Search the forum,

Discuss Thermo camera in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sav

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good Thermo camera around £600ish? Want to use one when power flushing to see before and after and poss leak detection under floors

for accurate leak detection under floors next to hot pipes youll need a military grade one, not 600 quid.

Fluke every time if you have a new I phone you can get a ad on with an app unsure of cost but buy the best you can afford but will have to go to around £1500.00

Ive been lookin at the new testo one but its crazy crazy price which i cant justify to have just sit in the van but they do a less expensive one , or go for FLir or dewalt or fluke

i was looking at flir e60 but too expensive, would have to advertise this as special service and charge more to get money back. good tool to have but probably not worth investing if you dont use it much.

You've got to look at the resolution and sensitivity, the flir E6 is probably the cheapest I'd go, any lower res and its a job to see what's going on.

I have the dewalt.
Never used it for the job you have suggested but works well on yhe jobs i have.
True some have amazing resolution buy it comes down yo what you need.
I have nevernfound it to be an issue in the time ive had it and the display has never made me think - I need more rez !
From a sensitivity point of view it has proven to be good enough for me
And it shares batteries with other dewLt 10.8v tools of which I have a mini dewalt impact driver.

It can take photos too on a memory card

Horses for courses

I have the dewalt.
Never used it for the job you have suggested but works well on yhe jobs i have.
True some have amazing resolution buy it comes down yo what you need.
I have nevernfound it to be an issue in the time ive had it and the display has never made me think - I need more rez !
From a sensitivity point of view it has proven to be good enough for me
And it shares batteries with other dewLt 10.8v tools of which I have a mini dewalt impact driver.

It can take photos too on a memory card

Horses for courses

Glad you said that as I just bought one lol

I did this

google
flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-enhancements

a £1000 camera becomes a £5000 camera. Theres a link in there where you can buy the camera from a UK supplier with many extras.

Check before purchase that you can still adapt the new firmware as when I bought mine I bought it from Germany as they had just apparently locked the new firmware down. Turned out to be rubbish as Business sense said not to Flir methinks. They must have sold a lot of these off the back of the adaptations.

Great info on thermographic analysis on that thread and from FLIR website.

which I thought was the dogs. On the first house I analysed it showed where the pipes ran under the floor everywhere. On the next where it would have been really useful I found that it didn't show much of the pipe runs, even on the boxing in where they obviously run. I was going to use it to show people that they needed a powerflush as their radiators had a large temperature differential in different areas but I'm not so convinced now.

Copper also has a very different emmisivity depending on how shiny it is which affects readings massively. Solution is to stick white electrical tape on the pipe and read that or use differential clamps on the fga

Great fun when you first get it tho. Kids, animals, thermal performance of the house, damp, The thread Google

flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown

is a mine of information on everything to do with these cameras. Pretty amazing technology.

Cheers Jon

The dewalt overlay seems to be self scaling.
I find it excellent for rads.
Even on a stone cold rad after self scaling it will show temp differential from top to bottom even though its very small.
On a partial blocked rad its night and day

The dewalt overlay seems to be self scaling.
I find it excellent for rads.
Even on a stone cold rad after self scaling it will show temp differential from top to bottom even though its very small.
On a partial blocked rad its night and day

Nice I'm going to use it for a before and after after I've flushed a heating system so I can see if it's cleaned out or if anythings left in it

Last edited by a moderator:
FLIR One. Not available in Europe yet and you need an iphone to work with it but as soon as it comes out I'm getting one. Only a couple hundred quid an all.

We use thermal cameras pretty much every day, they are pretty good on concrete floors but you cannot rely on them to find every leak as some people seem to think they can.

We have just started using them with our new Power Flush and it's over kill but does do the job. We ended up buying some second hand Flukes as they were older but better than a new Dewalt, if I was buying a simple camera now that was not good enough for leak detection but great for power flushing, I'd buy the Flir that clips onto an iPhone it's only a couple of hundred pounds and would do the job and be a small bit of kit to carry around.

Horses for courses.
I wouldnt be looking for missing people in piles of rubble with a dewalt.
But its spot on for how for how I use and batteries shared with other 10.8v tools

Horses for courses.
I wouldnt be looking for missing people in piles of rubble with a dewalt.
But its spot on for how for how I use and batteries shared with other 10.8v tools

Absolutely, Dewalt is way better than a laser IR thermometer and the FliR iPhone would work just as well.

Makes you unbeatable ate Hind'n'seek too!

Would the flir one be sufficient enough for powerflushing radiators?!

Yeh, what model you thinking of ?

Flir one attachment for iPhone 5s. Upgrading to iphone 6 so keeping 5s specifically for powerflushing with thermal camera. I know there'd be a big difference between it and the likes of the i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermo camera in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock