Search the forum,

Discuss This is the standard of a heating engineer today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

chris watkins

Esteemed
Plumber
This is a classic & really does make me wonder!!
Some of you might think I am over zealot when it comes to the correct level of training for the industry but this might give you an inkling why I am like I am.

Just got of the phone an hour ago from one of our engineers he was booked for a technical visit to a house with a year old Vaillant boiler which has been turning itself on & off randomly all that time & has had a few people look at it so I am told.
Few checks & he finds the controls link still in place, so simple enough removes the 24V link & away we go all sorted, maybe not that uncommon & easy to miss if you don't read the instructions but this is not the issue here.

He is just wrapping up & taking payment when the customer mentions how difficult he finds it to top up the system as there is no gauge (boiler is a open vented / regular type).
Engineer where is the red vessel etc? - customer - haven't got one of them. Engineer - you must have, but quick search reveals, oh no he hasn't, no vessel, no safety valve, no gauge.
Customer - would you mind having a word with the installer please.
Which our engineer does & what do we think this GSR Vaillant approved installer said ?

Answers on a postcard please to PO Box ........

I'm going to give the response a miss but guess it's a good one, just like my last job today.
Bloke been pestering me for weeks about his oil Boiler.
Turns up and it's a firebird kitchen model, condensing.
Keeps locking out won't run longer than 5 minutes.
Turns it on and gets a waft of fumes in the face. No plug in test port.
Runs a while, restarts itself every couple of minutes.
Pulls out burner, nozzles black and signs of sorting.
New 0.85 x 80 ES nozzle in and in goes the analyser.
13% co2, Co up and little excess air.
So ups the air and gets it set at just under 11 co2 and it runs like a train. Last 3 engineers all gas guys.
Bloke then starts saying underfloor heating stats have to be reset everyday. Powered from time Clock and De energise every time Clock knocks them off.
The boilers a 4 porter. Flow from top right hand side and return from bottom left hand side feed underfloor heating. Two port on flow and no pump other than on manifold. Return way hotter than flow.
Return on right hand side rises from boiler to pump, pumping away from boiler. Flow on right hand side rising from boiler hotter than pumped.
We had a discussion about re piping etc then thought better have a look at airing cupboard.
Well, big feck off gled hill cylinder sat on top of a dunsley neutraliser, but no second heat source. Apparently it was plumbed to accept ground source at some time.
Oh and in the boiler room, just below the ceiling there's a chrome towel rail fed from above straight into the top two connections.
Plus the three showers fed from the pump don't work properly.

Job for the new year. He's asked for an estimate. I rubbed the beard and said three hundred a day plus materials and it will take as long as it takes.

its honestly the worst I have seen

I'm going to give the response a miss but guess it's a good one, just like my last job today.
Bloke been pestering me for weeks about his oil Boiler.
Turns up and it's a firebird kitchen model, condensing.
Keeps locking out won't run longer than 5 minutes.
Turns it on and gets a waft of fumes in the face. No plug in test port.
Runs a while, restarts itself every couple of minutes.
Pulls out burner, nozzles black and signs of sorting.
New 0.85 x 80 ES nozzle in and in goes the analyser.
13% co2, Co up and little excess air.
So ups the air and gets it set at just under 11 co2 and it runs like a train. Last 3 engineers all gas guys.
Bloke then starts saying underfloor heating stats have to be reset everyday. Powered from time Clock and De energise every time Clock knocks them off.
The boilers a 4 porter. Flow from top right hand side and return from bottom left hand side feed underfloor heating. Two port on flow and no pump other than on manifold. Return way hotter than flow.
Return on right hand side rises from boiler to pump, pumping away from boiler. Flow on right hand side rising from boiler hotter than pumped.
We had a discussion about re piping etc then thought better have a look at airing cupboard.
Well, big feck off gled hill cylinder sat on top of a dunsley neutraliser, but no second heat source. Apparently it was plumbed to accept ground source at some time.
Oh and in the boiler room, just below the ceiling there's a chrome towel rail fed from above straight into the top two connections.
Plus the three showers fed from the pump don't work properly.

Job for the new year. He's asked for an estimate. I rubbed the beard and said three hundred a day plus materials and it will take as long as it takes.

its honestly the worst I have seen
Do you not look at these jobs & think it took real effort to get it that wrong!!
Just the briefest of glances at the instructions would have been all that is required.
How many times have I seen the MI's with a size 10 signing off the front cover were its been left on the floor only to be picked up reluctantly when it doesn't work.
Is it some sort of pride thing that they shouldn't need to read??

What with the tinernet it only seems to be getting worse. Find a fix in seconds, find out how it should be installed in the first place - no chance.
yours GOM

Last edited:
So.... the installer said it had one (expansion vessel), to which our guy said where, up in the cylinder cupboard came the reply.
There is only the white one on the (unvented) cylinder said Mike our guy, where's the heating one & the safety valve. Why would it need another one & there are 2 safety valves on the cylinder!!!!!!!!

Just a filling loop was all that is needed, don't know why you guys waste your money buying & installing those sealed system robo kits?? One year it has been like that, Building control certs (via Vaillant) on site the lot.

I have a feeling he missed the day they did direct / indirect cylinders & primary / secondary waters on his 4 week plumbing course.
What do you think?

So.. the installer said it had one (expansion vessel), to which our guy said where, up in the cylinder cupboard came the reply.
There is only the white one on the (unvented) cylinder said Mike our guy, where's the heating one & the safety valve. Why would it need another one & there are 2 safety valves on the cylinder!!!!!!!!

Just a filling loop was all that is needed, don't know why you guys waste your money buying & installing those sealed system robo kits?? One year it has been like that, Building control certs (via Vaillant) on site the lot.

I have a feeling he missed the day they did direct / indirect cylinders & primary / secondary waters on his 4 week plumbing course.
What do you think?
:eek::eek::eek:

So.. the installer said it had one (expansion vessel), to which our guy said where, up in the cylinder cupboard came the reply.

What do you think?

Suspect he missed all but the first and last days of his 4 weeks. They wouldn't have cared #BumsOnSeats :(

Sounds like a building project in Dovercourt, Essex where they got a plumber to install WCs and a SVP: the whole lot. BCO comes along and complains he cannot see the vent. The project manager asks the plumber where the vent terminates. The plumber points to the top floor toilet and says the stack is 'vented through the toilet: the toilet is the vent'. True story.

Reply to This is the standard of a heating engineer today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock