Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetheplumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
good news folks tescos are entering the heating market

wonderful. save up all your clubcard vouchers and get you heating sorted by the chap who brings your groceries.

Lovely, a valentines set meal for two followed by a right good powerflush!..

will have to start carrying groceries in the van now,, need to buy an arctic lorry lol

This is what I know;

They are going to offer a complete boiler installation package.

Initially offering only Worcester Bosch boilers. Boilers will only be sold to fitters who can earn Clubcard points if they purchase.

Installations will be carried out by local tradesmen through a managing agent.

Prices start from £1999 for a fully installed new boiler. (I don't think that's excessively low, but what will they pay the fitter?)

They will pay the fitters peanuts...and there will daft fitters out there that will work for them!!!

next asda will be jumpin on the bandwagon, its a really tough market out there

I'm not liking this news, most customers will think of Tesco as a 'trusted' name, and i'd imagine they will be offering some form of low cost finance option also.

I think it will be the low cost finance option that will probably be more of an attraction, rather than the "trusted" Tesco name.

Bg took 2 jobs from me because of the finance option, even though I could have done it for a third of the price.

Bg took 2 jobs from me because of the finance option, even though I could have done it for a third of the price.

It still would have been cheaper if they got a small loan from the bank and paid you through that.

It was only a matter of time before this happened.
Tesco, driving down prices is the slogan. If their heating contracts are anything like any other supplier they use there will be little to be made and the driving down prices bit means the supplier gets less.
I do work for a couple of local farmers who are now basically at the mercy of the big supermarkets as to what they make with little other option. They all hate having to use them but there is little other option.
This trade is moving the same way as farming. In a few more years most of the decent money making work will be done by the big players for many different reasons.

Anz.
I learned a long time ago that most people would rather sign up for a credit agreement in front of them (no matter what the interest rate) than do any leg work themselves to sort out their own loan.
£15 /week sounds better than 2 grand when you are skint.

going by the state of the tesco toilets.
and the custormer service ,i don't think we got any worries.
not shopping in tesco any more,the meat and fish is poor also.

didn't think my business partner could hate tesco's more than he does guess i was wrong

Bad news for everyone. I despair.

I did predict this exact thing in a thread months ago. Stating that eventually the small firms and one man bands will be squeezed out of the market.

Bad news for everyone. I despair.

I did predict this exact thing in a thread months ago. Stating that eventually the small firms and one man bands will be squeezed out of the market.

I think you are spot on Danny. The small guy is being squeezed from all sides. Peoples trust and perception of "tradesmen" is changing for the worst and they go with the big corporations because of scare stories and they know no better. There will always be a place for the small independent but the money jobs are gradually being taken from us.

according to worcester bosch, it will be good for installers

The only people Worcester are interested are Worcester and their bottom line is sales hence selling to BandQ which they once said they would never do because they didn't want associated with the DIY market. How times change. They will take a sale from anywhere.

Is there a way forward for proper, experienced, genuine and honest fools like us then?
I don't know.
Should we get jobs with the big boys and just vegetate???

if you can't beat them buy them out .like travis perkins scoop toolstation this week.
Or don't buy anything from bosch or bandq.

The day we will have to show our gas safe id for all gas related purchasing won't be a day to soon.

I have been in this industry for 38 years, self employed for 20 in July. I do ok and have a good turnover and customer base but profits are dropping in the past few years and i am not getting any younger but working as hard as i did 20 years ago.
I had an offer last year to run contracts and turned it down but when i think about it, if i had taken it, i could make as much as i do now with less stress and still have lots on top if i wanted to.
It might come to it because as i get older i have less tolerance of things and i want an easier life.
We'll see.

next asda will be jumpin on the bandwagon, its a really tough market out there

and they guarantee to be 10% cheaper than all the rival companies...regards turnpin
icon7.png

Are you sure it's boilers they're selling and not stuff to fix boils?
Worcester and nappy cream at the self service check out.

and if eveyone joined together and vowed never to buy a bosch ever again?.

well known business ethics here, never put all your eggs into one tesco basket!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tescos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I posted in summer as HW system banged when cooing down it is now even worse once CH is cooing down but it's common between both systems any ideas folks, desperate now. Potterton combi boiler 10 yr old inherited 4 yr ago when I bought house, no issues until earlier this yr.
Replies
Views
Anyone seen this type of fixing for a kitchen tap? Do the wings marked A just rotate? Cheers folks
Replies
Views
Hi folks. I need to replace a few rads, about 30 years old. Any advice on best quality rads appreciated. I got a quote from City Plumbing for their Halcyon rads, made by Stelrad ... the guy told me they are the same as genuine Stelrad, but cheaper. A good bet? Thanks.
Replies
Views
How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler keeps hot water at a steady temperature in the boiler whilst cold water enters into a coil which is held inside the hot water and this heats the cold...
Replies
Views
Out of curiosity folks. What are some solutions to fitting these panels when the floor is way out? Obviously if it’s all level there’s no issue but other than getting a chippy in 😳, what’s best? Cheers
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock