Search the forum,

Discuss Tap flexible hose wrong size connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have very little knowledge of plumbing and I stupidly bought a Grohe mixer tap from Amazon to replace an existing bathroom tap, link is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WBIH962/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The flexi hoses it comes with are of a size that seems to be 3/8" (female fitting with a washer/o-ring), whereas the existing isolation valve is a larger size, I believe 15mm (male), so the flexi hose won't fit.

I've been trying to find some type of converter/adapter but the only things I can find are compression fittings, and there isn't a copper pipe for me to attach to, just the male screw fitting on the isolation valve. I really don't want to have to remove the valve, nor do I really want to insert a new piece of copper pipe with a series of fittings just so I can convert between two sizes .

Does anyone know of such a thing exists?

If not please can anyone recommend a different tap of similar quality that has a normal size flex adapter?

Thanks,
Anton

Unscrew the flexible tails from the tap and see what size thread it is. It will either be M10 or M12.
But a set of these whichever suits.
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/search?search=flexible+tails

Thanks Tamz, good suggestion. I tried unscrewing the tails but they just seem to rotate around in the tap without unscrewing, I don't think they are removable.

You need to get hold if the bit with the spanner flats to undo them. They are not hard to move. The flexi hose itself will just spin at the connection.

If you go into a plumbers merchant you will get the proper m10 or 12 tails to fit straight onto a 1/2" male thread

Unfortunately the nut is buried inside the tap body, according to the instructions it looks like the only way to unscrew them is to take the entire tap to pieces from the top down.

Last time I buy anything from Grohe.

Thanks Tamz, good suggestion. I tried unscrewing the tails but they just seem to rotate around in the tap without unscrewing, I don't think they are removable.

other end as tamz says might be tight but should come out and just replace them

(grip the flex as close to the top as you can and undo should come out/ start turning)

You may find that Grohe tap tails are factory fitted. I think Toolstation do a 3/8" x 15mm adaptor part number 63663 will do the trick. This will let you connect a 15mm ballofix valve to it.

I've spent about 30 mins trying to unscrew the things and they are definitely not coming out. If you see the attached image there is no visible flat to grip onto, the cylindrical part is the end of the hose and that just spins round.

File 16-07-2016, 21 29 25.jpg

I've had a look at the toolstation part, it might do the trick, but does that mean I need to use it with a compression nut & olive to fix it to the existing 15mm valve?

The ones I ordered from Amazon worked perfectly. They just screwed straight onto the male connector on the existing ball valve, no compression fittings required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap flexible hose wrong size connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock