Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet button stuck because of too much water in tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Wirquin Jolly flush, and the flush button doesn't work, it sometimes gets stuck, which I think is due to too much water being in the tank, putting too much preassure on the cheap plastic mechanism with lifts the (red) plunger - see pictures below.

The top picture is the tank after a flush, which stops filling just below the lifting (flush) mechanism. If I flush when the water is at this level it works fine. However, if the flush is not used for a few hours or overnight (see bottom picture), the tank very slowly fills up further, stops at the top of the red plunger (6 litre). When the water level is this high, the flush button doesn't work, it seems stuck, due to the extra weight of the water on top of the lifting mechanism.

I can't afford to replace with a better system, so trying to fix it. Is there a way to keep the water level at the same height after a flush (guessing around 4 litre), so no extra water feeds into the tank?

1.jpg

By reducing the water level to the level in your first picture. I don't think it will flush the bigger job away. You could replace the middle section. It could be its perished and brittle and wont give the lift?

So I used a Philips screwdriver to give less water to the system, this did not help, as after flushing the water level ended at the same level as the top photo - which is fine, but left overnight the water level rose back up to the 6 litre level (same as water level in bottom photo), which makes the flash button unable to press down.

It seems water is somehow leaking into the tank after the system has finished filling after a flush. When the flush ends I can't hear any noise, or see any water flowing into the tank.

Any ideas where the extra water might be getting into the tank after the flush has ended?

By reducing the water level to the level in your first picture. I don't think it will flush the bigger job away. You could replace the middle section. It could be its perished and brittle and wont give the lift?

I replaced the middle section about 7 months go, so should be ok. The water level in the top photo does flush everything away no problem.

It looks like a fluid master? But can't be sure, I have never seen a blue one. The top should come off and then it will twist. Make sure you hold it further down, last thing you want is it coming loose at the bottom.
replacing-the-inlet-valve-headseal.jpg

If you decide to replace the whole thing go for one that has a brass tail, less chance of cross threading.

It looks like a fluid master? But can't be sure, I have never seen a blue one. The top should come off and then it will twist. Make sure you hold it further down, last thing you want is it coming loose at the bottom.
replacing-the-inlet-valve-headseal.jpg

If you decide to replace the whole thing go for one that has a brass tail, less chance of cross threading.

Thanks very much. On thinking about it the weakest link is the wirquin jolly flush, as the cheap plastic lift mechanism isn't very good. I think replacing that would be much easier than the fill valve.

What is a good (cheapish) dual button flush valve, maybe something concealed, so the water level won't make a difference?

Reply to Toilet button stuck because of too much water in tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock