Search the forum,

Discuss Taking on BTSC in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IdEgoSuperego

Afternoon All
Has anyone had, or knows of someone who has successfully released themselves from this contract?

i did a 6129 with them, on the 1st module there was a guy who was really bad in the pratical tasks, not his fault he just couldnt bend copper to save his life and took up a lot of the tutors time trying to teach him,
he was thrown off the course and they said he was given his money back

if anybody is reading this with a view to studying there i would think twice about it, they give you a price before you sign up, then when you start the course there are endless add on's you have to pay for, exams arent included in the price half of which arent even city and guilds exams, books which cost more than they do on amazon, I even had to pay for my certificate,
also their 100% job placement is an absolute con

Any training company that promises employment at the end of a course are pushing the line between reallity and fiction really. I know of many enrolling with different providers that feel they have been 'guaranteed' or 'promised' a 'job' on the sales blurb but all they got was a list of agencies to sign up with! As far as the add-ons, well they have been doing this since day one and as you say, many of the 'exams' are 'their own' internal assessments that are not nationally accredited, nor are any of the so called 'modules' that many providers advertise. Unfortunately, apart from the various trading standards, there is no-one policing or regulating this area and it seems you and many others are in the same boat. There is one piece of legislation that protects the consumer called something like 'distance selling regulations' which gives people a 'cooling off period' where you can cancel the contract within 7 days of receiving it although how it would work here is difficult to say.

im sure the course is fine, its the misleading info and pure amount they charge

people had to pay for their apprenticeships in the dark ages, we seem to be going backwards in this country not forward

people had to pay for their apprenticeships in the dark ages, we seem to be going backwards in this country not forward

?? did they??? dont remember that, the company may have had to pay some course fees but thats about it

?? did they??? dont remember that, the company may have had to pay some course fees but thats about it

I hope you don't remember it fuzzy, we're talking 14th centuary, then again if you do then how about sharing your secret of such longevity :eek:)

oh i see, yes it was sooo different then, you had to sign off you child to a tradesman for 7-9 years

oh i see, yes it was sooo different then, you had to sign off you child to a tradesman for 7-9 years

good rewards for a tradesman at the end though, stone masons and chippies did particularly well, they were loaded, not sure how the plumbers did, probably ok 'cause they used to do the stained glass

i dont think there was any internal plumbing until the victorian age, what trades where there apart from chippie and stone mason in the 14th century?

i dont think there was any internal plumbing until the victorian age, what trades where there apart from chippie and stone mason in the 14th century?

Dozens, we're talking pre-industrial revolution so everything was hand made. Of course many of the trades no longer exist such as Wheelrights and some are now niche crafts like Weavers, Cobblers and Thatchers but they had Balcksmiths, Plasterers, Scaffolders, Painters etc. All of course are now nothing like they used to be (except Thatchers), we as you know did all the lead, casting the stuff in sand beds for roofing, all the glazing was our job and if you could afford it then we could sort your water supply and if you were very rich we could sort underfloor heating for you too. The Romans and Greeks had Plumbers, we are one of the oldest crafts which makes you wonder why we're one of the least respected well, in the uk anyway, Doh! I'm ranting again, must get out of that habbit, stay positive Shorty lol

Actually Fuzzy you maybe able to help me as you seem to be the man who knows about these things. If all goes according to plan then hopefully I might be looking to take someone on next year but have no real idea what the modern qualifications are that I should be looking for. I'm assuming that City & Guilds are still the best indication, is that right? And I've not the foggiest what the NVQ is or what the different levels represent, how does training/college work now?

popel think of city and guilds as a qualification, they are not as such, think of hoover and vacuum cleaner. C&G are an awarding body, they offer the NVQ but there are other awarding bodies such as EAL.
Currently, for the past 7 years there have been 2 quals on offer each offered by EAL and C&G, that is a tech cert (done in college only) and the NVQ (college and onsite).
People may say they have a C&Gs, is it a tech cert or a NVQ? The tech cert is only a part qual, it is only the full qual when upgraded to an NVQ by doing the onsite bit as well.
id ask for a full NVQ3 whether that be a C&G or EAL or other awarding body is irrespective

popel think of city and guilds as a qualification, they are not as such, think of hoover and vacuum cleaner. C&G are an awarding body, they offer the NVQ but there are other awarding bodies such as EAL.
Currently, for the past 7 years there have been 2 quals on offer each offered by EAL and C&G, that is a tech cert (done in college only) and the NVQ (college and onsite).
People may say they have a C&Gs, is it a tech cert or a NVQ? The tech cert is only a part qual, it is only the full qual when upgraded to an NVQ by doing the onsite bit as well.
id ask for a full NVQ3 whether that be a C&G or EAL or other awarding body is irrespective

many thanks for this Fuzzy. When I trained it was only C&G+ advanced so hence my ignorance. There was no NVQ back then just your job and day or block release. I'd have to take someone with experience to begin with but hopefully one day be able to train someone up, I think it's a very noble thing to teach someone a trade or craft and my hat goes off to those that do this.
Again my thanks, most helpful

no worries, be aware that the tec cert and nvq will be replaced this year and go back to something we would recognise from years ago, its like the old apprenticeship system. the new qual is called an nvq diploma and is done in college and onsite therefore replacing the current nvq, there is no replacement for the tech cert, that has been withdrawn completly.
the only full time qual is a level 1 building services access to apprenticeship qual

Thanks again, just one last thing I know you've said it's being withdrawn but what is/was the tech cert?

MtY mate did his 6129 withj BTSC in Chessington.

he was doing th epart time modules.

I think hew did 4 full weeks (up to the lead week) an dthen they told him that he needed to do the rest full time which he couldn't do as eh worked full time. he passed teh exams up until then also of which BTSC signed off for him as well as the modules that he has passed through (jointing/bending/H&S/cold water/hot water/lead). He said he did soem guttering, the airing cupboard and lead also which was terrible he siad!

He then finished with BTSC as he couldn't fulfill the other modules on a FT basis. i told his to seek advice and he went to Citizens Advice. Although they said his contract was pretty tight he also had a verbal contract regarding teh modules being able to be taken on a PT basis. he went to small claims an dreceived 50% of his cash back as well as his costs.

Just wonering now, he is going to start college with me in September, can he get some credits for his completed modules? I'll tell hinm to have a look on here also.

Intereting thought.

BTSC are sharks, I spoke to them, salesman and their patter is pathetic, last place is being offered! Load of rubbish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Taking on BTSC in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock