Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic Radiator valve hissing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I have just had complete central heating system fitted with a baxi duotec 33, 6 radiators each with a Bulldog thermostatic radiator valve fitted.

The radiator in my bedroom makes a hissing sound if I turn the valve up above 3 and it's stopping me from sleeping. :angry_smile:
Note that I have bled the radiator so that all air is expelled and all other radiators are quiet.

Can anyone advise on how to stop this noise - it's doing my nutt in.

Cheers,

Shanz

Try opening the lockshield a bit more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the other side of the rad. TRV one end lockshield the other.

You may need to take the cap off top turn the valve open.

Please leave feed back if it works

Hi All,

The radiator in my bedroom makes a hissing sound if I turn the valve up above 3 and it's stopping me from sleeping. :angry_smile:

Reminds me of the one about aguy who went to the doctors and said " it hurts if I touch here" And the doc says "don't touch there then!"

No, really though, call back the guys. If they've just done a big job for you then they may just replace it anew. Let's hope they don't have another hissy-fit.

turn your heating off its summer!! ;)

im with simon, open the lockshield valve slightly (make the noise happen,remove white cap, turn with pliers anti clockwise, does noise stop?). If that does not help then call the engineers back to check the trv.

Only 6 rads .... Hissing ....... If the above doesn't work your system could benefit from having an automatic bi-pass fitted. reduce the flow through the system as the rads shut down can stop the hissing. IMHO

Normally I would say water velocity, and then I thought about it only when turned up from no. 3, then I thought it's summer (supposedly) it's maybe only opening at 3, then I thought velocity again. Get em back and fit a auto bypass as diamondgas has said. Not too familiar with gas boilers but if its owt like the oil than yhe mi's will probably ask for one, if there isn't one built in.

auto bypass valve is a standard fit, if there is not one fitted i would ask your engineer why?

SimonJohns - Thankyou very much for your advice - it worked.
I opened the lock shield completely and no hiss.

The strange thing is it seems like the lock shield was about 98% shut in the first place!!!
When I asked my installer (who apparently has good reputation) about the hiss a few weeks back he told me he took a look at it and couldn't work out why it was happening - he thought it might be a faulty TRV. Surely he should have known to look at the lock shield first.

Anyway thank you to you and to everyone else who helped out on this. I can now sleep.

You didn't need to open it all the way lol. If you fond some rads stop workin, shut the valve down slightly. It will help improve flow around your system

He had either shut it down to balance the heating system when commissioning or he did not even check it? (which would worry me)

When I asked my installer (who apparently has good reputation) about the hiss a few weeks back he told me he took a look at it and couldn't work out why it was happening - he thought it might be a faulty TRV.

what i find most alarming about this is not the fact that he was ignorant of opening the lockshield, but rather that he was aware of the issue, assumed a faulty valve, and just left it in situ, got paid and buggered off without mentioning it!!

KJ

If it's built in you don't need one

Totally disagree. Yes the is less of a need for one to protect the pump and boiler

Bit in this instance I think it may have just been a case of poor balancing. And as the other TRVs start to shut down the problem may come back due to high flow rates.

If it's built in you don't need one

most design enginners include an auto bypass valve whether or not the boiler has a built in bypass. Every council, housing bum, builder i have worked for for the last 4-5 years fit them as standard. For the small cost i would always fit one.

most design enginners include an auto bypass valve whether or not the boiler has a built in bypass. Every council, housing bum, builder i have worked for for the last 4-5 years fit them as standard. For the small cost i would always fit one.
I agree. It's good practice to fit one wither boiler contains one or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostatic Radiator valve hissing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock