Search the forum,

Discuss Thermosyphon loop with a boiler stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a multi-fuel boiler stove heating a 600l tank with an internal coil using a thermosyphon. The problem is that when the stove cools the thermosyphon reverses, the stove becomes a radiator and I loose my hot water.
I have installed a n/r valve (flap, not spring) but it reduces the flow rate to the extent that the water boils in the stove.
Can anyone suggest a way to prevent the thermosyphon reversing but still allow unrestricted foreword flow?

Hi Alan
This is not my area of expertise but it sound like you might be able to alter the pipework on the return from the store to the boiler so that you form a anti-siphons loop i.e. the pipe drops down some distance below the connection level into the boiler then comes back up & connecting.
Shoot me down in flames someone.

Hi Alan
This is not my area of expertise but it sound like you might be able to alter the pipework on the return from the store to the boiler so that you form a anti-siphons loop i.e. the pipe drops down some distance below the connection level into the boiler then comes back up & connecting.
Shoot me down in flames someone.
Thanks for that input Chris, The outlet from the storage tank and the inlet to the stove are both about 350mm above a concrete floor so no possibility of a vertical loop. My first attempt to solve this problem was to make a loop in the inlet to the tank (see attachment). It didn't prevent reverse thermosyphon. Do you think it might work if I extended the loop much lower. In theory the hot water in the tank should not be able to flow downwards, but it does manage to flow down about a foot when flow reverses.

Sorry Chris, I'm new to this.. I thought I attached a photo, but I don't see it.
I click on "upload a file" select "camera" , take a shot and click "OK". Where am I going wrong?

20170422_103501.jpg

That safety blow off needs connecting up as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermosyphon loop with a boiler stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock