Search the forum,

Discuss Taking on an apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell

Gas Engineer
Does anyone know the best place to get funding and stuff for taking in an apprentice. I'm from Motherwell and looking to see if anyone has any recent experience. Was looking into snipef but they only give you help from year 3/4?

Try and phone South lanarkshire college the one in East kilbride that's where most apprentices go they should b able to point you in the right direction

You'd have to pay them more then £1500 in there first year , fail to see why we should pay someone for us to train them imho , surely they should be paying us

You'd have to pay them more then £1500 in there first year , fail to see why we should pay someone for us to train them imho , surely they should be paying us

Because its not fair to expect people to work long days for free. And if You have a good one, to work hard for free. Not to mention all the rubbish your expected to take from co workers as an apprentice.

Because its not fair to expect people to work long days for free. And if You have a good one, to work hard for free. Not to mention all the rubbish your expected to take from co workers as an apprentice.

And there'd be no plumbers, gas engineers or any trade to speak of in the whole wide-world.

It's not fair either to spend hours training them so once there qualified to leave and set up on there own , that's part of been an apprentice taking the crap if you can't take it you won't survive in this trade

Yes it is. Citb do a grant scheme
[DLMURL="http://www.citb.co.uk/levy-grant/grants-available/apprenticeship-grant-scotland/"]Apprenticeship Grant in Scotland - CITB[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's simple: when the apprentice signs-up with you, you place a period of time said apprentice has to stop with your company after he/she is fully trained-up with the proper qualifications.

It's not fair either to spend hours training them so once there qualified to leave and set up on there own , that's part of been an apprentice taking the crap if you can't take it you won't survive in this trade

There used to be a time when it was the norm to leave a company once out of your time. Nowadays work is not as plentiful. For a apprentice to leave they must be offered something better. Unless your saying they leave in favour of worse working conditions pay etc.

Probably not enforceable in Law, and anyway the opportunity for your apprentice to embarrass you with simple mistakes, should you attempt to hold on to him, should not be overlooked.

It's simple: when the apprentice signs-up with you, you place a period of time said apprentice has to stop with your company after he/she is fully trained-up with the proper qualifications.

Thats how it used to work, but I don't think indentured labour is legal any more.

And what do you do if he doesn't turn up, or misbehaves? Sack him?

Sign up no apprentices, lets have a self built skills shortage... That way we can hike up are prices so we can earn as much as people think we do in years to come :)

Haven't looked through all this Ray, but surely there's something in some sort of agreement on contract which would bind the apprentice to the company he/she's employed with.
If not, as an employer, I'd be looking for a way to bind said apprentice.
Terms of dismissal are mentioned, I see.
From my own point of view, I'd give my nippers employer, or have , some sort of contract drawn-up just for the employers piece of mind.
If he wishes to opt out at anytime then he can go ahead.
https://www.crunch.co.uk/blog/small-business-advice/2012/06/20/taking-on-an-apprentice-the-full-details/

Last edited:
The company I was apprenticed to keep their apprentices after they finished their time by holding a retention for a year or two. Not sure if the retention comes from the apprentices wage or whether the company just bungs money into a fund to pay the blokes a couple of years after they've done their time........either way they seem to keep their blokes for quite awhile

My hands are firmly in my pockets.

Taking an apprentice on is a serious decision, I've never done it but do think I've got something to offer and would hope the right person would then stay on and keep working for my company, big commitment though and theirs a lot of people on here asking to build their experience with a view to starting up on there own.

i am worried about taking on an apprentice for a few reasons. (I have taken on many in the past who have ALL continued in plumbing and heating)

Firstly, maybe it's me. But we have a generation who don't mess about with tools and make things as kids. Everyone wants to tap a computer keyboard for a job. I tried out a lad who had never used a hammer (18 yo)! So they have no knack for using tools, or any interest in making or fixing things. Therefore, the trade gets the young school leavers who take to a trade because there is nothing else left for them with their qualifications. My wife works in a local college, and they send me 18/19 year olds who have a full time plumbing apprpentiship at college. I have them for 1- 5 days and give them a bit of an insight into the real world of the job. Most are pleasant and punctual. But all ask the same question within an hour or two. How much will I earn once I'm qualified. I tell them the hourly rate I charge and the hourly rate a qualified plumber would get round here. They ALL then say how come we read in the papers that plumbers are earning a fortune!??
Secondly. Wages.
I charge at the top end of what a one man band locally to me can get away with. I'm about £5 an hour cheaper than what page companies charge round here. This does not give me any profit to employ a time saved plumber. So an apprentice route looks good. But with the living wage coming in I can't see it working.
Let's say I take a guy or gal on as an apprentice. In three years when the living wage comes in, I will pay him it. He now has an belief he is only on minimum wage! He is one yeear from qualifying and after that his wage will go up ad an adult £3.50 to £12.50 an hour ( that's the gong rate on the books round here) he would get more working in a supermarket!

The only way over this is to charge more. Which is easier said than done. And promote skills at school.
But in this iPad world ( I'm on one now) I'm not sure it's going yo happen.

Rant over :dita:

Sign up no apprentices, lets have a self built skills shortage... That way we can hike up are prices so we can earn as much as people think we do in years to come :)

I think you've hit the nail, dead centre, on the head with that reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Taking on an apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock