Search the forum,

Discuss Thermodynamic box - cold water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Moved in to our house last year with thermodynamic pump on the hot water tank. It pretty much takes water from the top outlet of the hot water tank heats it up in the box and returns to the bottom of the tank. It worked fine but just had our boiler replaced and changed hot water tank to unvented. The box only cuts in after temp has dropped, it works correctly but my problem is when it’s running it ‘steals’ my domestic water which makes it cold at the taps/shower. Any advice or ideas that I could do to stop this happening. There are valves on the box and I’ve tried throttling them in but makes no difference.
Thanks
Mark

any pics of said box?

It’s underneath hot water cylinder

A979AFC9-03A4-4B11-9E15-AC3492167DB2.jpeg

i would say your missing a check valve on the cold to the pump

im guessing you have a panel on the outside

also im guessing its teed in to hot outlet instead of the secondary port

Correct, the panel is on the side of the house as it’s a refrigerant gas it’s the ambient air that heats it.
I’m sure there’s a non return valve inside the box. It’s doing the right job in that it’s circulating the water in the cylinder and heating it up, it’s just when I run a tap and as the box pump cuts in the hot water chooses to flow back through the box rather than to my taps. I’ve just been turning it off while showering and then back on after for now.

99489DB0-019A-4264-99D7-7E9F61E08408.png

i would say needs to go into the secondary return port / connection

also i would say the stat wire is in the wrong pocket

So, was working fine then new hot water tank and boiler fitted now steals the hot water, surely it is not plumbed in correctly then.

Does the pipework at the top of the cylinder match the drawing, it`s not shown in the photo.

Well not saying it is wrong however due to lack of headroom it is different. Perhaps someone else has a view on the way the pipes are done.

Reply to Thermodynamic box - cold water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock