Search the forum,

Discuss Timer/Programmer Change/Corgi Registered? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HTB

Here's an honest question, don't need huffy replies, just polite opinions or facts.

An established domestic client of mine has a combi boiler and the electronic timer appears to have failed, its mounted on the casing of the boiler and I strongly suspect it would not be difficult to change as I suspect it slots straight in to retaining connectors/clips. That aside, is it a requirement to be Gas Certified /Registered to change this component??

I ask because it is on the outer casing, is not a "gas" component and neither is it a safety device.

Anyone care to comment?

The line used to be that if you weren't touching the flue, gas or any safety critical parts you were okay to do the job. Don't know if Corgi have changed their guidance in their death throes.

Mike

i wish we did not have to think like this, when we have to question everything we do,
the only thing that might be a problem is when you repair the clock, and its working away nicely, how do you know its working away nicely without doing checks, that can only be done by registerd installers? good luck with it matey

as far as i'm aware if you touch the boiler to effect a repair then this constitutes work on an appliance, stupid for a clock I know, if the clock was not part of the boiler then you'd be ok, but not with integral clock, not worth the risk if something goes wrong ie a CO incident. You are one who the HSE will come after as you we're last on site

Leaky and Jay, both points well made and taken on board.

The boiler continues to function with the clock doing mad things and to be honest my only reticence to changing it would be in case I somehow damaged the PCB (power spike or something).

Its a relatively simple electronic component which readily available as a like for like replacement. To be honest, if I can find a Gas Fitter who will do it for a reasonable charge I'll pass it on, mainly becasue he will then carry the warranty on the work.

Many thanks

H

Thanks also to Mike for input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear of so many fellow trademen being hounded by trading standards because the customer decided to get difficult it just isn't worth the risk nowadays.

Here's an honest question, don't need huffy replies, just polite opinions or facts.

An established domestic client of mine has a combi boiler and the electronic timer appears to have failed, its mounted on the casing of the boiler and I strongly suspect it would not be difficult to change as I suspect it slots straight in to retaining connectors/clips. That aside, is it a requirement to be Gas Certified /Registered to change this component??

I ask because it is on the outer casing, is not a "gas" component and neither is it a safety device.

Anyone care to comment?
Most internal time clocks you have to remove the boiler casing to change, which should only be done by a registered installer.

i have one golden rule when i am out to quote a job,
if in doubt,
dont do it.
next.....

There are always doubts in in most aspects of life, and very few certainties.

There are always doubts in in most aspects of life, and very few certainties.

Very deep. I like it. Perhaps it is time to open a philosophy thread on this forum and show the world that not all plumbers have intellects rivalled only by their stilsons.

As I understand it, you only breach gas regs if you break into the gas train. That is if its a balanced flue job, take the combustion chamber sealed cover off or work on the gas line itself.

Up here in the North, electricians often repair the electronic side of a boiler. What does it matter if the timer goes berserk and you find the central heating going in the middle of the night?
At least it won't kill you, like it would if you mucked the gas train up.
But then the wife might do you some harm being woken in the middle of the night by the boiler switching on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Timer/Programmer Change/Corgi Registered? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock