Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss “Ticking” motorised valve in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. TMHM

TMHM Member

Getting a high pitched “ticking” noise ( I can’t hear it, but the wife can) from the motorised heating/water control valve. Is this normal?

As I typed this, I realised I can check it by turning off the hot water / heating one at a time and see if the telltale moves.

Answers would still be appreciated tho .

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

I haven’t heard it obviously but sometimes the toothed bar or motor cog has a tooth or two missing and it can continuously slip giving a clicking/pinging/ticking type noise!

If it’s that then it needs a new motor at best or new head.

Something to start with anyway!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jerry

Jerry GSR

If you don't have the skill to test it, then replace it.

If you are competent with electrics.

4. TMHM

TMHM Member

Ah!.. and what skill would that be?

5. Jerry

Jerry GSR

If you have to ask, then you don't have it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. TMHM

TMHM Member

replies like that are as good as a chocolate tea pot. I do like supercilious bastards on fora. If you cant be helpful, or at least mildly amusing, you are a waste of space.
    I am sure I have the skill set, however the knowledge on this particular activity may be lacking. Hopefully others are more forthcoming than you. If this is your approach to customers, may your business be short lived. :p :p

7. offgridman

offgridman New Member

If your valve is the type where you can remove the head unit, comprising the gearbox and motor, then get a new head to match yours. Note some motorised valves allow removal of head without draining down, some don't. Wiring from head unit connects with terminala in junction box which should be close by. Simply note which colour wire goes where by looking at old cable wires already in situ. Your new head will come with 1m of cable.
    Safety first. Ensure junction box is isolated electrically before diving in. Use a multimeter or proximity tester to ensure safe before working. Should be a fused switch somewhere to isolate this. Change each wire in turn so you dont lose the plot. It usually looks like a rat's nest in there. Lots of vids on youtube on changing heads. Just not which type you have and drain down if needed.
    Note gearbox might have failed due to stiff valve, so bear in mind that a whole new valve might be needed.
    Work safe. Test your elec tester first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

Do you know which valve you have?

9. TMHM

TMHM Member

Yes. The one in the airing cupboard :D

10. TMHM

TMHM Member

Bgmvsp-23.

Sorry for above ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have checked, by altering the controller, and the tell-tale moves to all three positions, it is just that it ticks.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  11. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Gosh .. not very grateful are you ..

12. TMHM

TMHM Member

for that? No.

for the other comments, Yes, thanks :D

13. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

dead easy to swap if its that bad but its working

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jerry

Jerry GSR

I always encourage anonymous people on the internet to work on electrics.

Aaaaaaaaand guess what? Everyone is telling you the same thing: to replace the valve head. Please use your "skill set" which you are sure you have. If not, follow Offgridman's advice

And don't touch anything or do anything that you are not competent to touch.

There. This supercilious chocolate tea pot has just repeated the same message twice.

Ps. Apparently 2 people found my comment amusing

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. TMHM

TMHM Member

Thank you for your considered response. As I am sure you must have read my first post :p. You will have noticed that I didn’t ask how to replace the valve head, just whether the “ticking” was normal? If not, how to test it, although I believed, subject to confirmation, that I had figured out how to test it! You have not answered, or confirmed whether it can be tested easily or not, but as others have stated, it still seems to be working, albeit with this noise. :D
    You would not have known that I have been a cable manufacturer/ installer for 45 odd years, so understand electrics fairly well although am not, nor have ever needed to be part P certified. :)
    You would also not have known that we have insurance that covers this part and the replacement therof, but as I was only asking if it could be easily tested, this information was superfluous.:eek:
    Your statement about not having the skill was an interesting one as, without knowing a test method, neither you, nor I, could judge whether I had the required skill level, or not. :p

As it appears from the above comments that it should be replaced, I will call out HomeCare and ask them to replace it, however I cannot say that I am confident of their “skill level” either, as they have, in the past, forgotten to solder up solder joints. :eek: