Search the forum,

Discuss The New VIY Thread class of Jan 09 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suburbanplumber

Now Then. The other VIY thread was a big help to me in deciding to do my training with VIY so I thought I’d do a new thread, as there have been a few changes to the course content and the teaching staff. I have no connection to VIY, other than being a customer.

Beforehand:
Online:
VIY’s website isn’t all that, in fact its pants.

Over the phone:
George who owns VIY is very charming and made me feel at ease about giving him seven grand. He can sort out a finance package with nothing to pay for the first year, but it aint cheap. I’ll be posting more information on the differences between what different students thought they were getting as this thread continues.

In the flesh: George is exactly as southerners imagine a jovial Yorkshire man to be. A very likeable chap, and a great salesman.

Week One
The class of Jan 09 from the south coast to the north east, age ranges from 19 to early 60’s, the most common reasons for attending are ‘just become a dad’ and ‘just been made redundant’. Experience varies from already working as a plumber to not even done much DIY.

The start to the week is shambolic, team VIY are not very organised. Joe Awkward tutored the first week (ok not his name but it should be, and he pronounces it that way). Joe took a whole week to teach two introductory chapters from the manual, really it was one days training at most, and what seemed like ten days of his interminable stories.
Joe has a very high option of his teaching ability, not one I share. When, after the first exam Joe was asked for feedback, it was health and safety, i.e workplace safety while handling hazardous materials, so it’s important to know what you don’t know, Joe told us that as a previous group had wanted to argue with him about the interpretation of the questions he would not give us any feedback and it wasn’t his job to do so.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Joe may have gotten away with his patronise-the-ladies & sneer-at-the-lads attitude when working in the public sector, but it’s not good enough for a commercial training organisation. We spent the weekend talking about how to broach the subject of his unprofessional attitude and poor delivery skills with George but on Monday morning Joe had left, and the learning began. Big time.

Week Two
Int t’Shop
Joe’s sudden departure seemed to have caught his colleagues on the hop and we were moved to the workshop where we spent the first two days of getting used to the materials and tools. Think of the sound of dropped spanners and the smell of solder and singed fingers! The workshop teachers are Mark, Simon, Steve and Brian. They spend a lot of time teasing each other, which soon put everyone at ease. Whenever there are asked a how to question they you always get 1,2,3, or even 4 different ways of solving the problem with them adding that there is no ‘right’ way to plumb a job. What they teach is the underlying principles, encouraging students to take a creative approach to problem solving. As we were to find out they are extremely knowledgeable and go out of their way to make sure no student is left behind. The house teaching style is to show you once, answer any questions, encourage you to get on with it, and then reappear as if by magic, standing at your shoulder, if you get stuck. Thumbs up.

On Wednesday we started to on our first assessment pieces, half the class fitting a bathroom and the other half doing a pair of cold and hot water tanks. Most of us finished the assignment Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

Week Three
Mark took over the classroom training apologising for any lack a familiarity with the material, and claiming not to be as good a teacher as Joe. Disarmingly charming, hilariously blunt, and massively knowledgeable Mark certainly under promised and over delivered. He has really natural training style, always saying how little he cares, always demonstrating how much he cares. Thumbs up.

More soon
Suburban Plumber

I am also on the same course as suburban plumber, i totally agree with everything that has been said so far. I wouldn't be as polite though about Joe. He was a complete arse!

One of the funniest things that i have ever seen was today in the workshops when Mark designed and retro fitted wing mirrors to his glasses so that Simon could not creep up behind him. HILARIOUS!

There was a minor mishap when we had to have some photo's retaken due to apparently the developers losing some photo's. I really think its operator error, I'm sure i heard Brian and Steve discussing where to put the film. It is of course a digital camera!

I wonder why though, whenever anyone checks the VIY website the course changes! I spoke to Gorgeous.(everyone's nick name for George) on 3 separate occasions and it changed everytime I spoke to him!

Having said that I have no regrets yet! especially now Joe Arsewood has gone! everyone mentioned that this was probably the best decision Gorgeous had made in years.

I have been outed by one of the tutors - in the nicest possible way!

If you too are on the course or are a past student please add to this thread. I look forward to hearing your views.
SP

In the interests of absolute fairness i feel I should record that there is an error in my first post, Joe actually left at the end of week two I.E the end of the 1st week we did in the workshop. He was upstairs taking another class during week two.

keep 'em coming
SP

The course I did at viy is now a grand cheaper???

I've just looked on the ever changing VIY website and the smallish print says that its £50 per exam and the tool kit is no longer 'yours to keep' but a £50 optional extra Hmmmmmm.
Suburban Plumber

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to spend about a grand on tools when you leave anyway, the free ones were a bit "diy" you can get very good stuff at toolstation ! Hmmmmm wonder if I have to pay for my part p now or will they give it to me for free??? Pretty please?

Ah part P. Hmmm

What exactly does part P enable you to do?

George told me I would be able to certify landlords houses

Joe said certify, and PAT test once you've spent £400 to join a certifying body. What was suspicious was the way Joe tried to bury this question by 'going into one' about CORGI

NOW I'm hearing that you need to join a certifying body and PAY to sit the 17th edition. which is apparently much harder than Part P, and another exam for being able to PAT test.

Seeking clarification???????????
suburban plumber

Part p is very hard and will go over your head if you dont already know a lot about electricity! Take your time you will not need it that much in the beginning anyway. Part p enables you to take a cable from the consumer box yourself for example replacing an 8 kw shower with a 9 kw . or adding an extractor fan to a bathroom. Like jo will probably tell you , you will have enough to deal with just doing your 6129 in ten weeks . Plus dont forget the added advantage of sub contracting spark works out in the beginning to build up contacts. That is what I am doing at the moment and for domestic plumbing you will only need to get a spark out for showers and extractor fans etc that will prob set you or the customer back about 60 quid ! Let everyone know how good the part p course is though mate , cheers john

Today, the group has been divided into 2 parts. One half doing low carbon steel and the other half doing bending copper pipes with a bit of soldering. The report so far, please gorgeous get some more threading kit for the LCS. There's a queue a mile long waiting for the kit and its blunt at best. Someone said they could do better using their teeth.

Kudos, for Simon all reports are good. He meanders around the workshop giving priceless gems of information in a very quiet and positive manner.

On a different note I have enjoyed reading John Mcginty's posts very positive Thanks

Just struggled through the low carbon steel part of the course. Massive thanks to steve and simon for their tireless support and patience.
Suburban Plumber

Now then
MAJOR NEW POST ON MONDAY WATCH THIS SPACE

Your pal
Suburban Plumber

Today, we all completed energy efficiency. Unfortunately the tone of the day was set by George moaning at the group regarding the posts that have been made on this forum!

I have re-read all the posts and have found that they are well balanced and there are far more positives than negatives! So I didn't really get the point of the talk. However, a response is necessary. Your quite correct George you can't stop people posting nor should you try. Your talk to the group annoyed a large part of us and caused a lot of people wanting to post on this forum.

If the only criticism your company gets is positive then that is not believable.

The whole group has paid approx £7k each. We are all aware that there are overheads etc, therefore we do not to be told about this. We are all adults and have paid a considerable amount of money to be on the course and are disgruntled that you felt the need to address us like children.

NOW THEN THE POSITIVES. I for one am impressed that there is always copper tube, plastic pipe etc. available and fittings and as a group, we are aware about the cost and I watch with amusement as the group rummage through the scrap to find a piece that can be re-used.

Mark, today with his more than able assistant Simon did beautifully at presenting energy efficiency. The subject is not the most interesting we've been taught but as always the humour provided by the two, sometimes at Simon's expense, was excellent. Mark and Simon always do their best with the group and are willing to answer the same question more than once and invariably try and find another way to explain the answer.

Keep up the superb work.

Hey guys and girls,

Being a bit younger than most and maybe not as wise i was not quite sure of what to make from George’s talk.

At the end of the day all i can put is some thoughts on the course from my point of view,

Classroom

First of all mark is a very capable teacher and everything is put across clearly and he only goes as fast as the slowest person. i don’t think i could of passed or learnt what i have without the help he gave me along with Simon! The classroom weeks are pretty dull and boring but that’s just the way city and guilds have done the course/books and nothing can be done about it. So to me the weeks in the classroom can’t be improved in any way from VIY's position.

City and guilds could maybe send some better illustrated exams and maybe paying £7000 for a course makes you think they should, but don’t forget these exams are meant for colleges teaching 16 years olds over a space of two years if you get what i mean!

Workshops

This is where i have a few niggles, overall the workshops are good so far. Everything is there which you need, like someone said above it does seem funny when we are all scraping through the odd ends bins for bits of pipe when there’s 10 packs of new stuff on the shelf for us!

All the teachers are very good at their jobs and although maybe spread a bit thinly on occassions have all the time they can give to you when needed/asked. City and guilds give an allotted time for each task and as everyone knows this is always more than needed, if the workshops weren’t working right then we wouldn’t be getting it done!

My only niggle is the equipment. A few tools need renewing as they are well gone past there use by date! It hasn’t ever stopped us from getting the jobs done as there have been alternatives but it would be nice to have good working steel threaders, vices which are tight to the benches and cylinders which don’t leek from there joints (over used and heavy handed students i would think!).

Part P

Now the only other thing i would mention is for people thinking of doing this course who might be reading this!

Please correct me if I’m wrong but getting the part P certificate from VIY will NOT let me self certify unless i register with a organisation like PARTP.CO.UK - The home of Part P!!! This will cost about £400 depending on which company you go with and they will want you to have the correct equipment which from briefly looking at will cost upwards of £600. You will then need to be assessed on-site by this company which is included in the price and once they are satisfied away you go (with the yearly charge of about £400).

Until the above is done i can’t fit an electric shower and self certify it for it to be turned on (i could fit it and call someone out and pay them to certify it).

I hope what i have said above is correct, if not then please say as I’m not a know it all!
Overall

At this moment in time I’m pleased i have gone on the course, i think in 3 weeks time when finished i will have the confidence to go out there and start working (i have already done a few small jobs). I can’t see this going 'wrong' so thumbs up from me!

Just keep that bloody hot chocolate machine topped up and we will all be fine!

Hi all :) cant wait for Major post on monday!! I tend to agree with all of you on the course so far (those that have posted). Mark, Simon & Steve if your reading this -top class tuition can't fault any of you, shame about the materials and tools sometimes, yes I know they are open to student "abuse". Well Georgeous ! didn't do yourself any favours this morning did you ?? fancy coming into class and giving us a (veiled threat) ! as you said it wasn't !! you can't tell a group that if they write on here (plumbers forum) anything that "George" may not like that there may be reprucussions for them later on when it comes to "onsite assessment's" by their assessors !! not a threat ?? what was it then?? friendly advice?? Never mind George you may have lost a bit of bussiness over previous comments on this forum but think of the money you saved by buying softer steel tube instead of the medium you charged us for !!!!
:eek:

As someone who has closely followed the various threads on VIY throughout this website, I feel it is time that I stood up and contributed to comments made both on this site and at VIY.

I am not happy with the manner in which George conducted himself this morning. He addressed the class like the proverbial village idiots despite his utter ignorance and arrogance, which was wholly unprofessional of him.

By stating that our external assessments could be adversely affected by comments made on this site and then by adding “This isn’t a veiled threat” he in fact confirmed, exactly what his previous statement was meant to be. This has induced anger and resentment from those who would otherwise be his allies. If we have been trained correctly, which I believe we have so far, then it should have no repercussions on us students rather him and his business if this weren’t the case! No matter which way you want to dress up what was said – it was a threat.

There is no real arena for feedback directly and anonymously to VIY as a company, therefore it is easier to comment on this site and say it how it really is. George has not asked us for ways of improving the course, it’s content, the company or even whether we wanted a coffee machine or not. We didn’t by the way. The money would have been better spent on fitting central heating in the classroom. You’d have thought it was hard to get a plumber these days.

Whether we are paying £100 or a £6000 we deserve a level of service, standards, materials and equipment that meet our expectations appropriate to the amount we have spent. Otherwise we deserve an explanation an apology or even a refund! We are getting a very good level of teaching despite some failings in equipment and materials and I don’t have to repeat all the positives that the Suburban Plumber or the Secret squirrel have touched upon – Although I would like to point out that the remark about Mark taking over from the chaos of the hugely self righteous Joe “The Tangent” “Awkward” was very appropriate.

Since finding out about VIY, enrolling and now taking the course, the website has changed frequently. The information on the site or even on the brochures do not contain any inaccuracies rather a lack of information pertaining to the further cost of affiliations, associations( re Part P certifying installations), external assessments and exams. The truth was out only when it was too late and we were in the thick of the first week. At least one of two students who left that week did so on the basis of the information pertained from further questions and explanation.
Would I have still gone ahead with the course? I would have had to think a little harder. Particularly since I’m currently scraping by financially and wondering how the hell I’m going to make a living from scratch after this course. (No start-up pack of materials included when we leave) Not that it is a part of VIY’s mandate to deal with my money matters.

This forum has been set up to allow people to see the true colours of any plumbing course in the UK and hopefully people will read this and go into training even with VIY with their eyes wide open. There is no reason why issues can’t be addressed by George or even his staff. If he continues to alienate himself from his customers either by not reading this (properly and thoroughly) or any of the other posts and responding or by sitting in his office and pretending that we’re all OK, then the future for VIY will be pretty bleak.

I would also like to point out that George has not yet taken any of the classes with this group.

I hope I've said what we're all feeling right now

Leaky

Everyone sems to be confused about the "Part P" am i right in thinking you cant even attemp to do the electric work without it, let olone think about producing a certificate for it, likewise do you need part p as a minimum to progress any further in the electric qualifications?.
Must agree with most comments on tutors @ viy, they are very good at helping us understand the various methods and priciples of course content.

Hi all. Just wanted to put my thoughts of the course at VIY. I think it is a great course. Really enjoying it. I first started looking at courses beginnning of December and found one based in Chessington, London. The attitude i got with them was rubbish. I had to go down for an "interview" to see if i "qualify". What a load of rubbish. Its not if i qualify, its if i want to give them the best part of 5k. When i found VIY, i spoke to Barbara and George and foun them very nice people, down to earth. So i decided to go with them. As from that moment i have had ne regrets. The teachers are great. Mark is a brilliant teacher and i love having the banter with him. The accomodation is a good idea because a hotel room down in chessington for 10 weeks was going to cost me near 4k. The tool box is pretty basic but i wasnt expecting a diamond core bit or an SDS drill. I agree with the others regarding some of the cutting tools for the LCS. They do need to be replaced. Apart from that, its all good. I dont really worry about the negative because at the end of the day, its what you make of it and as long as we have the qualifications and abit of expericence, the rest will come with time and determination. I also agree with the Part P thing but if you are going to be dealing with stuff that can kill i.e Gas, Electric etc, you need to be registered with someone and assessed. More posts to come

At the last count this thread has been viewed 573 times, 74 of them this evening alone!

I’d like to thank all the other students in the class of Jan 09 for the kind words of support, and the people who have posted for their input. If you’re yet to post, your opinions matter and we have fought wars to defend our sacred right to air our opinions without fear of reprisal. We look forward to hearing what you’ve got to say.

I HAVE REQUESTED, IN THE PRESENCE OF WITNESS, THAT GEORGE COME INTO THE CLASSROOM ON MONDAY TO APOLOGISE FOR SATURDAYS BULLYING OUTBURST.

I was extremely upset at being bullied and threatened on Saturday morning (just before an exam) but I don’t believe anything is served by posting in anger so I thought I’d take the rest of the weekend to go for a walk and calm down.

I had started Saturday as a happy customer. However George’s words rang in my ears and caused me to review; promises made at the time of purchase, inconsistencies in the bullying tirade I was subjected to, and the less than perfect nature of VIYs business practices. My opinions are just that, opinions. But the response that airing them has drawn from George has led me to look at some facts that should also be in the public domain so that potential customers, current customers, and all other interested parties can get an understanding of the kind of service you can expect.

At the time of George’s outburst I was the only person on the course whose user name on this forum is common knowledge amongst the class AND staff. I wrote a review of MY experiences in the early weeks of the course. A review in which I praised George and his team. I believe that Joe was not able to provide the standard of instruction I would expect, but I have also stated my unequivocal approval for Mark, Simon, Steve and Brian. I even said I liked George. That’s changed.

On Saturday morning George came into the classroom, launched into a bullying tirade against me, and issued a series of veiled threats to the class, the basis of which was the content of my original post.

George this IS bullying. If you had a problem with me saying what I think it would have been far more courteous (and indeed professional) to speak with me in private. You choose to threaten me in front of my classmates. I have requested you apologise to me in the same situation you attacked me in. You have yet to do so.

George claimed that:
1. One of his competitors had ‘tipped him off’ that his course was being reviewed in a less than positive light on this forum.

Suburban Plumber responds -So you knew of the forums existence but weren’t reading it? That would also suggest you weren’t using the forum as a sales tool yourself. Bit remiss wasn’t it? It’s your name above the door after all.
I and the subsequent posters on this thread all view my comments as positive in nature so I’m shocked to hear these totally unfounded claims.

2. His competitors are using the post that started this thread as a sales tool.

Suburban Plumber responds -As if I believe that! I myself had told George (conversation of last week of Nov 08) I was calling VIY as the other thread had had a few positive comments about HIM in it despite a fair amount of whingeing. The other companies whose reviews I read on the forum did not receive nearly such positive feedback.

3. George claims he had to justify himself to prospective customers who had called and asked him if he was the ‘sweet talker’.

Suburban Plumber responds – Once again I find this hard to believe, but George will of course be able to provide evidence of this conversation. My professional opinion (former sales director and sales trainer) is that this is ‘sales 101’ (i.e the newbie’s class), if he were really unable to overcome such a concern he would never have been able to raise the capital to start VIY.

4. He threatened that if we posted negative comments about VIY, external assessors would read them and it would make life more difficult for us at our assessments.

Suburban Plumber responds – How dare you threaten us, and expect to do so with impunity?

This threat also raises an interesting question; in our phone conversations George told me HIS assessors would be travelling to review my work.
So which is it?
A claim that external assessors have a negative view of VIY, in which case their must be a question mark over his business and training practices? My original post only mentions a one thing I wasn’t happy with, and lavishes praise on the teaching staff. The other thread has been live since 04-04-08.
Or
He himself misled me as to the process by which assessment takes place to influence my decision to book a place on the course?

5. He also claimed this wasn’t a veiled threat.
Suburban Plumber responds – So it must be a direct threat then ‘gorgeous’?

Now then there are a few other things that are worthy of exposure to the ‘sunlight’ of further scrutiny.

Part P
George told me that included in the course was my Part P certification which would allow me to wire new installations within houses, AND certify the work of other trades people. NOTHING was said about joining trade body’s, further assessment, or further fees. I don’t seem to be alone in this understanding. I have also been told by Joe that Part P would enable me to issue PAT tests on tools and installations, I now have no idea if or if not this is the case. Joe added to this confusion and resisted attempts to get a straight answer. Every student I have spoken to seems equally confused as to just what we’ve been sold. What’s your definition of mis-selling?

While we’re on the subject of alleged mis-selling………

1. I was told, by George, that I would be able to have my two days of assessment done the in the week following the course. Now I am being told that this is not the case.

2. The website lists the course as being 400 hours of tuition 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

From the VIY site –
IT HAS TO BE AT LEAST 10 WEEKS - City & Guilds state that the course should consist of 400 hours of teaching. This is equal to 40 hours per week x 10 weeks. _(If you choose a City & Guilds course lasting less than 10 weeks you are probably not getting the certificates you require for a career in plumbing.)

However that is not what is being delivered. Class has never started before 9.30 and rarely makes it beyond 4.30.

Lets take a look at the maths
2 hours less than advertised every day = 10 hours per week.
10 hours per week X 10 weeks = 100 hours ie 25% of the course!!!!

3. The course materials were 4 WEEKS late. Unbelievable I know!!

4. As pointed out by wot-no-joe the steel we paid for was not present. If the steel supply company had indeed sent the wrong stuff surely it is VIY’s responsibility to send it back rather than pass on defective materials to its customers?

5. Tools are frequently of dubious quality, welding torches that have bent spindles making them difficult to adjust.
Today I saw the confidence of a student sapped by his inability to set the flame to the right setting, never having used the equipment before he naturally assumed it was something he was doing wrong, as soon as he moved to a bay with a torch fit for purpose his was able to take advantage of the excellent tuition Mark and Simon give in lead burning.
The Low Carbon Steel has provoked several comments on this thread it wern’t easy. But it wasn’t made any easier my VIY issuing worn out Pipe-threaders that strip the threads as soon as they cut them.
Need I go on?

6. George came in and told us that he had sacked Joe, the rights and wrongs of his telling us this aside, if as stated at the time the company had ‘had problems with Joe before’ that surely shows prior knowledge of Joes training not being to a sufficiently professional standard?

So what’s the next step?

If as we all hope, there are credible explanations for all of the questions I have raised I look forward to hearing them. I have asked George to apologise for his outburst. An apology I am yet to receive. So at present I hold out little hope.

Over the next few days we’ll have explosive new revelations about VIY and more so much more!
Stay tuned.

Your pal
The Suburban Plumber

I will try and be objective in my approach to this course,

George you were entirely wrong with your approach on Saturday, the group felt annoyed about the approach and if there was any further proof required look at the posts. Do I feel as though an apology was due, Yes.

My heart went out to Mark when he came into the class because he was not aware of what was said and there was an icy atmosphere in the room.

I don't feel as if there is any competition out there for VIY, the qualifications that can be achieved in a relatively small period of time are more than offered by any other school that i contacted.

Yes, the books were delayed. Which was a little annoying? This seems to be poor house keeping or if you would prefer a lack of organisation.

Yes, the wrong steel was ordered and should have been sorted again poor house keeping or a lack of organisation. Mark was not impressed and apologised to the group about this and I am sure it will be put right soon.

The main problem appears to be late starts. George, if you need to speak to your instructors maybe you should do so before 9am not in our time.

The instructors are not late they are always early. Again perhaps poor house keeping.

Early finishes, I do take the point that we finish early but if your in a class at 9am and non stop until 4.30. I for one have had enough and as I look around the class they've had enough as well. So I'm a little torn between the suburban plumbers point of view and mine,

The main gripe i have is when it snowed we spent 2 days doing nothing when we could have been in the workshops. There were 2 instructors there.

Some of the tools are appalling but what do you do if they are constantly abused, yes they should be re-newed but how often?

Part P: This confuses everyone and continues to confuse everyone! We appear to all have been given the wrong impression. What can we do?

I don't feel that George has been dishonest regarding the Part P, I just feel that he has not explained it well enough.

I would like George to walk around the workshops more and say to individuals Are you ok? any problems? any questions?

Then maybe any misunderstanding could be ironed out immediately.

I think all these issues could be dealt with quickly and to everyones satisfaction.

On a happier note. George whatever you are paying Mark and Simon its not enough double it!

A very good post dude, you raise some interesting points.

For readers who are not on the course:
Thanks for writing in
And for the record
George has now been in both on Monday and Tuesday and has made no word of apology.

Suburban Plumber

George, today, came into the class and explained the part p to us all. I was happy with the explanation he gave. As explained by voice of reason there was no intent to mislead the group but just a mis-understanding.

There was an apology not only to suburban plumber but to any one in the class who felt upset by what went on last saturday.

I totally accept what George said today and personally think that it takes a lot of character and personality to stand in front of a group of people and apologise and we all felt it was a genuine apology.

Thanks George.

Well with this all resolved im going to be bored in the evenings! better start looking at water regulations instead!

I only hope that anyone reading this thread continues to read all the pages,

George, disrupted (in a good way) our lunch break today. George apologised to the group for any confusion that was created by him on Saturday.

This was a genuine apology to everyone in the group. What impressed me about his approach was that the meeting on Saturday was conducted by George alone. However, with the apology, the four members of staff were present. This could not have been easy.

Part P was explained to us all. Again, the confusion was caused by poor explanation.

George, has no real competition in this market. Today provided a couple reasons why, George is a genuine bloke, who obviously when informed that the group was upset set out to rectify the problem. This he did (in my opinion) admirably.

Secondly, the loyalty of his training team. Rarely do you see a team putting themselves in front of a group of people who may ask difficult question. You can not buy loyalty like this.

Before, I end this post and on a final note, the training team were not only loyal to George but also to the students. At least one instructor new of the identity of Suburban Plumber and tried to avoid mentioning him by name.

We all have the utmost respect for the training team, from my point of view the bar has been raised.

Very impressive work today George and Thank you.

Seeing as it was me who started this ball rolling I think it would be remiss of me not to post an update.

George did indeed come into class this week and made a full and heartfelt apology which i of course accept. I too was struck by how much it must have taken for him to make the apology he did. Admirable.

He was also able to address the confusion regarding Part p to my satisfaction.

I would like to echo voice of reasons words and praise the loyalty of the training team, who took it right to the wire with George to keep my identify private.

I'd also like to thank many of you for your words of support.

I will be posting a finally 'end user' review of the course in a couple of weeks time when we're done

Until later
Your pal
The Suburban Plumber

a grand cheaper??? even though they now do part P???? hmmmmm

This is another consequence of imperfect communication. The course is basically the same price, previously VIY included the cost of accommodation in the course fees, now you have to sort that out yourself. Personally I'm staying at the Ashmount and would warmly recommend it.

For those who want to save money:
You now have the choice of giving the tools back at the end of the course or paying £50 to keep them. I persoanlly am a complete pikey and would keep the £50 and buy better tools secondhand from the market! But I am a cheapskate:D. So the course is effectively £50 cheaper.

Suburban plumber

This weekend we did out BPEC water regulations! The folder for these regs is huge and very daunting.

The way we went through it was read the summary at the end of each chapter and then do the questions, then flick through the chapter.

This was the easiest way to get through them. We had Brian for the day course and the exam, so, the best person to ask about the exam was Brian. I was told not to worry about the exam and just go through the book.

I believed what I had been told and although I did not find the exam easy I passed. Thank you very much Brian.

The presentation was direct, to the point and as interesting as anyone can make water regs.

Everyone i spoke to about the day was happy and Brian had managed to make everyone laugh at one point or another.

On a lighter note, Brian, my tool box will always contain a potato....

Thanks again Brian.

Hi
Can you tell me the format of the water regs exam, is it multible choice answers or some other form. Im taking mine in april. Iv studied the book front to back but, I cant find anything on the exam its self.
Thanks Steve

Hello Steve,

The exam is an open book exam, in the question it gives you the page numbers the questions refer to and the module.

The time is just about adequate. The problem is you tend to doubt the answers your sure of and look everything up! This was the general feeling of a lot of people I spoke to.

The paper is divided into two parts and the pass mark is 80% for both parts, if you get 70% you get another chance to answer the questions you got wrong. Most of the questions are multiple choice but there are a few which you have to write answers to. Don't stress though it is only a few words not an essay.

A lot of us did not find the paper easy but if you now feel worried, DON'T BE, there were about 25 taking the exam and I think everyone passed.

Good Luck

We all took our Gola exam today. No one thought that it was a walk in the park and the vast majority thought that it was very difficult. The terminology used by C & G in places was confusing and the questions were un-necessarily complicated and written very poorly.

The positives are that the vast majority of the group passed.

As we walked into the exam room everyones spirits lifted as we saw Mark and Simon, the odd joke from Mark before the exam started lifted the dark cloud of impending doom slightly. It was quite good that his voice had returned just enough.....

I found it quite re-assuring to see Simon meandering through the room in his slow confident manner in a way that only Simon can.

If we had a problem with a term used on the paper or didn't understand they would assist in re-phrasing that word.

We're now steaming forward into the great abyss that is unvented hot water then next week this roller coaster ride hits Part P head on. In the words of Suburban Plumber
"Bring it on"

Finally, Mark and Simon, Thanks for today..

Our penultimate week, half the group have had to finish the lead aspect of there portfolio whilst the other half were doing maintenance. The week had rumbled forward slowly, I am getting the impression that the group is now quite tired. Although, in general no exam appears too difficult on its own, there have been a lot of exams, they are beginning to take there toll.

Steve, kicked off the maintenance and has an excellent sense of humour and the little gems of info he gives you are priceless.

The one aspect of the whole course that is bewildering is how does it all work together? This was answered by Mark. In his own style and humour he manages to explain the daunting junction box to us. We all manage to find the faults on the system Woo Hoo! In the afternoon, it was power flushing, unfortunately for Mark, I think the groups heads were still spinning a little from the morning.

Friday, we sorted out our portfolios after a 2 hour wait because one member of the group hadn't had any work signed off! obviously, being CONTINUALLY told to keep your portfolio up to date and get it signed off, quite clearly fell on deaf ears there...... Very frustrating for the whole group and the instructors.

George, came in and spoke to the group on running, starting up and advertising your company etc. Again very informative and very funny in places. I learnt a lot about the yellow pages and will be looking a lot closer at ads from now on. Thanks

Today, we did unvented hot water. I think everyone in attendance would agree that it was a little long winded but Brian did well and we had to be given the presentation. The problem is the vast majority had read the book and the presentation was a replica of the book.

BPEC could have altered the content to make it a little more varied. Just to reinforce I think Brian did an excellent job with the material he was given and little room to change the script. Two exams later and then a practical I believe the whole group passed.

A long day for all concerned though. I like to finish on a positive, George who was Mark's able assistant today was quite funny and very helpful. Maybe, the next course could see a little more of George in the workshop or teaching?

Part P next week, a little daunted by the electrical side but looking forward to it.

Hi secret squirrel
Thanks for the info on the water regs exam it was very helpful as now I know what to expect. Thanks again Steve

Well well well, one week (and Part P )to go!

First up a massive vote of thanks to Mark and Brian for their tireless support on saturday. I've found most of the exams fairly straightforward but this weekend somehow i managed to work myself into a bit of a tizzy about Unvented Hot Water Systems, But the guys confidence rubbed off on me and I passed.

On to Part P!

We're on our last day tomorrow, I only have the part P practical to complete. which with a little bit of sweat I'll pass.

So, here we are 10 weeks later: C & G 6089 NVQ level 2 plumbing Cert, C & G 6129 tech level 2 plumbing cert, Bpec level 3 unvented hot water, Bpec level 3 Water Regs, Bpec level 3 energy efficiency cert and Part p.

There has been blood, sweat and tears. Hopefully, not all at the same time but we're ready to "rock & roll".

Am I confident? Yes and No, I'm realistic and will only do small jobs until I find my feet and help is a phone call away.

Having said that, seeing some of the work I've had done on my house and witnessing the work on my friends houses I'm very confident. We've all been told take your time and don't rush.

I would at this point like to thank all the instructors on the course, who have all been superb and dealt with the relentless and sometimes stupid questions with humour and forgiveness.

I'm sure we have made the instructors earn there pay over the last few weeks as at times they have all looked worn out. I have wanted and got as much knowledge from them as I possibly could (along with suburban plumber)

Would I recommend VIY and the 10 week course. YES, looking back my only real issue is at points there is a lack of organisation, which is a bit annoying more than anything else.

Thanks again Mark, Simon, Brian and Steve. Special thanks to Mark and Simon who have completed a lot of the classroom work with us as well as the workshops

Keep up the excellent work.

At VIY What did everybody staying in the hotels do in the evenings?
At £100 for a weeks accomodation, it sounds like a bargain but do you get wi-fi and sky tv etc...
10 weeks is a long time to spend away from home.. or do a large part of the group come from far and stay in hotels?

when i went mate last summer, the b&b we stayed in had wifi, a bar, and every room had a tv. dont worry you will have plenty to do after class (usually for a couple down the pub.lol) and at the weekend(even though alot of people seemed to go home at the weekend, even those stayin in the B&Bs) I had a brillaint time, Leeds is a happening city, as long as you enjoy a drink and a night on the town, you will love both headingly and leeds centre. I also went and visited the Royal armouries while I was there, Id reccomend it, I had a really good day there. Hopeuflly this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The New VIY Thread class of Jan 09 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock