Search the forum,

Discuss Teeing of 10mm feed(!) currently supplying plinth heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanF

I'm doing a garage conversion and need a new radiator in the new room. The most accessible/convenient pipes I have found are 10mm feeding a space saving plinth heater.

I know that the best solution is to tee off the main feed from the boiler as running 2 rads from a 10mm supply could give poor performance. However, I would be running 1 radiator and 1 of these space saver things. Would that still be a problem? - my logic is that the water capacity/volume requirements of a space saver is a lot less than a radiator. I also rarely switch the space saver on (just a fan I assume that blows over metal fins that are heated by the hot water I guess).

So if the hot water flowed through the space saver (not switched on) then to my new radiator, would my radiator still give decent heat?

If it comes to it - I'll just disconnect the space saver but wondered if I could get away with having both on the same feed of 10mm pipe

No you can't (well I wouldn't)

Can you provide reasoning as to why not?

10mm is only designed for a single rad/source so you have two options either up the pipe to 15mm from a 15/22mm branch or take the plinth heater out

If you've got nothing to loose, try the tee in the 10mm pipe,if it's piped from a 22mm feed you may be pleasantly surprised
Best practice would be to go back to your 22mm flow and returns, but if it isn't practical and the new rad isn't that big an output you may be OK
Forget the figures but, depending on temp diff, flow rates and system design, 10mm pipe can supply around 3kw IIRC

I obviously don't know you system design but I would go for avoiding the 10mm and do anything in 15mm if possible and also make sure the pipes you join to are not also overloaded. Or go back to 22mm pipes.
But if you are going to the space heater then consider running back to space heater 10mm with 15mm to make the distance less resistance.

Have come across this many times and done it once. In every case only one rad will work. So run pipes back to the mains and it will work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Teeing of 10mm feed(!) currently supplying plinth heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock