Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Thermostatic cartridge in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. 87hoax

87hoax New Member

Hi,

Been having some issues with a brand new thermostatic shower on a combi system. Before i fit the bar mixing valve, flow out of the open outlets comes out around 12 litres a minute, but once the bar valve is fitted i seem to have less than 2 litres a minute out of the head (no shower head fitted), so little flow that the boiler does not even recognise the flow of hot water.

Been in touch with the shower seller who then have spoke to the manufacturer and they believe the only thing it would be is the cartridge and that if the one there sending out doesnt work it must be the installation.

Has anyone ever had a thermostatic cartridge literally fly across the room when removing one? :eek: could this be the problem? air lock maybe? there was certainly some pressure behind it.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Ant

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

So you took it out live?? Is it a new install or not ie pipework included

3. 87hoax

87hoax New Member

Hi,

Just to clarify i did not remove whilst live :). Bar valve was removed and being stripped down on the bench at the time. Removed the grub screw and bang! caught me completely off guard. The bar valve also looked like a smoking barrell after the cartridge had ejected itself.

The shower is a new install. All pipework correct.

4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Jammed double check valve.

5. 87hoax

87hoax New Member

Ok, just on that then, would that mean that both the check valves on the bar inlets need replacing? and the catridge may be ok after all?

6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

If it's brand new then I would doubt it, unless damaged whilst installing.

7. Riley

Shouldn’t be a built up pressure in it. I’d push it back to manufacturers

8. 87hoax

87hoax New Member

ok, when i look at the inlets of the bar valve i see metal mesh filters is this also part of the actual check valve or are these usually a seperate piece. I want to remove the inlets to check the valves but i cant find an allen key big enough in my collection. :mad:

Really appreciate the fast responses, this issue has been racking my brains!

9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sounds like something from Victoria plumbing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 87hoax

87hoax New Member

Well just an update. Check valves checked with a home made contraption and appear to be both opening and shutting ok with good flow. Will await delivery of the new cartridge. Shower was bought from victorian plumbing.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Riley

Ah VP there is your problem it’ll be tat. I’d send it back and buy a branded one that you’ll still be able to get parts for in 2 years time

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Unfortunately for you, VP do not have a reputation for supplying good quality kit.

If you intend to stay in the property for more than two years I would agree that you would be better off to buy a make associated with alevel of quality rather than cheapness. Then you'll be able to guarantee spares and support when you need them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Mira.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 87hoax

87hoax New Member

Thanks for all the info chaps. Will see if the new cartridge is any good,if not i will spend a bit more.

• Like Like x 1