Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic radiator valve(pin stuck) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex23Lario

IMAG0193.jpgIMAG0194.jpgIMAG0195.jpg
Hi all,
I have an issue with one radiator. While others working fine, this one remained completely cold. I unscrewed Thermostatic radiator valve and found the pin stuck down(unlike you see on the pictures). Following popular internet advice I pulled it out with pincers which did the job somewhat. The radiator got warm(but not hot as others). Should I pull it out further? Will it increase the temperature? Is there a risk of breaking the pin and spilling the water out? At this moment the pin is pretty much stuck in upright position. I've tried to hammer the pin (and the pipe) lightly, without putting too much force, with no result.

The pin is on a spring , you should be able to push it with the shaft of a hammer or if you are well hard your thumb .
It sounds seized up just work it in and out , push in with shaft, pull back out with grips , it may free off after a few atempts , if not its a new one

The pin is on a spring , you should be able to push it with the shaft of a hammer or if you are well hard your thumb .
It sounds seized up just work it in and out , push in with shaft, pull back out with grips , it may free off after a few atempts , if not its a new one

The pin doesn't move down at all. I think, I might have pulled it too far out already. I guess, I will have to let a professional to have a look at it.
Is there any temporal solution to this problem though? My bedroom( where the radiator at) is freezing cold right now. Brr....Can I pull the pin further out to increase the temperature of the radiator or it's not advisable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat the snot out of it.

Wiggle the pin and give it a few hard taps with something heavy.

Just dont pull the pin out.

Beat the snot out of it.

Wiggle the pin and give it a few hard taps with something heavy.

Just dont pull the pin out.

IMAG0196.jpg
I generously applied multiple blows with a hammer, using 4/5 of my power. Wiggled it around, up and down. The pin came out once with some water(no more than a teaspoon) before I plugged it back. The radiator is hot now. I couldn't force the pin down more than 1 millimetre and after that it springs back(previously I didn't feel any spring resistance, the ping was stuck). My questions are:
What to do now? Can I leave the pin as it is, exposed? Is the any leak danger? Should I go at it in Thor-mode, forcing the pin down with full power(might bend the pin)? Or I have to call a professional ASAP before the house exploded? I wouldn't mind leaving it as it is for now unless it is generally unsafe.
Thanks for your advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Screw the valve head back on, set to it's maximum
That'll hold the pin in.

The beating snot out of valve is only a temp fix.

Dont put head back on or you could find it jammed shut again.

The valve ultimately needs replacing.

The beating snot out of valve is only a temp fix.

Dont put head back on or you could find it jammed shut again.

The valve ultimately needs replacing.

Can it go for a couple of days/weeks/months without replacing the valve( by a professional)? If so shall I leave as it is or hammer the pin down?

I've had custs who have left them like that for a couple of years.

Pontus Jansson's magic
He wears a magic hat.
If some one throws a brick at him
He'll head it flippin back.
He heads it to the left
He heads it to the right
And if we win promotion
We'll sing this song all night

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Pontus Jansson's magic
He wears a magic hat.
He heads it to the left
He heads it to the right
And if we win promotion

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Pontus Jansson's magic
He wears a magic hat.
He heads it to the left
He heads it to the right
And if we win promotion

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Pontus Jansson's magic
He wears a magic hat.
He heads it to the left
He heads it to the right
And if we win promotion

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Pontus Jansson's magic
He wears a magic hat.
He heads it to the left
He heads it to the right
And if we win promotion

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Turn the thermostatic head anticlockwise, ie set it to maximum, before trying to fix head back on valve. The head is held on with a loose, freely rotating ring. Rotate this ring and not the thermostatic head to fix head back on valve. Push head down on valve to allow ring to engage threads.

Very common valves, you can see in the very first picture that the pin has come away from the jumper and is now sticking out too far. Had one in my house that looked exactly the same after I 'persuaded' it a little too much.
If you don't put the TRV head back on the pin could pop out which will cause a leak, keeping the pin in by putting the head back on is not ideal, you really need the valve changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostatic radiator valve(pin stuck) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock