Search the forum,

Discuss To all Grant installers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

I know that there is not much space around the burner for your oil pipes, especially if you are double piped BUT come through the cab and go vertical, dont try to squeeze them around the burner and FFS, please bend the pipes, dont use hundreds of compression fittings, they WILL LEAK (because as if you do it like that, you are not the sort to use inserts either).

Rant over.

Attachments

• IMG_4903.jpg
    IMG_4903.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 268
No your confused , oil is the same as DIY that's why it's regulated by retired caretakers and is pretty much suck it and see but gas......... Oh hang on ? Did I get it wrong way round?

Lol! That is def done by someone with little experience! I would think all the rest of the work will be very suspect.
Those grant boilers do have the burner too low - even 10mm higher would make a lot of difference.

Lol! That is def done by someone with little experience! I would think all the rest of the work will be very suspect.
Those grant boilers do have the burner too low - even 10mm higher would make a lot of difference.

I agree and now the flexis that come with the boiler are far too short to loop over the top as well.

I agree and now the flexis that come with the boiler are far too short to loop over the top as well.

I guess the reason for the shorter flexis is the longer ones can be too long sometimes & therefore troublesome to fit, but I have replaced some with the longer Riello hoses. I hate the flexis over the top of burners even though it is often only practical way, as if they leak then kerosine will obviously run into the burner. Something for OFTEC to think about & do nothing no doubt.

That guy must be good at something as i can see seven compression joints and to have no leaks on all of them on kero is one hell of a feat for someone that from the onset looks to have very limited skill!!!! :)

I cannot understand the aversion some people have to using a mini pipe bender! Do they think they bring bad luck or something?

That guy must be good at something as i can see seven compression joints and to have no leaks on all of them on kero is one hell of a feat for someone that from the onset looks to have very limited skill!!!! :)

Please note discolouration to the tray :)

I cannot understand the aversion some people have to using a mini pipe bender! Do they think they bring bad luck or something?

I agree, I always straiten pipe first with pipe straightener, then use benders. Use flared fittings as far as possible as they are more forgiving of being knocked.

I don't do much oil, so how do you stop compression fittings from leaking, i have came a cross a couple in my time, Is it just a case of using solder fittings?

Not allowed to use soldered fittings on an oil line, only compression or flared flared fittings. Formed bends are the only way to make sure a bend wont leak! Just a pity so many people wont use a 10mm bender

That would require some degree of skill in calculating where the bend(s) needs to be and possession of a bender.

However maybe if you can't put a bend in a pipe somewhere near, then you shouldn't be touching boilers of any fuel.

Not allowed to use soldered fittings on an oil line, only compression or flared flared fittings. Formed bends are the only way to make sure a bend wont leak! Just a pity so many people wont use a 10mm bender

I didn't think I'd seen any solder right enough :lol:.
Totally agree with the mini bender, i had one for years till it got nicked when my van got done :(.
Which reminds me, i have to get one again ;)

Ive seen a few people saying they dont recommend Grant's or they simply refuse to fit them. Any reasons for this? It's just that ive fitted Grant Vortex's for years and never had any issues with them....

Ive seen a few people saying they dont recommend Grant's or they simply refuse to fit them. Any reasons for this? It's just that ive fitted Grant Vortex's for years and never had any issues with them....

I guess everyone has their personal preference based on their good or bad experiences or just imagination. Bit like cars - I don't like Renaults but some people swear by them.
I have used Grant boilers & found the shells to not leak unless a considerable age. With the exception of 2 faulty brand new Grants - one had a faulty bushing & other was full of rust inside.
The Grants are highly efficient - 93 up to 97% Sedbuk depending on model & output, so that swings it for me. Easy to service also.

i like any boiler that isnt a top loader, but I'll put up with rayburns as you charge more to go near them :)

Are you mainly an installer or are you a service engineer? My wife is never involved in car accidents but she says she sees them all the time in her rear view mirror :)
Most installers that don't service, have no idea of how the product lasts.

Are you mainly an installer or are you a service engineer? My wife is never involved in car accidents but she says she sees them all the time in her rear view mirror :)

That is a good point! I come across a lot of people being recommended a certain type of boiler "because the plumber said it was the best" but the installer never has much to do with them & doesn't service them.
Same applies to basic plumbing - a lot of guys do the big job & don't do repairs & return work for people & never see their work when it leaks or fails to work properly. Therefore they have no proper judgement on what is correct.

I'm an installer and service engineer, been doing it for 10 years now. i agree if a vortex has been left unserviced for years it could be a nightmare to service but if it is done annually it is no different to any other condensing boiler. Its up to the installer/service engineer to make it clear that boilers need serviced annually or it will breach the man warranty. Grant also have the best customer service ive came across

Good to hear. Personally I find they all leak from the AAV (which is why they no longer fit them) and on a regular installation, its impossible to get to the condense outlet if there is a problem there BUT all makes have their annoyances.
Wall hung Vortexs are prone to the bottom baffle over heating and then not coming out.

I don't do much oil, so how do you stop compression fittings from leaking, i have came a cross a couple in my time, Is it just a case of using solder fittings?

Stopping compression joints from leaking - I don't use them in the first place.

Soldered not allowed. Compression joints not recommended (should used flared fittings) but where compression fittings are used they must incorporate stiffeners inside the end of the pipe and when the fitting is done up it nips the pipe onto the stiffener just like blue water pipe.

I don't know of anyone who use's inserts on 10mm pipe. Just nip the olive up, undo fitting add Rocol, do back up and don't over tighten, works every time, no leaks for me.

I don't know of anyone who use's inserts on 10mm pipe. Just nip the olive up, undo fitting add Rocol, do back up and don't over tighten, works every time, no leaks for me.

I'm the same. Except I use Heldite.

Heldite over here is like rocking horse poop. Used to get a little bottle with a tank fitting kit. Prefer it far better than rocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to To all Grant installers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock