Good luck
Thanks. I’ve suggested replacing the whole toilet. It’s bound to be connected via flexible pan connector and flexible hose to fill valve. Once you start moving that about and then putting it back into place , you can’t really check for any leaks unless you’re looking at the ceiling in the kitchen below! Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks. I’ve suggested replacing the whole toilet. It’s bound to be connected via flexible pan connector and flexible hose to fill valve. Once you start moving that about and then putting it back into place , you can’t really check for any leaks unless you’re looking at the ceiling in the kitchen below! Thanks for the advice though.

I can see why it would seem easier to replace the pan, however when it comes the connections aren't guaranteed to be watertight, and if your in a hardwater area you might find yourself with in the same situation in a year or twos time.

If you put in a fill and flush valve that's serviceable from the top, you'll appreciate it when you might have to replace a washer in the future.

A new pan might put them off the job £100+ for a decent one, you replacing all components will be about a score depending where you get your stock from.

Hope all goes well marcus

Damn! What a horrid design from a maintenance standpoint. I dread the day I have any failures with mine at home too. My toilet (already there when I bough the house) is a corner model with all access to fixings and gubbins tiled in.

The one you are dealing with is just as bad :-(

As others have said, I think you'll need to take that out to do any work. If the customer will accept I'd want to do that one on day rates rather than quote for it, unless you feel comfortable adding a "PITA tax" to it and can still get the job.

Reply to Toilet Fill Valve Identification Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock