Search the forum,

Discuss tap connector? jointing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rabu

Hi, when using a tap connector do they seal by just tightening? or do i need PTFE or jointing compound on threads? also does the rubber washer seal on its own or do i need any others? e.g: fibre. Thanks.

Flexy or hep tap connectors have the rubber washer on already and don't need anything else, copper soldered tap connectors need a fibre washer. Don't use jointing compounds on rubber washers they cause them to leak

Thanks. Would i still need PTFE on threads? also, just noticed when i turn hot water on it humms for 5-15 seconds, is this the washer in ball valve in cold tank? and if it is, is it best to replace all the ball valve? or just washer? as entire thing is probably quite old. thanks

with most ball valves you can undo them from the first nut on the inside of the tank they all fit each other, but make sure you get the remains of the old red washer out and put the new one in

Wet the fibre washer first, it will make a better seal slightly moistened.

i put the fibre washer on my little finger and wrap ptfe around in a few times then pop it off making sure that it still has a hole in the middle and pop it back on the tap connector

i put the fibre washer on my little finger and wrap ptfe around in a few times then pop it off making sure that it still has a hole in the middle and pop it back on the tap connector

i don't do this because i am a time served plumber and know it isn't necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

technically ptfe on a correctly joined compression fitting is not required, do you do that as well?

I just like to be safe rather than sorry, a fibre washer costs less than a penny to make and is made with the lowest of the low materials as such impurities are all over the place.

the time it takes to spin some ptfe round it siuts me

A Fibre washer on its on is fine its really just preference. the thing i hate the most is having fibre washers that dont fit on the EF tap connectors! frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tap connector? jointing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock