Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss tado smart thermostat / vokera 25he in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. chenks

chenks Member

anyone know if it's possible to use a tado smart thermostat with a vokera 25he?

at the moment there is no roomstat at all. to use heating i need to go to the boiler and turn it on manually (ie turn it from hot water only to heating/hot water).

2. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

Yes I’ve installed it a few times.

Tado is owned by homeserve and they were giving them away free.

3. chenks

chenks Member

how would it install though? as my boiler currently has no roomstats at all.

i don't see anything included in the kit that connects to the boiler.
    it seems to assume you already have an existing roomstat to replace.

4. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

I’ve done new installs also upgraded to a Tado.

You can’t remove the cover off the boiler. Tado/homeserve offer an installation service get them out or get a competent gas engineer to install it.

Usually you get a bridge, thermostat and/or extension kit that is optional.

5. chenks

chenks Member

i work for a large gas maintenance company, so getting an gas safe engineer to do it for me won't be an issue.

so the bridge is supplied? or is that an optional extra?

6. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

The bridge is not an optional extra (the bridge usually connects to the router)

Ask the gas engineer to install it for you it’s pretty simple.

A lot of folk I know don’t like installing them.

7. chenks

chenks Member

ok i'm confused then.
    if the bridge connects to the router, where is the connection to the boiler?

the thermostat itself is wireless, so something needs to be wired into the boiler. is that included in the kit?
    remember that my boiler currently has nothing at all.

8. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

The extension kit usually connects to the boiler also acts as a wireless receiver.

As I explained earlier get a gas engineer out and he’ll sort it out for you.

9. chenks

chenks Member

no point getting a gas engineer out until i've bought the required kit.
    the smart thermostat kit doesn't appear to have anything included to connect to the boiler, only has the roomstat and the bridge.

the start kit includes -
    Smart Thermostat, Internet Bridge, USB cables, connectors, ethernet cable, mounting screws, adhesive pads, labeling for cables, screwdriver, 3 AAA batteries

so as i asked, i would need to buy extra kit to have this connected up or does the bridge get physically wired to the boiler and also connect to the wifi? my understanding is that the internet bridge would not physically be wired to the boiler. this suggest i'd need to buy something else on top of the starter kit. the starter kit assumes you alread have a wired connection to the boiler.

10. sparkie30

sparkie30 Member

Nest would be my choice, made by google.

11. chenks

chenks Member

would still have the same issue with nest though.
    does the nest come with the required kit to connect to the boiler? or does it assume you already have that in place?

12. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

You’ll need the extension kit.

13. sparkie30

sparkie30 Member

Nest comes with heat link which connects to the boiler and the thermostat which can be placed anywhere but the thermosta requires e 12vdc supply either from heat link or can be plugged into usb lead which comes with nest.

14. chenks

chenks Member

sod that then.
    that would make it £199 + £89.

at that price the nest is a better product.

15. sparkie30

sparkie30 Member

Since you have a combi boiler you need a second generation stat.