Search the forum,

Discuss Thoughts please about possible cistern issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my outside loo (yes, some old houses still have them!) I can hear the sound of water running through the pipe which runs into the cistern. It is like the noise the cistern makes after being flushed but when it is almost re-filled (a low level noise if you see what I mean). There is nothing coming from the overflow. I use this loo as a storage (dumping) space so I haven't yet had time to clear it and inspect the cistern but I think that may be where the noise is coming from. Any ideas what could be causing this, what I should look for and how perhaps I could fix it.
The stopcock is jammed in the 'on' position, so I can't isolate the supply. I'm going to get my plumber to fit a new one so I can turn the water off altogether permanently, but until he comes I thought I'd ask if there is anything I can do to stop the noise?

Thanks.

Can't be 100% but if it's and old galvanized feed coming from floor and your toilet isn't overflowing then more than likely the pipe underground has burst giving the sound of running water.

Thanks for the replies. The same thing happened over the winter but the noise mysteriously disappeared. No issues since yesterday. As I said the toilet itself if full of junk. I don't know if any wether is trickling into the pan, but from what I can gather (and it's only a guess) the noise seems to be coming from the cistern. I hope its not a burst pipe!

I've just been on the phone to my plumber about having a new stopcock fitted, but can I ask a couple of questions here?

I think the rising main from the stopcock to the cistern is copper (I'll know when I clear the place and check tomorrow) but it will be imperial as opposed to metric. Any issues surrounding this or if it is a lead pipe? Is it possible to fit a new stopcock? Also I have thought about having the supply to the toilet capped off or an outside tap fitted above the stopcock. If so I will remove the toilet bowl and cistern and just use it for what it has become.

just need to tell your plumber if its lead but a new stop tap can be installed no problem on either

and thats fine also just need to tell the plumber incase he needs to get bits etc

Reply to Thoughts please about possible cistern issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern off and this is what I see. I'm assuming the issue is with the silicon gasket (please see attached photos) but can't seem to find a replacement...
Replies
Views
I have a pneumatic concealed cistern behind a removable vanity panel. I pulled the panel off to investigate a dull knocking noise when the cistern is coming to nearly full, I haven't ascertained what this might be as yet, I wondered if it was the cold water pipes knocking (as in water hammer)...
Replies
Views
I own an ArmitageShanks fairly compact cistern pictured. Does anyone know the model and make? 1, Is it close-coupled only or can it be converted to free standing above bowl? 2, Which close-coupled toilet bowls is this compatible with? A wide selection or just one bowl? 3, Modern cisterns like...
Replies
Views
Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock