Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet bowl fails to empty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmadbag

I have a downstairs toilet which has a 90 degree pan connector with boss, and until a few months ago also had the washing machine outlet connected through the boss. I rerouted the washing machine, and I think, but am not sure, that about that time I started having flushing problems. The toilet is near the outside wall, so the soil pipe goes 90 degrees right out of toilet, then the soil pipe exits through the wall, turns 90 degrees down and straight into the ground, so there is effectively no soil stack.

The bowl fills to the top,and over a period of time empties, with various gurgling and bubbling noises. It empties until the level in the bowl is well below normal, virtually empty.

My first thought is to fit an AAV (?) which would presumably have to be internal (frost). If I release the plug on the boss I hear a hissing of air, which I had assumed was higher pressure in the soil pipe. Is this in fact a vacuum that would be cured by having an AAV? If so should I fit the AAV inside, or out, or just drill a hole in the top of the soil pipe bend outside ;) ?

John

Hi John

Just in the process of fitting a new bathroom and using an AAV. Firstly, are you sure the problem is due to not having a vent, I wouldn't expect the level of water in the bowl to drop so low if the vent was to blame, sounds more like a blockage. I think this depends on how easy it would be to fit either option and how much space you have.

Sounds a bit odd that a washing machine was attached to this point! Could crack a couple of jokes......

Hi there

Just experimented some more, and on flush when the bowl fills up air bubbles come back into the bowl at the bottom. This would suggest positive pressure in the pan connector space, and I believe AAV is to counteract a vacuum effect. Also I stuck a pressure washer in the boss today, and although wasn't very effective as the nozzle was too big to get inside, nevertheless toilet seems to be emptying slightly faster. I will get some rods and see if I can get them right down the soil pipe. It does have two tight bends before it sets off for the road so could be that.

Thanks again

well, the last 4 like you discribe that i have done have all been blockages in the pan caused by these. i even had to replace one toilet because it wouldnt budge untill i smashed the pan to bits to see what was causing it.

well i stuck a hosepipe up and wiggled it around ok and if i take the plug out and flush it seems ok, but with the plug in the boss the pressure seems to build. will check pan again

well that's what i thought, but others seem to think differently. Won't be happy if i fit a vent and it doesn't fix it. will try rodding then a vent

Update. If I temporarily fit some pipe to the boss so the soil pipe is open to the air the flush works perfectly, and the water level remains correct afterwards. Although there is a rush of air OUT of the pipe when flushing, from what I have read the flush will not be working because of a negative pressure, so an AAV should fix it, and I can fit an external one. Unless it's a build-up of positive pressure....

Johnmadbag.

For goodness sake forget about an AAV

READ the rerplies

LISTERN to what people are telling you,

You have a partial BLOCKAGE in your pipes.

AN AAV will NOT HELP YOU

An AAV will only let air INTO the system so will not work in your case.

CLEAR THE PIPES and system will work.

use the money saved on an AAV to install some rodding access points.

David

I'd say it's a blockage. By the description of the soile route it is a stub stack going straight into the drain so shouldn't need a vent in most circumstances. I think the washing machine is a co-incidence can't see that making such a difference.

thanks everyone am going with a blockage will borrow/hire some rods and report back

Thanks to everyone particularly those who insisted it was a blockage. I eventually remembered where the manhole cover was under the gravel at the front of the house, opened it up and it was half full. Very pleasant! Blockage was downstream of that manhole so backing up all over the place... Cleared it all out with my new set of rods and now flowing through quite happily. Guess what? The downstairs toilet now flushes normally.

Many many thanks

John

Glad you got it sorted,

You could have fitted an AAV and still been in the s.......

David.

When you have a septic tank that doesn't work well jobs like this are a piece of cake.

Talking of which, I heard of a woman who used to get her spade out once a year and cut the top of the crust off her cess pit and put it on her veg patch. That's taking recycling to a new level!!

when you have a septic tank that doesn't work well jobs like this are a piece of cake.

Talking of which, i heard of a woman who used to get her spade out once a year and cut the top of the crust off her cess pit and put it on her veg patch. That's taking recycling to a new level!!
yup!,
thats what they do in cairo and is why people get the shoots on holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet bowl fails to empty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock