Search the forum,

Discuss To cross bond or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a new boiler installed in one of my buy to lets and the tenant called up after a few months to say they were getting a slight shock through an adjacent tap. My electrician said that this was due to the boiler not being earthed/cross bonded. The guy who installed the boiler said this wasn't a legal requirement and doesn't make a difference and couldn't be the cause. The electrician insists that if copper pipes are used, this is a requirement. I'm keen to know who's right. Any thoughts?

Not required any more as far as I know
Gas should be earthed at the meter and mains cold at the stop tap

I’m not an electrician, but if the system is a PME as most are. Then all exposed metallic pipes will need connecting to the CPC.
A simply resistance test with a multi-meter will prove it.

I've had a new boiler installed in one of my buy to lets and the tenant called up after a few months to say they were getting a slight shock through an adjacent tap. My electrician said that this was due to the boiler not being earthed/cross bonded. The guy who installed the boiler said this wasn't a legal requirement and doesn't make a difference and couldn't be the cause. The electrician insists that if copper pipes are used, this is a requirement. I'm keen to know who's right. Any thoughts?

Any ideas on how many rcds on consumer unit? Should have x2 if 17th edition. As JC plumb stated, earlier still requires cross bonding etc.

Water and gas should be main equipotential earth bonded regardless of wiring edition.

I'm keen to know who's right. Any thoughts?

There is clearly *an* earthing/wiring problem with the property. I suspect you'll find there is a lack of earth continuity somewhere. If so, cross-bonding the boiler may mask the problem but won't fix the root cause.

I think you want someone with a broader-remit than than just the boiler. My vote is that you should get the electrician to check the earthing of the entire dwelling starting at the consumer unit.

Thanks all. The electrical box was replaced at the same time as the boiler so will be a current edition. Sounds like it isn't a boiler related issue after all and checking the earthing of the whole house is the way forward

Judging by this I have found may still not be current edition, but does state that earth bonding arrangements are adequate. Did you receive an electrical condition report and were you issued a certificate?

1F54D354-6929-4140-8289-B76A0CB74F7D.jpeg

If your tennant is reporting an electrical shock issue, then if it was one of my properties I would be round there directly stuff which edition the consumer unit is Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

True. :confused: Sometimes you can get too engrossed in legislation and miss the whole point :eek:

I’m not an electrician, but if the system is a PME as most are. Then all exposed metallic pipes will need connecting to the CPC.
A simply resistance test with a multi-meter will prove it.

Not strictly true.

Get the spark who changed the CU back to check what's going on

The objective of this post was to get information on plumbing requirements and not advice on how best to not kill tenants which I've got under wraps but thanks, keyboard warriors.

Cross bonding (which was the electrician's recommended course of action) has already sorted out the issue. I've raised the question here to check if that's enough since I had a conflicting opinion from the plumber as mentioned. I have an answer to this now so thanks to the people who assisted and stayed on point!

The objective of this post was to get information on plumbing requirements and not advice on how best to not kill tenants which I've got under wraps but thanks, keyboard warriors.

Cross bonding (which was the electrician's recommended course of action) has already sorted out the issue. I've raised the question here to check if that's enough since I had a conflicting opinion from the plumber as mentioned. I have an answer to this now so thanks to the people who assisted and stayed on point!
So the post is misleading and is false and has no relevance.

He's a landlord so what do you think?

Sparkies forum would of torn him to threads.
Didn’t want to be rude and ruin my day mate. It has been quite nice so far even though it’s been busy. This thread just seems like he the OP is after someone to moan about and blame.

He's a landlord so what do you think?

Sparkies forum would of torn him to threads.
For asking questions
Didn’t want to be rude and ruin my day mate. It has been quite nice so far even though it’s been busy. This thread just seems like he the OP is after someone to moan about and blame.

If you don't want to be rude, be helpful like some of the good guys on here. Try it. It will change your life, I promise.

But you have asked a question then stated in a later post it has already been fixed. So why bother posting and wasting everyone’s time?

Because I had.a.conflicting.opinion. As someone suggested earlier in the thread, cross bonding may simply be a bandaid and the real issue remains, which is what I wanted clarity on. I now know that I need my electrician to go back and do an earthing check across the house even though he's told me cross bonding was all that was needed. This is pretty clear if you went through the whole thread instead of taking off on someone while you eat your sandwich.

You accused the people that are trying to help you of instructing you on how not to kill tenants. You then call them keyboard warriors.
You insulted them first when they wanted to help you and give you advice for a job that you then said had been fixed. You said you are happy with your answers so I would recommend that you leave it there.

You accused the people that are trying to help you of instructing you on how not to kill tenants. You then call them keyboard warriors.
You insulted them first when they wanted to help you and give you advice for a job that you then said had been fixed. You said you are happy with your answers so I would recommend that you leave it there.

You've highlighted my point nicely. If you read back through the thread, none of the spite brigade (including you) actually offered any advice pertinent to my question. So alight from thine high horse, stop watching Mean Girls every weekend and let the guys who actually do contribute useful advice speak. Do try and comprehend the fact that I have thanked the people who did help me with my issue prior to you idle lot starting your needless rant. Makes for a much better forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to To cross bond or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock