Search the forum,

Discuss tank overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rach85

Hi, I could do with some advice as I'm getting more and more confused with the advice I've had from central heating engineers from my utility company lately. I've posted this on other forum websites but thought the more advice the better. I have no central heating experience whatsoever, so I apologise if I have to use small and basic words!!
Since moving into our home last yr (approx 20yr old), we had a problem with water overflowing into our garden from the smaller of the two tanks in the attic. My fiance changed the ballvalve and washer and set it to correct height (I'm just taking his word for that, like I said I have no clue), which worked fine until a few weeks ago. We noticed that a steady drip starts to overflow again, and we are pretty sure its only when the boiler is running and our hot water is on (as its still relatively mild we havent had the heating on in ages so I dont know if it would do the same when that is on we havent tried). It seems worse when we run a lot of hot water, like filling the sink to wash up or running the bath. He had a look in the attic again and he noticed that the water level in the larger tank is dropping slightly when the water is overflowing. As we have central heating cover with out utility company we called them out. The first engineer called didnt have a look at anything in my house except a pump in the airing cupboard. He turned that down and said if that didnt work then we definitely have a "blocked cold feed" and seeing as our airing cupboard is downstairs under the stairs, its going to involve a lot of carpet and floorboards coming up and possibly making big holes in my wall upstairs....which incidently isnt covered by policy. I decided to seek advice from other people including two gas engineer friends, they said that another likely option is that there is a crack or small hole in the coil in the cylinder (which is covered in my policy). When the second engineer came for a 2nd opinion he again didnt look at my system whatsoever and said it was definitely a cold feed blockage and would "never in a million years" be a cylinder problem.
Any ideas on the likely answer? Or maybe how to test if its one or the other, without destroying my lovely bathroom wall tiles?

it could be several things ,from pump over into f@e tank (small tank) leak from cylinder into primary coil.i have had this problem several times most times pump over due to poor design and once due to leak between cylinder and coil

Probably a hole in the cylinder coil; but let's eliminate the blocked feed first.

My fiance changed the ballvalve and washer and set it to correct height
When the water is cold the level should be between one and two inches above the lower outlet (feed). When the heating is on the water level will rise, but should stop well clear of the overflow pipe.

Drain some water from the heating system (temporarily lock motorized valves in MAN) and check that the level in the tank goes down and the ball valve opens before the level reaches the lower outlet. This will prove if there is any blockage in the feed pipe. Reset motorized valves to AUTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tank overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock